RPG WOLF

Reputable
Sep 7, 2016
Hello everyone,
Just yesterday, I tried out Battlefield 5 after having it installed. When first loading into the game and later on, during a multiplayer game, I noticed that I had moments where my fps was dropping to the low 50s and even to somewhere around 45 a few times. This was visible for me and it made it seem chunky. Later on it SEEMED to normalize but not entirely.
I have all my settings set to ultra, and my specs are: i5-7600k (not OC'd), Gigabyte 1080ti, 16gb 3200mhz ram. When doing a test via "Can You Run it?" it showed that my specs are more than capable of handling 60fps on ultra.

Additionally, my resolution is 1360x768.

Any ideas on what could be causing these dips and what I could do to fix it?

RPG WOLF

Reputable
Sep 7, 2016
1360x768 with a 1080TI? OK.....

Temps? Loads? Any chance it's a ram or drive space issue? Only time I have issues with games is when FF is chewing up my ram and restarting it always works.

Hmm I haven't checked temps or loads. Would you have a program to recommend? Also, what do you mean by FF?

And yeah 1360x768 is weird but its temporary. Haven't gotten a proper monitor yet.

4745454b

Titan
FF is FireFox. I haven't had it happen with my new build, but on my old build FF would start using massive amounts of ram. As in 10GBs of my 16GBs installed. At that point there wouldn't be much ram left for games and they would stutter badly. Check out much ram usage you have going on and see if shutting down X program helps.

MSI afterburner I believe is what most people use. Should give you temp and load for both the CPU and GPU.

RPG WOLF

Reputable
Sep 7, 2016
FF is FireFox. I haven't had it happen with my new build, but on my old build FF would start using massive amounts of ram. As in 10GBs of my 16GBs installed. At that point there wouldn't be much ram left for games and they would stutter badly. Check out much ram usage you have going on and see if shutting down X program helps.

MSI afterburner I believe is what most people use. Should give you temp and load for both the CPU and GPU.

Alright, thanks! I got afterburner and here's what it shows:

View: https://imgur.com/a/KPFMydK

It's odd... On some games it stutters more, on some less. It seems that at the very beginning of the games it's quite apparent. My ram usage on task manager was abut 56%.

WildCard999

Titan
At such a low resolution your CPU is the culprit. Overclocking it may help with the dips however on a CPU intensive game such as BF5 you need a upgrade. Even used the i7's for your socket are quite expensive and more then likely it'll be the same price or possibly cheaper to move to a 9th gen Intel setup or AMD Ryzen.

RPG WOLF

Reputable
Sep 7, 2016
At such a low resolution your CPU is the culprit. Overclocking it may help with the dips however on a CPU intensive game such as BF5 you need a upgrade. Even used the i7's for your socket are quite expensive and more then likely it'll be the same price or possibly cheaper to move to a 9th gen Intel setup or AMD Ryzen.

I mean, I thought of that too but then it seemed to stabilize later on. I understand that 4 cores can be an issue but this is about the only game, til now, that I've had such problems with. I've got other intensive games too.

Actually, bf1 has the occasional dip but I didn't notice it as much as in bf5 and it happens more on it.

RPG WOLF

Reputable
Sep 7, 2016
You just posted 5 times in a row. Please start using the edit feature.

Empty spinning drive? Or SSD? It could be the DX level. Try DX11 or Mantle or other render options.

Sorry about that; haven't used forums in a long while haha. And yeah, reading about it, most people seem to be very against the use of DX12. There's a few things that I'll try. First, I'll revert to DX11 and see if that makes a difference. Pretty sure it will, but then there's another option: Future Frame Rendering, which should supposedly help with the smoothness of DX12.

We'll see; it's certainly not my drives though... They don't sound like they're having any kind of issue at least.

UPDATE: Using dx11 made it slightly better, but it still dips to 55-53 frames at times and makes things chunky. I sure hope its not the CPU... When I lowered it to high, I got the same results.

Last edited: