Question FPS issue and overall computer buffering, NOT from internet

May 27, 2022
Hello there,

My computer used to run all my games fine, very little if any buffer on opening windows or new tabs etc, and my internet (ethernet) works fine as well (ping is always low and videos don't buffer), so I know the issue is with my computer.

Yesterday morning I used my computer and it worked like it always had, no issues. I closed the laptop so it went to sleep how I always leave it, and go to work. I came home from work to find everything being very slow and find it near impossible to play games (valorant/league of legends/minecraft) with the fps I was getting (at the lowest around 5-10), my microphone on my headset stopped working (fixed it but this has never happened before) and restarted my computer 3-4 times last night.

I went onto Intel and NVIDIA's websites and updated my GPU and CPU's drivers, which didn't fix the problem. Not really knowledgable about this stuff and Google is not really being my friend with this problem, so hopefully I can get some help here. My computer is relatively new (just under 2 years old) so I don't think it's hardware failure.

Specs:
Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 15IIL05
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX330
CPU: Core i7-1065G7 10th Gen with integrated Intel Iris Plus Graphics GPU
16gb RAM DDR4 3200MHz
1TB SSD 36% full

If you need any other information please let me know, any help is appreciated!

Hello there,

My computer used to run all my games fine, very little if any buffer on opening windows or new tabs etc, and my internet (ethernet) works fine as well (ping is always low and videos don't buffer), so I know the issue is with my computer.

Yesterday morning I used my computer and it worked like it always had, no issues. I closed the laptop so it went to sleep how I always leave it, and go to work. I came home from work to find everything being very slow and find it near impossible to play games (valorant/league of legends/minecraft) with the fps I was getting (at the lowest around 5-10), my microphone on my headset stopped working (fixed it but this has never happened before) and restarted my computer 3-4 times last night.

I went onto Intel and NVIDIA's websites and updated my GPU and CPU's drivers, which didn't fix the problem. Not really knowledgable about this stuff and Google is not really being my friend with this problem, so hopefully I can get some help here. My computer is relatively new (just under 2 years old) so I don't think it's hardware failure.

Specs:
Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5 15IIL05
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX330
CPU: Core i7-1065G7 10th Gen with integrated Intel Iris Plus Graphics GPU
16gb RAM DDR4 3200MHz
1TB SSD 36% full

If you need any other information please let me know, any help is appreciated!
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 8 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall Intel Chipset Driver (it should be called Intel LPC Controller) and Intel Management Engine Interface in device manager (if there is none, skip it.), after that Update to this bios (prolly need reboot after it) and this ME Firmware (extract folder and run install.exe)
  • boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver and ME Driver, then reboot.
  • Install the latest nvidia driver , and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step in orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow.

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.

May 27, 2022
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 8 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall Intel Chipset Driver (it should be called Intel LPC Controller) and Intel Management Engine Interface in device manager (if there is none, skip it.), after that Update to this bios (prolly need reboot after it) and this ME Firmware (extract folder and run install.exe)
  • boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver and ME Driver, then reboot.
  • Install the latest nvidia driver , and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step in orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow.

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update). Don't forget to turn on Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling (Nvidia GPUs only) in graphics settings and reboot.
Thank you for your response!

I read through your post and have downloaded everything except for the Chipset Driver and the ME Driver, which would not download when I clicked on the links, nor when I clicked on the download button on the page itself; it would just open a new page and nothing would happen. I tried making an account on the website, tried another browser, and nothing worked. Not sure if you have a fix for that or if I should try and get those files from another site. Regardless, as soon as I can get them I will run through all those steps in order.

Also, just wanted to make sure that when you said "Uninstall gpu driver using DDU," you mean to use Display Driver Uninstaller, correct?

Thank you for your response!

I read through your post and have downloaded everything except for the Chipset Driver and the ME Driver, which would not download when I clicked on the links, nor when I clicked on the download button on the page itself; it would just open a new page and nothing would happen. I tried making an account on the website, tried another browser, and nothing worked. Not sure if you have a fix for that or if I should try and get those files from another site. Regardless, as soon as I can get them I will run through all those steps in order.

Also, just wanted to make sure that when you said "Uninstall gpu driver using DDU," you mean to use Display Driver Uninstaller, correct?
Correct, it's DDU abbreviation XD

also after you press download and it does nothing, try to press download again and wait for some seconds, or use internet download manager. i used both native chrome and idm it worked both.

May 27, 2022
Correct, it's DDU abbreviation XD

also after you press download and it does nothing, try to press download again and wait for some seconds, or use internet download manager. i used both native chrome and idm it worked both.
Looks like IDM works nicely!

I am now going to go through all of the steps you listed, and thanks for responding so quickly!

Reactions: Koekieezz
May 27, 2022
Seems like nothing has changed, the drivers have been updated properly but the buffering and FPS lag is still there. I've noticed that whenever I open a new application the Desktop Window Manager is taking up almost as much GPU percentage or sometimes even MORE than the app that I am opening up. I tried the few basic suggestions that come up on Google like scanning for malware, turning off screensavers, etc but nothing has changed.

This is the version it says I have: 13.0.60.2101
Yup! everythings the latest.

Seems like nothing has changed, the drivers have been updated properly but the buffering and FPS lag is still there. I've noticed that whenever I open a new application the Desktop Window Manager is taking up almost as much GPU percentage or sometimes even MORE than the app that I am opening up. I tried the few basic suggestions that come up on Google like scanning for malware, turning off screensavers, etc but nothing has changed.
By buffering you did mean stutters or delay?

Mostly delay; everything takes much longer to load than it normally does (loading apps up mostly). There is no network/internet buffer though, my connection works fine and is actually pretty good.
this is a weird suggestion, but have you tried to disable fastboot both on power plan settings (try to find it, its not on the power plans but on the menu there) and disable fast boot on bios? my friend does have the same issues as you yesterday with addition of blackscreen and hella stutters on game (6800H + RTX 3050), but once he disable it cause hes curious, it does fix all of them some how.. prolly try it yourself.

also try to retrim your ssd on cmd as admin with this:

defrag (your ssd volume for example C: ) /l /u /v then do the same but /o /u /v, and reboot.

May 27, 2022
this is a weird suggestion, but have you tried to disable fastboot both on power plan settings (try to find it, its not on the power plans but on the menu there) and disable fast boot on bios? my friend does have the same issues as you yesterday with addition of blackscreen and hella stutters on game (6800H + RTX 3050), but once he disable it cause hes curious, it does fix all of them some how.. prolly try it yourself.

also try to retrim your ssd on cmd as admin with this:

defrag (your ssd volume for example C: ) /l /u /v then do the same but /o /u /v, and reboot.
Sorry for the late response, and thank you for continuing to help!

I already had fast start disabled in the power plan settings, and I will disable the fast boot on bios after posting this. To clarify your next statement, I wanna be exactly sure with how I type this out (I'm not super saavy with this stuff so just trying to get it right before I messup my system):
defrag C: /l /u /v
and
defrag C: /o /u /v
Is this correct?

Also, I posted my question on Reddit as well and someone there suggested to reinstall Windows after backing up my data. Would you suggest trying this as well if the above doesn't work?

Sorry for the late response, and thank you for continuing to help!

I already had fast start disabled in the power plan settings, and I will disable the fast boot on bios after posting this. To clarify your next statement, I wanna be exactly sure with how I type this out (I'm not super saavy with this stuff so just trying to get it right before I messup my system):
defrag C: /l /u /v
and
defrag C: /o /u /v
Is this correct?

Also, I posted my question on Reddit as well and someone there suggested to reinstall Windows after backing up my data. Would you suggest trying this as well if the above doesn't work?
yes, its just for retrimming, prolly wont help but should try. if your drive/ssd only C: then just do C: , if there anywhere else, then do to other volume. for hdd just do /d /o /u /v and all done.

May 27, 2022
yes, its just for retrimming, prolly wont help but should try. if your drive/ssd only C: then just do C: , if there anywhere else, then do to other volume. for hdd just do /d /o /u /v and all done.
Gave it a try, no difference as far as I could tell. I think I'm going to go ahead and try a fresh install of windows 10. Hopefully this fixes it. Otherwise, the warranty is gunna come in handy.

Reactions: Koekieezz