Question FPS and stuttering in all games on high end PC (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Hello, every single game I play suffers from fps drops and stuttering, I need to figure out what is causing it but have no idea what I am even supposed to be looking for. I would really appreciate the help as this has been bugging me since 2017 and nothing seems to fix it, no matter what I replace.

Also, just to get a few things out of the way that might get asked:

I have reset Windows multiple times, which never helped. I don't have any dodgy programs installed that could be causing the performance issues, I have tried Malwarebytes many times, it never finds any issues. I have XMP turned on, having it on or off changes nothing. Yes, the display port is connected to the GPU and not the motherboard.

If you have any questions please just ask, thank you.

Here is a video of me playing Battlefield V as an example, although the fps may look like it stabilizes throughout the video, it definitely does not feel like that, its a stuttering mess and just feels horrible, it's like this for every game I play, even in Minecraft believe it or not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHeAjE21-0

Current specs:
RTX 2080 Super
i7 7700k
Maximus IX Hero
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Corsair RM850x PSU

Diddly

Distinguished
Can't really tell from the video, except when the camera seems to drop into the scene from a great height.
What resolution are you playing at and what frequency? - what monitor have you got? If you're running with a 60Hz monitor, have you tried turning on v-sync? It "might" help. Switch off any anti-virus tools you have running in the background. check task manager - look for anything hogging the cpu intermittently.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Can't really tell from the video, except when the camera seems to drop into the scene from a great height.
What resolution are you playing at and what frequency? - what monitor have you got? If you're running with a 60Hz monitor, have you tried turning on v-sync? It "might" help. Switch off any anti-virus tools you have running in the background. check task manager - look for anything hogging the cpu intermittently.

Hello, I am running it on a 144hz G-sync 1440p monitor and have vsync turned off. Also, I don't have any antiviruses so that isn't the issue. And nothing is hogging the CPU either.

Sep 17, 2019
this is normal BFV performance. lower the settings to medium and install windows 8.1 instead of 10. Also if you dont mind input latency, increase prerendered frames to 3 in graphics driver options.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
this is normal BFV performance. lower the settings to medium and install windows 8.1 instead of 10. Also if you dont mind input latency, increase prerendered frames to 3 in graphics driver options.

I said that this is every game not just Battlefield V. And I wouldn't consider it normal performance, I know many people that play the game and have no issues whatsoever, I also have a friend with the exact same build as me and he has none of these issues, they can play every game just fine, whereas I can not. I don't think the OS is the issue here.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hello, I am running it on a 144hz G-sync 1440p monitor and have vsync turned off. Also, I don't have any antiviruses so that isn't the issue. And nothing is hogging the CPU either.

Vsync is off, but do you have G-sync enabled? I also do not see any issues in the video but if its happening everywhere it sounds like microstutter. Can you make sure both your monitor is running at 144hz and also make sure that Gsync is on.

Try this site to see if it works properly:

https://www.testufo.com/gsync

This is a good test as well

https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

If these aren't working right your problem is a monitor issue

This is literally the most incorrect answer possible. Please stop telling people to downgrade Windows as a default solution. Its is not helpful, and not correct.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Vsync is off, but do you have G-sync enabled? I also do not see any issues in the video but if its happening everywhere it sounds like microstutter. Can you make sure both your monitor is running at 144hz and also make sure that Gsync is on.

Try this site to see if it works properly:

https://www.testufo.com/gsync

This is a good test as well

https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

If these aren't working right your problem is a monitor issue

This is literally the most incorrect answer possible. Please stop telling people to downgrade Windows as a default solution. Its is not helpful, and not correct.

Hello, I do indeed have g-sync turned on and v-sync is always off, the refresh rate is set to 144hz. Also, I tried the first link and it kept saying "stutter warning".

Also, I have tested it on two different monitors and also a TV and the performance was the same, I got a ton of fps drops and stuttering.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hello, I do indeed have g-sync turned on and v-sync is always off, the refresh rate is set to 144hz. Also, I tried the first link and it kept saying "stutter warning".

Also, I have tested it on two different monitors and also a TV and the performance was the same, I got a ton of fps drops and stuttering.

Try downloading the official Nvidia demo I linked. Stick with you 144hz monitor lets solve that problem alone.

Reactions: DMAN999

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
You're using the pendulum demo?

https://www.nvidia.com/coolstuff/demos

And its consistently choppy am I correct?

When you used that other test I linked what refresh rate did it say on the bottom?

Yes, G-SYNC Pendulum. And its nowhere near as bad as how my games run, in games I get constant stutter and fps drops that can freeze the game for a second or so, the G-SYNC Pendulum just feels a bit stuttery. And it says "165hz" as of right now. It doesn't matter if I set my refresh rate to 144hz though, I will still get the issues.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Yes, G-SYNC Pendulum. And its nowhere near as bad as how my games run, in games I get constant stutter and fps drops that can freeze the game for a second or so, the G-SYNC Pendulum just feels a bit stuttery. And it says "165hz" as of right now. It doesn't matter if I set my refresh rate to 144hz though, I will still get the issues.

Ok. I mean the pendulum with g-sync on should be super smooth. But lets put a pin in that for now.

All your gaming tests are they done while playing online? Do the games perform the same when offline?

Time to run some monitoring software while gaming. Run MSI Afterburner and look at the statistics mode. Try to identify by timing when the stutters (the big ones really) are happening, and share screen shots of the graphs (all of them) from Rivatuner so we can see when there are FPS drops what else is happening in your system.

I will assume you have already checked your CPU and GPU temps while gaming as well.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Ok. I mean the pendulum with g-sync on should be super smooth. But lets put a pin in that for now.

All your gaming tests are they done while playing online? Do the games perform the same when offline?

Time to run some monitoring software while gaming. Run MSI Afterburner and look at the statistics mode. Try to identify by timing when the stutters (the big ones really) are happening, and share screen shots of the graphs (all of them) from Rivatuner so we can see when there are FPS drops what else is happening in your system.

I will assume you have already checked your CPU and GPU temps while gaming as well.

It happens in any game, online or offline. Minecraft is unplayable which makes zero sense.

I am on the On Screen Display part of Afterburner now, which options should I make appear on the overlay? GPU temp, CPU temp, RAM stuff etc...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
It happens in any game, online or offline. Minecraft is unplayable which makes zero sense.

I am on the On Screen Display part of Afterburner now, which options should I make appear on the overlay? GPU temp, CPU temp, RAM stuff etc...

Forget the on screen display, There are graphs from the monitor I want to see the graphs after you play for a few minutes and get some stutters. Like play the game for a few minutes and then go out to the graphs and screen shot all of them and share here.

I am leaving work now so I may not answer for a while but these would help anyone here if someone gets here before I return.

Chad_40

Commendable
Mar 26, 2017
I had this problem for a bit after a fresh windows install. I managed to fix it simply by turning off windows game mode. Hope this helps. Sucks to have a nice pc and not even be able to enjoy it.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Sep 17, 2019
I said that this is every game not just Battlefield V. And I wouldn't consider it normal performance, I know many people that play the game and have no issues whatsoever, I also have a friend with the exact same build as me and he has none of these issues, they can play every game just fine, whereas I can not. I don't think the OS is the issue here.
can you tell us your friends GPU, CPU, RAM and what average FPS he has on ultra in bf5 please?

P.S. Rogue Leader, i dont get how making prerendered frames value 3 instead of his default 1 is worst advice possible.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
can you tell us your friends GPU, CPU, RAM and what average FPS he has on ultra in bf5 please?

P.S. Rogue Leader, i dont get how making prerendered frames value 3 instead of his default 1 is worst advice possible.

Because there is an actual problem with his system so messing with a setting like that is not going to solve it. That and the crux of your response was to downgrade to Win 8.1 which is absolute nonsense.

I suggest moving along so the OP can get some useful advice.

Chad_40

Commendable
Mar 26, 2017
did you disable it in registry, or just in windows search?
Just in the windows settings, I know it sounds super simple but I was in the same boat as you for about a month, trying literally everything, then this worked. Almost too good to be true

Also I am not sure if you use geforce experience but I have heard that launching games from it has caused problems for other users. Try uninstalling it and just installing the graphics drivers without geforce experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
This is a good point that Game mode is a mess for many people.

I turned off Game Mode but it had no effect on the performance. Also, I just played around 10 minutes of Battlefield V and took some photos of those Afterburner graphs. (The sudden dip at the end is likely to be me tabbing out of the game to take the screenshot) I did get a big fps drop just before tabbing out though. But as usual, the game was really stuttery and did not feel smooth at all.

Here are the photos.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Because there is an actual problem with his system so messing with a setting like that is not going to solve it. That and the crux of your response was to downgrade to Win 8.1 which is absolute nonsense.

I suggest moving along so the OP can get some useful advice.

Also, here is another. I just played Minecraft which somehow performs the worst. The stutter is so bad that it feels like the game is running at like 2fps.

Here are the screenshots.

Just to add, I can not recall if I have mentioned this. At one point, I completely replaced the motherboard and CPU hoping it would fix the issue. But it did not, I ended up having to go back to my previous motherboard and CPU because it did not help. This leads me to think it's not a CPU or motherboard issue, also I got the RTX 2080 Super last week hoping that would fix it, but it didn't either, which also means its not a GPU issue as it did the exact same thing on my other GPU. RAM is the exact same, replacing it does nothing, PSU has been replaced several times, CPU cooler too, same with SSD and HDDs, everything has been replaced yet the problem persists, it's just so frustrating. I have spent so much money trying to fix this and nothing ever works. Like, I have replaced literally everything yet nothing helped? How is that even possible? I don't have any weird programs installed that could be causing it either. It's just starting to become very stressful as I have no idea what could be the cause when everything has been replaced.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Have you reinstalled Windows 10 and installed the latest updates? Not just reset Windows.

Also have you tried High performance Mode in power settings?

Also can you minimize that graph window a bit and scroll over to show the part with actual activity. I'm sorry its impossible to read here on my work laptop.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
30C under load? CPU power sitting under 25W the whole time? Doesn't really explain why the GPU is cool as well, like they aren't even trying, yet you can play/record???

Stutters coincide with huge dips in CPU core speed?

Only things I can see.

CPU not getting enough voltage perhaps?

Is windows set to maximum battery life or something? (I know it sounds weird, but Windows is stupid and they don't distinguish between desktops and laptops for reasons unknown)

Maybe go to the BIOS and disable all the power saving functions for the CPU (C-states) setting a fixed 4.4Ghz and seeing if the problem goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.