[SOLVED] Fps drop in games on nvidia gtx 1080 graphic card

Solution
An analogy is really just a "a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification". While the response was obviously intended as a suggestion, it's pretty hard to do that without first making such a comparison.

And while the older standard RAM doesn't in itself cause a bottleneck, it can certainly be part of what slows the process of the GPU getting the rendering data in a timely manner, thus contributing to the bottleneck.

It was first said when DDR4 came out that DDR3 was pretty close due to the higher timings on the new standard, but since then higher frequencies on DDR4 are plentiful and cheap. So we're now effectively comparing DDR3 to 3200 instead of 2133 or 2400, and then there's a...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
CPU bottleneck? Not enough ram?

Do some benchmarks.
What resolution are you running?
What settings?
How are your load temperatures looking?
What is the CPU usage when you experience these issues?
How much memory is used when Apex Legends is running?
GPU usage?

A fairly old CPU with a pretty beefy GPU, I can see that being a problem.

To a point I see Eximo's analogy, and would add that your using just DDR3 RAM

That said, Apex Legends is known to be not the best optimization wise, which is why people have taken to making guides for settings, and even advising changing the process priority to beyond normal in that game.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No analogies here, just a suggested course of action. Can't really offer anything else until more information is provided.

Memory bandwidth isn't typically that important when it comes to games. Just as long as what is in there is available to the CPU on demand. If it is exceeded, then that means loading from disk which could certainly explain stuttering.

An analogy is really just a "a comparison between two things, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification". While the response was obviously intended as a suggestion, it's pretty hard to do that without first making such a comparison.

And while the older standard RAM doesn't in itself cause a bottleneck, it can certainly be part of what slows the process of the GPU getting the rendering data in a timely manner, thus contributing to the bottleneck.

It was first said when DDR4 came out that DDR3 was pretty close due to the higher timings on the new standard, but since then higher frequencies on DDR4 are plentiful and cheap. So we're now effectively comparing DDR3 to 3200 instead of 2133 or 2400, and then there's a clear difference. It may not be a huge difference, but a difference just the same. You won't see that kind of difference so much in FPS as smoothness, and that's because when the RAM and CPU work well together, the GPU is less likely to throttle down and wait for that rendering data, which can cause stutter.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

I just fail to see what I was making a comparison to. Thought it was all self referential. An appeal to make a comparison to something else, but not provided. The last line about the CPU being older/slower compared to the GPU?

I make an effort to try and write unambiguously, so I am curious about the interpretation.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

It was first said when DDR4 came out that DDR3 was pretty close due to the higher timings on the new standard, but since then higher frequencies on DDR4 are plentiful and cheap. So we're now effectively comparing DDR3 to 3200 instead of 2133 or 2400, and then there's a clear difference. It may not be a huge difference, but a difference just the same. You won't see that kind of difference so much in FPS as smoothness, and that's because when the RAM and CPU work well together, the GPU is less likely to throttle down and wait for that rendering data, which can cause stutter.

Both generally true.

This is one of those times where talking about bottlenecks makes sense since there is quite a gap between the CPU and GPU. Bottlenecks in the rest of the system will just be contributing factors to the overall system performance.

My main focus on the memory is capacity. If the system is running into a hard limit that will cause lots of problems. The speed/latency/bandwidth are appropriate to the CPU in question. Not much can be done about that except for outright replacement. Which is basically a new computer. To justify that expense just need some data. I have a feeling the GPU is capable, probably not running into a PCIe 2.0 limitation (though maybe, depends on the resolution)

I would guess the older quad core just isn't up to it. Or the game is going to disk for data because the memory is full during gameplay. Minimum requirement is 6GB, not leaving much for the OS and background programs. So getting some more memory sticks might be a quick, cheap fix.

And if some budget is available, maybe a nice Ryzen build.

The obvious comparison to me was an unbalanced system vs a more balanced one.

Of course a new platform may take time depending on budget, but if it were me, I would avoid Ryzen unless the goal is strictly streaming, or a lot of multi tasking mixed with gaming sessions. With Ryzen there's even more worry about RAM speed, since the CPU is tied to it via it's Infinity Fabric.

Oct 7, 2019
CPU bottleneck? Not enough ram?

Do some benchmarks.
What resolution are you running?
What settings?
How are your load temperatures looking?
What is the CPU usage when you experience these issues?
How much memory is used when Apex Legends is running?
GPU usage?

A fairly old CPU with a pretty beefy GPU, I can see that being a problem.
i play on low settings , resolution is 1920 x 1080
This is the lowest fps i get when i look at the whole map
https://prnt.sc/pgqx0u
https://prnt.sc/pgr0y3
My fps drops when i go on a high altitude place on map ,
at some places my fps even reaches more then 190 , pls can u help

Last edited: