Question FPS issues after changing RAM configuration

Jul 11, 2022
System specs:

Case: LIAN Li O11 Dynamic XL
1000 Watt Corsair RM1000x ATX Modular with

CableMod C-Series PRO ModMesh Cable Kit für RMi/RMx/RM (Black Label) - schwarz/blutrot

6 x Corsair LL 120 RGB fans:

3 x on side panel (push)
3 x on bottom (pull)
3 x as replacement for Lian Li Galahad standard fans (pull)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.70GHz So.AM4 WOF
Lian Li GALAHAD 360 DRGB

replaced fans with 3 x Corsair LL 120 RGB (pull)
AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Graphics
AMD RYZEN™ 9 5900X Processor
4 x G. Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX (CL18-22-22-42) / in total 4 x 8GB modules
2 x 1000GB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4. 3D-NAND TLC
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E WIFI
HP Omen X27 240HZ @ 2K monitor / connected via Displayport
Windows 10

I'am currently playing Hunt:Showdown ( iam playing at 2k and 144 FPS capped)

The game is know to have some issues, but even with this system i have some unexplainable FPS issues (fps drops, low utilization and so on) which i tried to fix.

Iam capping the game at 144 FPS but sometimes have drops to 80-90 FPS and stutters.

(At this time, i had used DDU to install clean drivers, disable iCue which some users have reportedly problems with and XMP was activated)

Then i figured out that i made a mistake on my build. I've used 4 x 8GB instead of 2 x 16GB because AM4 doesnt even support quad channel. And i've
read that this could be a issue to the CPU and cause it to downclock or whatever i understood ;)

So i tried to remove 2 sticks and left 2 inside (1 x in Slot 1, 1 x in Slot 3 / dual channel).

But now the FPS issue got WAY WAY WAY worse?

At first, my PC wouldn't even wanted to boot properly and was booted to POST/safeboot but now works again.

I still get 144 FPS (capped) but now the drops go 55-60 sometimes. The RAM utilization showed 8-9GBGB max.

My question:

1) Is it true, that removing two sticks from 4x8GB when only dual channel is supported can cause problems/put unecessary load to the system?

2) I've expected that the game is running at least the same FPS if not better after removing two sticks, because quad channel wasn't supported anyway
and 16GB (2x8) should still be enough.

Is this expected behaviour, that now everything is worse?

3) Was it normal, that after removing two RAM-sticks, that the system wouldn't boot properly? / boost to POST/secure boot only

4) CPU-Z shows on memory tab: 1066.4 mhz on DRAM frequency, is this normal when XMP is enabled? that should be only 2132 mhz in dual channel, right? isnt it supposed to show 1800 mhz (it's DDR-4-3600 ram).

4) What else can i do/try or what to test systematically?

Thank you in advance!

Space for additional infos/updates:

1. Ive just rechecked if XMP is enabled by disabling/enabling it and it seems like it wont boot at 3600 mhz! PC restarts 3 times only to boot in safeboot.

It maybe possible that XMP never was activated and this caused me all the problems over month (it shows XMP in bios but in fact is booting with 2133mhz), but i just didn't notice because the system is powerful enough that i wasn't THAT suspicious. it will only boot in 2133mhz.

but i've tested to raise the voltage from 1.35V to 1.39V and target 3200 mhz as target mhz and it worked. whats happening here?

Last edited:
System specs:

Case: LIAN Li O11 Dynamic XL
1000 Watt Corsair RM1000x ATX Modular with

CableMod C-Series PRO ModMesh Cable Kit für RMi/RMx/RM (Black Label) - schwarz/blutrot

6 x Corsair LL 120 RGB fans:

3 x on side panel (push)
3 x on bottom (pull)
3 x as replacement for Lian Li Galahad standard fans (pull)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.70GHz So.AM4 WOF
Lian Li GALAHAD 360 DRGB

replaced fans with 3 x Corsair LL 120 RGB (pull)
AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT Graphics
AMD RYZEN™ 9 5900X Processor
4 x G. Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3600C18D-16GTZRX (CL18-22-22-42) / in total 4 x 8GB modules
2 x 1000GB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4. 3D-NAND TLC
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E WIFI
HP Omen X27 240HZ @ 2K monitor / connected via Displayport
Windows 10

I'am currently playing Hunt:Showdown ( iam playing at 2k and 144 FPS capped)

The game is know to have some issues, but even with this system i have some unexplainable FPS issues (fps drops, low utilization and so on) which i tried to fix.

Iam capping the game at 144 FPS but sometimes have drops to 80-90 FPS and stutters.

(At this time, i had used DDU to install clean drivers, disable iCue which some users have reportedly problems with and XMP was activated)

Then i figured out that i made a mistake on my build. I've used 4 x 8GB instead of 2 x 16GB because AM4 doesnt even support quad channel. And i've
read that this could be a issue to the CPU and cause it to downclock or whatever i understood ;)

So i tried to remove 2 sticks and left 2 inside (1 x in Slot 1, 1 x in Slot 3 / dual channel).

But now the FPS issue got WAY WAY WAY worse?

At first, my PC wouldn't even wanted to boot properly and was booted to POST/safeboot but now works again.

I still get 144 FPS (capped) but now the drops go 55-60 sometimes. The RAM utilization showed 8-9GBGB max.

My question:

1) Is it true, that removing two sticks from 4x8GB when only dual channel is supported can cause problems/put unecessary load to the system?

2) I've expected that the game is running at least the same FPS if not better after removing two sticks, because quad channel wasn't supported anyway
and 16GB (2x8) should still be enough.

Is this expected behaviour, that now everything is worse?

3) Was it normal, that after removing two RAM-sticks, that the system wouldn't boot properly? / boost to POST/secure boot only

4) CPU-Z shows on memory tab: 1066.4 mhz on DRAM frequency, is this normal when XMP is enabled? that should be only 2132 mhz in dual channel, right? isnt it supposed to show 1800 mhz (it's DDR-4-3600 ram).

4) What else can i do/try or what to test systematically?

Thank you in advance!

Space for additional infos/updates:

1. Ive just rechecked if XMP is enabled by disabling/enabling it and it seems like it wont boot at 3600 mhz! PC restarts 3 times only to boot in safeboot.

It maybe possible that XMP never was activated and this caused me all the problems over month (it shows XMP in bios but in fact is booting with 2133mhz), but i just didn't notice because the system is powerful enough that i wasn't THAT suspicious. it will only boot in 2133mhz.

but i've tested to raise the voltage from 1.35V to 1.39V and target 3200 mhz as target mhz and it worked. whats happening here?
Try increasing the ram voltage to 1.45v and see if it will boot at 3600Mhz