[SOLVED] FPS drops in games - Have to restart PC to fix

Jun 21, 2019
I have a peculiar issue regarding FPS drops which I have no idea where to start.

Essentially I'll be playing quite a visually demanding game (most recently Metro Exodus at Ultra quality) and the game will drop from a smooth and consistent 75-90 FPS to 20-30. The same thing is seen if I open another game after closing Metro, for example, Borderlands 3 normally runs at 90 FPS however it will drop to the 60s and never get above 70. The only way to fix these FPS drops is to restart my PC. If I don't and continue playing, my PC will eventually completely freeze up in which case I am forced to restart it. I am quite sure it's not thermal throttling as my GPU never gets above 65 and CPU never gets above 55.

My specs are;
Intel Core i7-8700 (kept at default 3.2GHz)
Aorus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11G Xtreme Edition (not overclocked)
ASUS Prime H370M-Plus Motherboard
24Gb (2x8 and 2x4) Both Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666MHz DDR4
Corsair H115i Platinum AIO Cooler
EVGA Supernova 650 G2

I can attach a link to a log file recorded by GPU-Z to show details of what is happening (GPU load suddenly hits 99% but no signs of overheating or reduced clock speed)

Solution
What sort of drive do you have for Windows/games?

Issue might be related to drive & pagefile increasing overtime eventually slowing everything down until you restart and pagefile is cleared.

When games start to slow down check committed size in task manager under memory.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What sort of drive do you have for Windows/games?

Issue might be related to drive & pagefile increasing overtime eventually slowing everything down until you restart and pagefile is cleared.

When games start to slow down check committed size in task manager under memory.

Solution
Sep 17, 2019
I have a peculiar issue regarding FPS drops which I have no idea where to start.

Essentially I'll be playing quite a visually demanding game (most recently Metro Exodus at Ultra quality) and the game will drop from a smooth and consistent 75-90 FPS to 20-30. The same thing is seen if I open another game after closing Metro, for example, Borderlands 3 normally runs at 90 FPS however it will drop to the 60s and never get above 70. The only way to fix these FPS drops is to restart my PC. If I don't and continue playing, my PC will eventually completely freeze up in which case I am forced to restart it. I am quite sure it's not thermal throttling as my GPU never gets above 65 and CPU never gets above 55.

My specs are;
Intel Core i7-8700 (kept at default 3.2GHz)
Aorus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11G Xtreme Edition (not overclocked)
ASUS Prime H370M-Plus Motherboard
24Gb (2x8 and 2x4) Both Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666MHz DDR4
Corsair H115i Platinum AIO Cooler
EVGA Supernova 650 G2

I can attach a link to a log file recorded by GPU-Z to show details of what is happening (GPU load suddenly hits 99% but no signs of overheating or reduced clock speed)
your problem is that you use windows 10.

TRENDING THREADS