Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini-ITX Case Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

Well, good luck fitting a thick 280mm radiator, pump and reservoir in your Corsair 250D.

Adhmuz

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

How about you go and do it and prove to the world it can be done, until then I don't see a "Thick" 280mm radiator with fans fitting in the top of this case. BTW are you one of those hardcore Fractal fan boys or something? Your way to adamant about this case's water cooling abilities. Something I see absolutely no point in doing in a small case, if your going to go water cooling you go triple rads, don't waste your time crippling your performance capabilities by cramming it into the smallest box possible (kind of defeats the purpose a little). Hence why I suggested just going air and getting a case with more features/looks better in the first place.

Well, if the sole reason for existence is water-cooling setups, then that's fine. However, I guess then I take issue with the marketing name - "Nano". A terrible name for a case supposedly meant for the ITX class of cases.

Of course, let's not go down the auto route. Way too many people drive trucks who don't need the big bed. ;)

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
To engage, or not to engage... well I've come this far, what the heck.

Actually, I don't work for a hardware review site, and like the rest of the general public, I don't have a Define Nano S.

You're just digging yourself into a hole here. I don't see a thick 280mm radiator fitting up top either, but you can fit one in front. Then you can also fit maybe a thin 280 up top, but if it won't fit with the front 280, you could probably at least get a 240 up there. So there you go, two large radiators in a mini-itx case with pump and reservoir. Pretty nice. Maybe you could even put another radiator on the back if you were feeling excessive.

Sure, I like Fractal Design cases. Mainly I'm just responding to people saying silly things in forums. Why are you here?

Apparently there are other people with different requirements and tastes than you. Also, do you consider yourself an expert on water cooling or something? Just a few posts back you were saying that water cooling was pretty much on par with air cooling. Lastly, this case may actually support "triple rads". Have you decided whether it's too big or too small yet?

I'm done here.
*drops mic*

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

*picks up mic*
I'm back.

It's called the "Define Nano S". That's because it's a smaller version of the "Define S", which is an ATX case built specifically for custom loop water cooling. It is the smallest "Define" case that you'll find built for water cooling, and it uses the smallest socketed motherboard standard. Seems pretty appropriate to me.

Well, it seems Fractal already used "Mini" in their Define Mini (up to mATX boards), so I guess they needed a word that was descriptively smaller. Now, the Define Mini also wasn't so mini, so I see a trend here. :)

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I've always thought "microATX" was a bit of a misnomer myself. It's 80% of the size of ATX. I'd just call it "realisticATX" since it's got a far more reasonable number of expansion slots for your typical user. Unfortunately, I was late for work on the day they named microATX. Or maybe I didn't work there to begin with. One of those two. Either way, the world would be a far better place if I were in charge. That's the main thing.

No the Define Mini is fairly large (not as tall as an ATX case, but definitely wide). It is probably the nicest case I've ever owned, except that it doesn't have a HDD LED. It is decently quiet, and has good cable management.

g-unit1111

Titan
It's good to see more manufacturers migrating toward smaller cases, mainly because it's amazing to see how much PC can fit into such small form factors these days. I personally want to see more high end hardware fit into smaller cases.

Vaesmannaeyjar

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Still not getting thos enormous cases. I have a mini ITX build, for me it means like the CM Elite series. Mini ITX MBs being more expensive, there's no gain if the case footprint is as big as a microATX.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010

I have one too! I put my 2600k build in there and loved it for many years. Can't wait until FD updates it!

It makes perfect sense that it's still a fairly large case that's just a little shorter, since the only difference between ATX and Micro ATX is that the motherboard is 2.4" shorter, and of course everything else is the same size. I found out the hard way that although the Define Mini is pretty wide, it's still not wide enough to fit a NH-D15 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS