Question FPS and stuttering in all games on high end PC (video)

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Hello, every single game I play suffers from fps drops and stuttering, I need to figure out what is causing it but have no idea what I am even supposed to be looking for. I would really appreciate the help as this has been bugging me since 2017 and nothing seems to fix it, no matter what I replace.

Also, just to get a few things out of the way that might get asked:

I have reset Windows multiple times, which never helped. I don't have any dodgy programs installed that could be causing the performance issues, I have tried Malwarebytes many times, it never finds any issues. I have XMP turned on, having it on or off changes nothing. Yes, the display port is connected to the GPU and not the motherboard.

If you have any questions please just ask, thank you.

Here is a video of me playing Battlefield V as an example, although the fps may look like it stabilizes throughout the video, it definitely does not feel like that, its a stuttering mess and just feels horrible, it's like this for every game I play, even in Minecraft believe it or not.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHeAjE21-0

Current specs:
RTX 2080 Super
i7 7700k
Maximus IX Hero
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Corsair RM850x PSU

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Interesting.... again could be software or hardware. Lets see what happens when plugged in elsewhere.

Hi, I know you said "Let's see what happens when plugged in elsewhere" but this is a new issue that has never happened in the three years that I have had the PC and has only started in the last three days or so. My PC keeps freezing, the first freeze was like two days ago when playing Destiny 2, then again yesterday when I was just sat on the desktop and then again a few minutes ago when playing Destiny 2 again.

How can I find out what is causing this? Because it never did this in the past and nothing seems to be showing up as a cause on Event Viewer.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Hi, I know you said "Let's see what happens when plugged in elsewhere" but this is a new issue that has never happened in the three years that I have had the PC and has only started in the last three days or so. My PC keeps freezing, the first freeze was like two days ago when playing Destiny 2, then again yesterday when I was just sat on the desktop and then again a few minutes ago when playing Destiny 2 again.

How can I find out what is causing this? Because it never did this in the past and nothing seems to be showing up as a cause on Event Viewer.

Is the system freezing completely or is it rebooting?

Are you getting a BSOD?

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
Ok yeah definitely start with testing the memory

Testing it now, will probably take a good few hours though.
Ok yeah definitely start with testing the memory

I'm about two hours into the test and so far no issues have been found, probably still got another two hours to go. If it finds nothing I might just completely reinstall Windows 10, that probably won't work but worth a try I guess.

Do you know how I go about resetting everything to their original drivers/settings for the motherboard, CPU etc? Would a reinstall do that?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Testing it now, will probably take a good few hours though.

I'm about two hours into the test and so far no issues have been found, probably still got another two hours to go. If it finds nothing I might just completely reinstall Windows 10, that probably won't work but worth a try I guess.

Do you know how I go about resetting everything to their original drivers/settings for the motherboard, CPU etc? Would a reinstall do that?

If you wipe your drive and reinstall Windows from a fresh media USB that will reset everything.

conorjdavies

Honorable
Aug 12, 2017
If you wipe your drive and reinstall Windows from a fresh media USB that will reset everything.

So, I finished Memtest, no errors were found. I then proceeded to completely reinstall Windows 10, so far it have not crashed, I have probably just jinxed myself though.

I won't be able to take my computer to another house for about a week, but I just played some Minecraft and used the Afterburner overlay, I don't know if you want to look at it but if you look at the graph at the bottom that shows the frame rate and frame time, you can see every time I get a stutter or fps drop, which is basically at all times, I have no idea what any of the other stuff means though, do you think there could be something on there that could help determine the cause?

Here is the video.

Here is a second video of another game, again you can see the stuttering and fps drops on the graph at the bottom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.