Question FPS and stuttering in all games on high end PC (video)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Hello, every single game I play suffers from fps drops and stuttering, I need to figure out what is causing it but have no idea what I am even supposed to be looking for. I would really appreciate the help as this has been bugging me since 2017 and nothing seems to fix it, no matter what I replace.

Also, just to get a few things out of the way that might get asked:

I have reset Windows multiple times, which never helped. I don't have any dodgy programs installed that could be causing the performance issues, I have tried Malwarebytes many times, it never finds any issues. I have XMP turned on, having it on or off changes nothing. Yes, the display port is connected to the GPU and not the motherboard.

If you have any questions please just ask, thank you.

Here is a video of me playing Battlefield V as an example, although the fps may look like it stabilizes throughout the video, it definitely does not feel like that, its a stuttering mess and just feels horrible, it's like this for every game I play, even in Minecraft believe it or not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHeAjE21-0

Current specs:
RTX 2080 Super
i7 7700k
Maximus IX Hero
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Corsair RM850x PSU

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Strange again.

Ok I realize the ridiculousness of this but can you give me another video. The video you posted I don't see any issues.

Record one with a camera of the screen I want to see what you see. make sure your camera can at least record 60fps if not 120.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Strange again.

Ok I realize the ridiculousness of this but can you give me another video. The video you posted I don't see any issues.

Record one with a camera of the screen I want to see what you see. make sure your camera can at least record 60fps if not 120.

Sorry about the wait, I was charging my phone to record. The recording is at 60fps but you can clearly see the issues that I have been mentioning much clearer than my original video. Again, the recording is at 60fps and I was getting around 90fps in-game, so parts may look smooth in the video, but when you're actually playing it yourself, it feels nasty, you'll see for yourself in the video. Battlefield V seems to be a lot worse compared to other games, some other games will just stutter constantly and others will run like complete crap, no game ever runs smoothly though.

Here is the video anyway. I only just uploaded it so it is still rendering.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Also, I did try to record a few other games but the stutter really didn't seem to appear in the recordings, basically imagine playing at 30fps with fps drops and stutter, that is most games for me, despite getting like 100fps+ in most games, it never feels like that.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Sorry about the wait, I was charging my phone to record. The recording is at 60fps but you can clearly see the issues that I have been mentioning much clearer than my original video. Again, the recording is at 60fps and I was getting around 90fps in-game, so parts may look smooth in the video, but when you're actually playing it yourself, it feels nasty, you'll see for yourself in the video. Battlefield V seems to be a lot worse compared to other games, some other games will just stutter constantly and others will run like complete crap, no game ever runs smoothly though.

Here is the video anyway. I only just uploaded it so it is still rendering.

WOW thats awful especially at the beginning.

Couple questions looks like you're on lower graphical settings, does it do the same at higher ones?

Secondly what if anything is running in the background?

Third, it does the identical thing if you are not online and just playing single player?

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
WOW thats awful especially at the beginning.

Couple questions looks like you're on lower graphical settings, does it do the same at higher ones?

Secondly what if anything is running in the background?

Third, it does the identical thing if you are not online and just playing single player?

Yep, and actually the settings were on ultra, I think the graphics looked bad the start because it was still loading perhaps? And it doesn't matter what graphic settings I pick, it does it no matter what.

And nothing is running in the background, plus I don't have anything weird installed, just your usual game launchers like Steam, Uplay, GOG, Origin etc. And stuff like Spotify. Nothing runs in the background though, I have everything set not to start up on login.

And I get terrible performance in both online and single player modes, I was playing the Modern Warfare beta a few weeks back and even that ran like crap, I was really looking forward to it too.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yep, and actually the settings were on ultra, I think the graphics looked bad the start because it was still loading perhaps? And it doesn't matter what graphic settings I pick, it does it no matter what.

And nothing is running in the background, plus I don't have anything weird installed, just your usual game launchers like Steam, Uplay, GOG, Origin etc. And stuff like Spotify. Nothing runs in the background though, I have everything set not to start up on login.

And I get terrible performance in both online and single player modes, I was playing the Modern Warfare beta a few weeks back and even that ran like crap, I was really looking forward to it too.

Are you running it off a hard drive or SSD? Shouldn't have such loading issues unless you're playing off a 5400 rpm hard drive.

You have XMP on for your memory right?

Can you run CPU-Z and tell me what it shows for your memory?

Also give this a shot

https://www.memtest86.com/

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Are you running it off a hard drive or SSD? Shouldn't have such loading issues unless you're playing off a 5400 rpm hard drive.

You have XMP on for your memory right?

Can you run CPU-Z and tell me what it shows for your memory?

Also give this a shot

https://www.memtest86.com/

I'm running it off an SSD but have run it off a HDD in the past and there was no change. And yes, I have XMP turned on, having it off also has no effect. I've also used memtest and no errors were found.

I'll download CPU-Z now and let you know.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
You're right. Sorry just racking my brain because this is so bizarre.

When battlefield V is running can you show me your processes in task manager sorted descending by %

No worries, it makes no sense so I can relate to your confusion.

And like so?

Also, just in case you mention it. I know a lot of people say that Shadowplay causes fps drops, I deleted it but it never got rid of the issues, so I reinstalled it, plus its not even turned on. Also, I have the game bar turned off so no idea why its showing up in the task manager.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
No worries, it makes no sense so I can relate to your confusion.

And like so?

Also, just in case you mention it. I know a lot of people say that Shadowplay causes fps drops, I deleted it but it never got rid of the issues, so I reinstalled it, plus its not even turned on. Also, I have the game bar turned off so no idea why its showing up in the task manager.

Yep thats what I wanted to see, and unfortunately I see nothing else issue wise there.

It has to be something with your monitor output, thats all that makes sense.

What kind of connectivity does your monitor have besides DP?

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Yep thats what I wanted to see, and unfortunately I see nothing else issue wise there.

It has to be something with your monitor output, thats all that makes sense.

What kind of connectivity does your monitor have besides DP?

It has HDMI too, but I have already tried that. I also have a 1080p monitor but it does the same thing.

T-T

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Ok so I know you said you replaced a bunch of parts, what haven't you replaced?

No, I have replaced everything, I understand that makes no sense. But every single thing inside this computer has been replaced.

Case, motherboard (2 times), CPU (2 times), RAM (3 times), GPU (Tested multiple), PSU (3 times), storage (lost count). etc

I have replaced everything multiple times, which is why I mentioned the wiring in my house could be the cause, but now that I have checked the voltage, that seems fine. But as the video I recorded on my phone shows, something is obviously wrong yet everything has been replaced and it is driving me nuts. Some games are better than others, Destiny 2 runs pretty well but will stutter a lot and the performance will get really bad depending on what is going on, although I don't play it anymore, I tried to play Fortnite and that was unplayable. Left 4 Dead can not even run without crapping itself from all the stutter and fps drops, and again even Minecraft is unplayable, I should not be having these issues with an RTX 2080 Super and an i7 7700k. And I know that I have already said this but it's like this for every single game, maybe not as bad as in the video I recorded yesterday for you, but every game will suffer from stuttering and fps drops and its been like this non-stop for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.