Question Fps drops in every game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

timkilber

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
I bought a Vega 56 and since then my Pc only causes weird problems...the card doesnt do what it is supposed to whatsoever.
So I ran MSI Kombuster stress test and this is what happened.
View: https://imgur.com/a/KlNP9IO

Everything seems to be broken in some way or another, do you think its the PSU, because everything ran just fine with my old gtx 1050ti.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 1600
AMD Vega 56
16 GB RAM
600 WATT beQuiet! PSU

The fact that my gpu crashes randomly and shuts down my pc for a couple of seconds and Overwatch says "Rendering Device lost" isnt very promising either. Something is broken....and I dont know what
Ah, that's different then. I believe it's the first time you mention the game was crashing.

As usual, the obvious questions: all power cables connected to the correct places and drivers up to date (including BIOS)?

Cheers!

timkilber

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
Ah, that's different then. I believe it's the first time you mention the game was crashing.

As usual, the obvious questions: all power cables connected to the correct places and drivers up to date (including BIOS)?

Cheers!
Everything up to date BIOS as well, everything plugged in the the right spot, tryed repluging and using different cabels (for gpu) nothing helps

timkilber

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
Have you tried using power limits on the card so it doesn't suck too much power to the point it crashes?

Cheers!
Thats the point, the card doesnt crash when using a lot of power. I just reduced the graphics to medium and it started crashing, like back to back crashing until I restart. The same thing used to happen when I tryed to use ReLive. After I turned it off the crashing appeared to have stopped, but now it came back for no reason. It's like my computer refuses to do something on lower settings.

Thats the point, the card doesnt crash when using a lot of power. I just reduced the graphics to medium and it started crashing, like back to back crashing until I restart. The same thing used to happen when I tryed to use ReLive. After I turned it off the crashing appeared to have stopped, but now it came back for no reason. It's like my computer refuses to do something on lower settings.
Maybe it's not the GPU then? How stressed is the CPU?

EDIT: In the context of power consumption and temps.

Cheers!

timkilber

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
Maybe it's not the GPU then? How stressed is the CPU?

EDIT: In the context of power consumption and temps.

Cheers!
I dunno where to check the power consumtion of my cpu but the clock is normal, no dropping, the usage hovers around at 40% and it is not getting hotter than 60C. Nothing makes sense.

What are the turbo clocks of your GPU? When you lower the details, the card will still hit its higher clock rates, regardless, so it could still be a power issue.

The other, weirder option, is for the drivers to be causing this, but I wouldn't have a way to confirm this.

Cheers!

timkilber

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
I can see the Framerate is capped at 300? Also, the GPU is boosting to 1544Mhz; that's quite high for a Vega56... Does it come with 8pin+6pin or dual 8pins? Given the Speeds its boosting to, it should come with dual 8pins.

Cheers!
Yes the max framrate you can get in Overwatch is 300. Regarding the powerdelivery yes, it has two 8 pin connectors (I have the Saphire Pulse Vega 56).
I have played a match on Epic(max settings) but even though I mostly stayed near 144fps it droped below that quite sometimes and the game did not feel smooth whatsoever, even if I was above 144fps.

In this benchmark as well: Dont mind the severe power consumtion drops as they occured while watching killcams of the enemies.

View: https://imgur.com/rk47oxT

Yes I have this exact PSU.
I have a small suspicion... You're not using the split cable for the GPU, right? As in, you're using the 2 independent 8pin cables for the GPU and not the one for the Motherboard.

There's something fishy about the 12v power split... If the 2 GPU power cables share the same 12v of the CPU, then your GPU may be getting starved and the only way to find out if that is the case is using a 4pin molex adapter to 8pin.

Cheers!

CPU :
I think this one is normal...
View: https://imgur.com/a/h2r6CiO

GPU:
Now this one becomes wierd...at first everything is normal besides the coreclock averageing at 1350mhz instead of the vega 56s 1550-1600mhz boost clock, but then it starts flucuating for no reason at all. The max temps it is reaching is 75C
View: https://imgur.com/a/qAyMVKn

PSU:
And this is the worst, not only does the gpu do the same thing again, my cpu reaches 95C, which should not happen at all
View: https://imgur.com/a/wfdQmDo

It just cant be the GPU because that is the third Vega 56 I have tested.
Can it be the BIOS?

Run cool and quiet. Boost the power limit. It should run cooler and faster.

Boost is just that. It's usually only good for very short periods. NVIDIA is guilty of the same thing. Only really good after market cooling solutions work at keeping you closer to the advertised boost rate.

Which model Vega 56?

timkilber

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
I have a small suspicion... You're not using the split cable for the GPU, right? As in, you're using the 2 independent 8pin cables for the GPU and not the one for the Motherboard.

There's something fishy about the 12v power split... If the 2 GPU power cables share the same 12v of the CPU, then your GPU may be getting starved and the only way to find out if that is the case is using a 4pin molex adapter to 8pin.

Cheers!
Well unfortunately I dont have such adapter. And yes, I am using 2 different cabels to power the gpu

timkilber

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
Run cool and quiet. Boost the power limit. It should run cooler and faster.

Boost is just that. It's usually only good for very short periods. NVIDIA is guilty of the same thing. Only really good after market cooling solutions work at keeping you closer to the advertised boost rate.

Which model Vega 56?
Saphire Pulse

timkilber

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
Do you have another graphics card lying around? This sounds GPU related to me. Did you buy the Vega 56 new, or used?
I had a GTX 1050ti before and everything seemed to be working fine. The Vega 56 was a brandnew card, the 3rd one I have to be honest. I sent the first one back because I thought it was the GPU, I had to send back the second one because of coil whine and every single one had similar issues, but I haven't tested all like I did with the one I have right now.

timkilber

Prominent
Feb 19, 2018
So I ran another test on Epic settings:
  1. I set powerlimit to 50%
  2. increased the renderscale from 100 to 150% so it's stressing the gpu more rather than the cpu
3.Overclocked the card by like 40mhz

And power consumption jumped up to 230-260 Watts (no weird drops) so no powerdelivery issues. Core clock is at around 1550-1580mhz.

All of the above leads me to think that those problem are somehow cpu bound but I dont know why or how, because there is certainly no throtteling at 60C or no throtteling at all for that matter. My GPU just doesnt want to do anything on low settings

Last edited: