Question FPS and stuttering in all games on high end PC (video)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Hello, every single game I play suffers from fps drops and stuttering, I need to figure out what is causing it but have no idea what I am even supposed to be looking for. I would really appreciate the help as this has been bugging me since 2017 and nothing seems to fix it, no matter what I replace.

Also, just to get a few things out of the way that might get asked:

I have reset Windows multiple times, which never helped. I don't have any dodgy programs installed that could be causing the performance issues, I have tried Malwarebytes many times, it never finds any issues. I have XMP turned on, having it on or off changes nothing. Yes, the display port is connected to the GPU and not the motherboard.

If you have any questions please just ask, thank you.

Here is a video of me playing Battlefield V as an example, although the fps may look like it stabilizes throughout the video, it definitely does not feel like that, its a stuttering mess and just feels horrible, it's like this for every game I play, even in Minecraft believe it or not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHeAjE21-0

Current specs:
RTX 2080 Super
i7 7700k
Maximus IX Hero
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Corsair RM850x PSU

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Have you reinstalled Windows 10 and installed the latest updates? Not just reset Windows.

Also have you tried High performance Mode in power settings?

Also can you minimize that graph window a bit and scroll over to show the part with actual activity. I'm sorry its impossible to read here on my work laptop.

Sorry about that, is this better?

And I have tried different performance modes and there was no difference. Also, I have reinstalled Windows 10 in the past, last time being a few weeks ago, everything is also up to date.

30C under load? CPU power sitting under 25W the whole time? Doesn't really explain why the GPU is cool as well, like they aren't even trying, yet you can play/record???

Stutters coincide with huge dips in CPU core speed?

Only things I can see.

CPU not getting enough voltage perhaps?

Is windows set to maximum battery life or something? (I know it sounds weird, but Windows is stupid and they don't distinguish between desktops and laptops for reasons unknown)

Maybe go to the BIOS and disable all the power saving functions for the CPU (C-states) setting a fixed 4.4Ghz and seeing if the problem goes away.

Windows is set to the default balanced setting in the power settings, setting it to high power doesn't change anything performance-wise. How do I go about finding out if the CPU isn't getting enough voltage?

I could go into the bios but I feel like I would just get lost and turn something off or on that I shouldn't. Do you have any idea whereabouts those power saver settings would be?

1440P at 144 Hz? IN BF5?

I don't think the GPU is capable of sustained 144 fps in BF5...meaning, you are likely dropping sync every time it falls (frequently) below that threshold...

Try 1080P, or, reduced quality/details... if stuttering stops, you are done.

Is the 7700K (admittedly a nice CPU, I'm on one!) shown to be capable of sustained 144 FPS in BF5? I doubt it.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
1440P at 144 Hz? IN BF5?

I don't think the GPU is capable of sustained 144 fps in BF5...meaning, you are likely dropping sync every time it falls (frequently) below that threshold...

Try 1080P, or, reduced quality/details... if stuttering stops, you are done.

Is the 7700K (admittedly a nice CPU, I'm on one!) shown to be capable of sustained 144 FPS in BF5? I doubt it.

I never said I was trying to sustain 144fps, but an RTX 2080 Super and an i7 7700k should not be having the issues that I am having, it does not matter which frame rate I lock the game at, 120fps, 100fps, 60fps, I get terrible stutter and fps drops no matter what, and this is in every game, not just Battlefield V, even Minecraft is unplayable. The RTX 2080 is more than enough for 1440p.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Have you reinstalled Windows 10 and installed the latest updates? Not just reset Windows.

Also have you tried High performance Mode in power settings?

Also can you minimize that graph window a bit and scroll over to show the part with actual activity. I'm sorry its impossible to read here on my work laptop.

Here is another, no idea if it will help. But I was playing Battlefield V for like 5 minutes and was getting really bad fps drops, no idea if it will show up in that graph though.

Install and then run HWMonitor...

Install/run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU for 10 minutes

What clock speeds do you see in HWMonitor? (If all is 'stock', you should see 4.2 GHz all-core turbo; if MCE is enabled on a 7700K, you should see 4.5 GHz on all cores, if cooling allows)

In Balanced Mode (never use economy anywhere, BIOS or in OS!), you will see low clock speeds of 800-1200 MHz when just loafing around on desktop, and, clock speeds as high as possible (minimum 4.2 GHz) on an all-core heavy load as long as in Balanced Power Plan....

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Install and then run HWMonitor...

Install/run CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU for 10 minutes

What clock speeds do you see in HWMonitor? (If all is 'stock', you should see 4.2 GHz all-core turbo; if MCE is enabled on a 7700K, you should see 4.5 GHz on all cores, if cooling allows)

In Balanced Mode (never use economy anywhere, BIOS or in OS!), you will see low clock speeds of 800-1200 MHz when just loafing around on desktop, and, clock speeds as high as possible (minimum 4.2 GHz) on an all-core heavy load as long as in Balanced Power Plan....

I actually did a stress test with HWMonitor a few days ago and still have it on my PC, it's here if you want to look at it, it means nothing to me. I left the test running for like 30 minutes.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
I am starting to wonder if maybe it's not the PC causing the issues, but perhaps the wiring in my house? Honestly, just think about it, I have replaced everything in this PC multiple times and the issue still remains? That makes no sense whatsoever. I will probably take my PC and monitor to another house in the coming days to see if it works. If it works then I know its the wiring in my house that is the cause.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Sorry about that, is this better?

And I have tried different performance modes and there was no difference. Also, I have reinstalled Windows 10 in the past, last time being a few weeks ago, everything is also up to date.

Windows is set to the default balanced setting in the power settings, setting it to high power doesn't change anything performance-wise. How do I go about finding out if the CPU isn't getting enough voltage?

I could go into the bios but I feel like I would just get lost and turn something off or on that I shouldn't. Do you have any idea whereabouts those power saver settings would be?

Those results just don't make sense, your CPU is barely getting hot, unless you are keeping it in a walk in freezer its just not possible.. Everything in your system seems to not be performing properly.

What PSU are you using?

You mentioned wiring in your house, what makes you suspect wiring.

I mean in theory I guess if your outlets were not providing enough voltage that could cause problems.... Do you have your computer plugged into the same circuit as the washer and dryer?

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Those results just don't make sense, your CPU is barely getting hot, unless you are keeping it in a walk in freezer its just not possible.. Everything in your system seems to not be performing properly.

What PSU are you using?

You mentioned wiring in your house, what makes you suspect wiring.

I mean in theory I guess if your outlets were not providing enough voltage that could cause problems.... Do you have your computer plugged into the same circuit as the washer and dryer?

My PSU is the Corsair RM850x, but just like everything else, its been replaced before. The only reason I mentioned the wiring is that I just can not think of anything else that could be the cause. If everything in the computer has been replaced multiple times, then surely it has to be something else right? But the only thing is, I just turned off the electric in every room except for the room that my PC is in and it still ran like crap, so I really don't know to be honest. Very frustrating indeed. I have also tried every outlet in the past and it all ran the same.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
My PSU is the Corsair RM850x, but just like everything else, its been replaced before. The only reason I mentioned the wiring is that I just can not think of anything else that could be the cause. If everything in the computer has been replaced multiple times, then surely it has to be something else right? But the only thing is, I just turned off the electric in every room except for the room that my PC is in and it still ran like crap, so I really don't know to be honest. Very frustrating indeed. I have also tried every outlet in the past and it all ran the same.

I mean like I said you have very bizarre results. Your results don't look like the game is running basically.

In theory if your house had a power issue and your outlet was only putting out say 95v, that would cause you all sorts of problems. But all your appliances would "run slow".

Do you own a multimeter? I'd suggest watching this video and testing the outlet you primarily use per the video. Let me know the results.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K7trFVRnwU

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
I mean like I said you have very bizarre results. Your results don't look like the game is running basically.

In theory if your house had a power issue and your outlet was only putting out say 95v, that would cause you all sorts of problems. But all your appliances would "run slow".

Do you own a multimeter? I'd suggest watching this video and testing the outlet you primarily use per the video. Let me know the results.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K7trFVRnwU

Thank you, I shall check that video out now. Honestly, though, the only thing I can think of being the cause is either the wiring in my house or I messed up building the PC somewhere, which I doubt because I followed multiple guides before even starting.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thank you, I shall check that video out now. Honestly, though, the only thing I can think of being the cause is either the wiring in my house or I messed up building the PC somewhere, which I doubt because I followed multiple guides before even starting and let's be honest, its all really that hard.

You're right, its not really all that complicated (and no where near where it once was), and just putting it together, installing windows and drivers, and making sure its not running hot basically covers your bases for reasonable performance. As I said the results you are getting simply don't make sense which tells me either you have a very strange power issue, or you aren't telling me some important detail. I'm going to assume you've told me all details obviously.

You need a multimeter to do the task in the video. You can usually get an ok enough one for $10-$20 at any hardware store or Microcenter.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
You're right, its not really all that complicated (and no where near where it once was), and just putting it together, installing windows and drivers, and making sure its not running hot basically covers your bases for reasonable performance. As I said the results you are getting simply don't make sense which tells me either you have a very strange power issue, or you aren't telling me some important detail. I'm going to assume you've told me all details obviously.

