[SOLVED] Fps drops, no thermal throttling, I'm at a loss

Solution
XMP Profile 2 (3000mhz) Dual Channel 32GB 2x16GB I have tried multiple power plans to no avail I tried the bitsum power plan as well at one point and that also did not help and the PSU is 6 years old I found the email recipt and yes i have updated my bios
Okay, so 6 years for a CX is about as good as you can get. It has a 5 yr warranty. Whilst not the worst PSU, it's certainly not the best, and if the power delivery is not stable as it should be, it could very well be the cause. PSU's degrade over time.

Given all you've tried I'd consider swapping it out. If you want to be sure before purchasing a new one, you could bring to local repair store, get them to swap out and test for maybe £$€20 or so. Then you can decide if you need...
Mar 23, 2022
Build:
9700k 49ghz OC
1080ti FE
2TB HDD
250GB SSD
MSI Z370 Gaming Plus MOBO
Corsair CX750M not super old
144hz Acer Predator Montior & a 60hz monitor by acer

For the last year and a half, my pc has had these fps drops and I have tried to troubleshoot it on my own on many occasions. However, I am at my wits end and decided to ask for help.

I am going to attach a log to this post from about five minutes of gameplay. You can see the fps drops on the framerate sensor provided by RTSS but it doesn't show the whole fps drop only a drop of 2 to 3 frames whereas the drops are actually from my 144 frames down to about 90 on which when playing fast pace competitive games is a big nono.

list of things I have tried although I probably will have forgotten some
Fresh install of windows
DDU Graphics Drivers with a lot of different drivers
No, overclock
selective boot
I updated every driver in the device manager by hand
something with a COM Port which didn't help
and a bunch of stuff I can't remember atm

If you look at the log all my temps are good and clock are stable as well as my voltages and i have checked for viruses so I have no clue at this point what else could be causing it

Please Help,
Elhan

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022
Hey there,

We need slightly more info! :) Please provide your system details, along with monitor type/res and PSU.
Sorry! I accidentally pressed enter instead of shift enter and it posted this I was still writing it out I posted another one with all the other details if you wouldn't mind looking at it

Hey again,

Can you let us know what ram you have and in what configuration?

So, when you reset the OC's did you restore defaults in the bios? Or did you change back settings? If not try default, see if that helps.

Have you tried different power plans? High or Ultimate? This might also have an effect.

How old exactly is the PSU? You have a power hungry system at OC the 1080ti can suck up to 300+w , and although the PSU has enough watts, it's not exactly an OC type of PSU given it's medium level components. It might be it's not providing the correct power delivery for the GPU and is causing glitches.

Is your bios up to date?

Mar 23, 2022
Hey again,

Can you let us know what ram you have and in what configuration?

So, when you reset the OC's did you restore defaults in the bios? Or did you change back settings? If not try default, see if that helps.

Have you tried different power plans? High or Ultimate? This might also have an effect.

How old exactly is the PSU? You have a power hungry system at OC the 1080ti can suck up to 300+w , and although the PSU has enough watts, it's not exactly an OC type of PSU given it's medium level components. It might be it's not providing the correct power delivery for the GPU and is causing glitches.

Is your bios up to date?
XMP Profile 2 (3000mhz) Dual Channel 32GB 2x16GB I have tried multiple power plans to no avail I tried the bitsum power plan as well at one point and that also did not help and the PSU is 6 years old I found the email recipt and yes i have updated my bios

Last edited:
Okay, so 6 years for a CX is about as good as you can get. It has a 5 yr warranty. Whilst not the worst PSU, it's certainly not the best, and if the power delivery is not stable as it should be, it could very well be the cause. PSU's degrade over time.

Given all you've tried I'd consider swapping it out. If you want to be sure before purchasing a new one, you could bring to local repair store, get them to swap out and test for maybe £$€20 or so. Then you can decide if you need a new one (which I would suggest doing anyway).

There are some very decent Gold rated units now for reasonable prices (still not for nothing thoug, maybe 70-90 or so).

Solution
Mar 23, 2022

Given all you've tried I'd consider swapping it out. If you want to be sure before purchasing a new one, you could bring to local repair store, get them to swap out and test for maybe £$€20 or so. Then you can decide if you need a new one (which I would suggest doing anyway).

There are some very decent Gold rated units now for reasonable prices (still not for nothing thoug, maybe 70-90 or so).
Is there any way to test and see if my psu is the problem without buying another or is the only way to test it trial and error

Mar 23, 2022

Would you recommend upgrading from 750 to a higher wattage, gold rated PSU or would it be better if i were to get the same one again