You need a multimeter to do the task in the video. You can usually get an ok enough one for $10-$20 at any hardware store or Microcenter.

Indeed, everyone that I have spoken to just can not understand the issue, and I have told you everything, I have no reason to hide anything, I would love nothing more than to have this issue fixed, it has been an issue for almost three years now after all.

Also, I have one of these, no idea if its what I need though.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Indeed, everyone that I have spoken to just can not understand the issue, and I have told you everything, I have no reason to hide anything, I would love nothing more than to have this issue fixed, it has been an issue for almost three years now after all.

Also, I have one of these, no idea if its what I need though.

No that won't do it, you need to check the Voltage. That seems to check power draw by Watts.

I didn't realize you were in the UK but the concept is the same. Your system is based on a 230v average, any number from the outlet significantly lower (say like 200-205, maybe 210), is a problem.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
No that won't do it, you need to check the Voltage. That seems to check power draw by Watts.

I didn't realize you were in the UK but the concept is the same. Your system is based on a 230v average, any number from the outlet significantly lower (say like 200-205, maybe 210), is a problem.

Okay, I shall look around for one and see if that shows anything, although I might take my PC to another house, if it works, then I know the issue is with the house wiring, I really hope that isn't the case as that will likely cost a lot to fix.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Okay, I shall look around for one and see if that shows anything, although I might take my PC to another house, if it works, then I know the issue is with the house wiring, I really hope that isn't the case as that will likely cost a lot to fix.

Yeah thats a quick option as well would be to bring it elsewhere. But if I were you I'd want to know. And it may be a power company issue not a house issue. IF (and thats a big IF) this is the issue it could even be dangerous with certain appliances.

Try it in another house and let us know how it goes.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Yeah thats a quick option as well would be to bring it elsewhere. But if I were you I'd want to know. And it may be a power company issue not a house issue. IF (and thats a big IF) this is the issue it could even be dangerous with certain appliances.

Try it in another house and let us know how it goes.

I will probably get this, I am assuming it is what I need, correct? :)

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I ordered one of those things and it should be here tomorrow.

Also, I just did a stress test on 3DMark and got a rating of 98.7 %, I just don't get it, all my games run like crap yet I still get a 98.7 % in a stress test? It's here if you want to look it at, but I doubt that it will tell you much.

Now thats weird. That should have been a low score or fail.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Now thats weird. That should have been a low score or fail.

Yep, I really don't understand it. It makes zero sense. Although, I did notice one thing when I was playing Destiny 2 earlier, I had Afterburner on in the background and when I was getting those fps drops I tabbed out and noticed that the "power %" graph had big dips for when the fps drops happened, could that mean anything?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yep, I really don't understand it. It makes zero sense. Although, I did notice one thing when I was playing Destiny 2 earlier, I had Afterburner on in the background and when I was getting those fps drops I tabbed out and noticed that the "power %" graph had big dips for when the fps drops happened, could that mean anything?

The GPU is slowing so it uses less power. That often is caused by whatever is feeding the GPU not feeding it data quickly enough... hence the fps drop.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
The GPU is slowing so it uses less power. That often is caused by whatever is feeding the GPU not feeding it data quickly enough... hence the fps drop.

Hello again, so I got that voltage reader thing and checked a few outlets around the house (including the outlet next to my PC while turned on) and basically, every outlet was around 230v. I checked the outlet next to my PC with it turned on and it read 234v, which I assume is normal as the UK average is around 230v and 240v.

That leads me to believe that the voltage is normal, I will still take it to another house just in case but as of right now, the voltage seems fine. So, the voltage is fine and all the components inside my PC have been replaced multiple times yet the issue remains, none of this makes any sense.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hello again, so I got that voltage reader thing and checked a few outlets around the house (including the outlet next to my PC while turned on) and basically, every outlet was around 230v. I checked the outlet next to my PC with it turned on and it read 234v, which I assume is normal as the UK average is around 230v and 240v.

That leads me to believe that the voltage is normal, I will still take it to another house just in case but as of right now, the voltage seems fine. So, the voltage is fine and all the components inside my PC have been replaced multiple times yet the issue remains, none of this makes any sense.

I agree and yeah your voltage is fine. That tool is still always a good thing to have so all is not wasted.

Just for the hell of it it is worth connecting elsewhere.

What monitor cable are you using? have you tried other cables?

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
I agree and yeah your voltage is fine. That tool is still always a good thing to have so all is not wasted.

Just for the hell of it it is worth connecting elsewhere.

What monitor cable are you using? have you tried other cables?

I have tried every outlet in the house but will take it somewhere else soon and I am using a display port cable and have tried other cables in the past, no difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.