Question Fractal Design Pop Silent - - - buzzing noise after putting it's side-panel back on ?

Apr 1, 2024
Last weekend I build a new computer I am very happy with, I wanted a silent pc, so I bought the Pop Silent along with noctua fans and cooler and was happy with the noise at idle.
I did some stress tests with cpu-z, downloaded FanControl and did the initial setup and when I was ready and put the side panel back on the pc started to make this buzzing noise.
I have tried checking the fans for loose screws but that didn't help, if any of you have any ideas on how to solve this please share it, this is driving me nuts. I am afraid I broke something whilst testing the fans, they ran full speed, could I have damaged them?

I should add I didn't hear it before today, maybe it was always there but I doubt that.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024
You'll need to isolate the source of the noise as I doubt it's all of the fans. From my. experience buzzing is either something rubbing or a failing fan.
I tried turning off all the fans with FanControl and it still makes this buzzing noise.
The second I take off the side panel the noise stops. It's driving me nuts, do you have any tips on how to solve this? I heard I can try electrical tape to stop vibration... I don't know if that's gonna help tho. I can see the panel is a little flexed, it doesn't align perfectly with the case? Maybe that's something?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I tried turning off all the fans with FanControl and it still makes this buzzing noise.
The second I take off the side panel the noise stops. It's driving me nuts, do you have any tips on how to solve this? I heard I can try electrical tape to stop vibration... I don't know if that's gonna help tho. I can see the panel is a little flexed, it doesn't align perfectly with the case? Maybe that's something?
Stick a bit of paper in there? If you don't close the panel all the way, does it still make a noise?

If all else fails, return it to Fractal and ask for one that isn't defective.

unless you checked to see if the fans actually went down to 0RPM you don't know if they really stopped spinning.
many fans have a limit to the % of max speed they can register.

it would be better to try stopping these fans one-at-a-time yourself by gently pressing on the center of the fan until they stop spinning.
I can see the panel is a little flexed, it doesn't align perfectly with the case? Maybe that's something?
maybe try switching side panels and see if the other side continues to make this noise.

also make sure all side panel attachments are properly connected as far as they will go and not loose in their space.

If there's still a noise then the fans didn't stop running.
There shouldn't be any vibration like that for a properly fitted side panel.

If you put your hand on the side panel when it's installed can you feel a vibration and does the noise stop?

Something certainly isn't fit correctly and it's either something being pushed into a fan or the side panel not properly installed. Flex alone shouldn't cause any sort of noise.

Apr 1, 2024
Stick a bit of paper in there? If you don't close the panel all the way, does it still make a noise?

If all else fails, return it to Fractal and ask for one that isn't defective.
Thank you for replying, I tried it and it didn't work sadly enough. Will have to keep trying!

Apr 1, 2024
unless you checked to see if the fans actually went down to 0RPM you don't know if they really stopped spinning.
many fans have a limit to the % of max speed they can register.

it would be better to try stopping these fans one-at-a-time yourself by gently pressing on the center of the fan until they stop spinning.

maybe try switching side panels and see if the other side continues to make this noise.

also make sure all side panel attachments are properly connected as far as they will go and not loose in their space.
Thank you for replying!
I opened the case did the same test, I can see the fans stop spinning.
Sadly the panels are not interchangeable, made sure to close them properly.

Apr 1, 2024
If there's still a noise then the fans didn't stop running.

There shouldn't be any vibration like that for a properly fitted side panel.

If you put your hand on the side panel when it's installed can you feel a vibration and does the noise stop?

Something certainly isn't fit correctly and it's either something being pushed into a fan or the side panel not properly installed. Flex alone shouldn't cause any sort of noise.
Thanks for replying!
Redid the test and made sure the fans stopped spinning. No vibrations I can detect.
I opened the other panel and saw that the front audio cable was pressed against the PSU, it has to because the cable management hole is directly above it. I redid it to see if that makes a difference. I also managed cables to make sure they didn't press against the panel.
I can still hear a pulsating hum, it is faint, but still very noticeable due to the lack of noise.
Maybe I had wrong expectations of a silent PC? Who knows, I will continue looking though!

I have the Noctua NH-U12A chomax.black.
Yeah there's definitely nothing tricky mounting wise which would have this be the culprit for the noise.
I really hope it isn't, I hope I can find something I can fix.
If all the fans are off then you have to figure out which component is making the noise. The only things that would usually be to blame for noise are VRM, PSU and video card.

Apr 1, 2024
Yeah there's definitely nothing tricky mounting wise which would have this be the culprit for the noise.

If all the fans are off then you have to figure out which component is making the noise. The only things that would usually be to blame for noise are VRM, PSU and video card.
I guess I can try removing the GPU and see if that does something. I am hesitant on buying parts to see if the motherboard or PSU is the problem...

I guess I can try removing the GPU and see if that does something. I am hesitant on buying parts to see if the motherboard or PSU is the problem.
these shouldn't cause only the side panel to rattle or vibrate though.

if the noise is only produced when the panel is in place then it has to be related to how it is connected;
sitting unevenly in it's grooves, has a deformed screw / screw hole, touching something that vibrates in place, etc...

Reactions: 35below0
May 30, 2024
I just moved my pc to the Fractal North XL case and having the same issue. No noise at all when side panel is off, but there is a buzzing noise. When I press on the center of the panel, it gets worse. Were you able to resolve this?

Apr 1, 2024
I just moved my pc to the Fractal North XL case and having the same issue. No noise at all when side panel is off, but there is a buzzing noise. When I press on the center of the panel, it gets worse. Were you able to resolve this?
I'm sorry for the late reply, I have not found any solution for this sadly. I want to look into this again today, if I find anything I'll make sure to let you know!

EDIT:
Have you found anything? Any kind of tip or solution is most welcome!

try adding some soft padding where the side panel slides into it's case connectors;
some sort of putty, soft tissue, etc...

you could also try lining the sides, top & bottom of the panel where it makes flat contact with the case with similar padding or even folded electrical tape;
something that may restrict movement/vibration.

Apr 1, 2024
try adding some soft padding where the side panel slides into it's case connectors;
some sort of putty, soft tissue, etc...

you could also try lining the sides, top & bottom of the panel where it makes flat contact with the case with similar padding or even folded electrical tape;
something that may restrict movement/vibration.
I might have phrased my question wrong, it's a 'wooshing' noise? It kind of sounds like the wind or something I am not sure how else to phrase it. When I remove the side panel this wooshing goes away and the PC is very quiet, put it back on and the noise comes back. It is frustrating because I have bought parts to run a silent build and it is kind of quiet I guess, but that wooshing noise is very noticable.

Apr 1, 2024
I might have phrased my question wrong, it's a 'wooshing' noise? It kind of sounds like the wind or something I am not sure how else to phrase it. When I remove the side panel this wooshing goes away and the PC is very quiet, put it back on and the noise comes back. It is frustrating because I have bought parts to run a silent build and it is kind of quiet I guess, but that wooshing noise is very noticable.
Do you think padding might solve that wooshing noise?

Do you think padding might solve that wooshing noise?
if it is definitely the side panel causing this noise then it can only be 1 of 2 things;
either air flowing against or leaking out around/through the panel
or the panel itself vibrating in place.

a sound like air "whooshing" would likely be the 1st.
what @gyeea describes as a "buzzing" would likely be the 2nd.

try physically pressing hard against all edges of the panel while the noise is audible and see if it stops.
if so, then it is air escaping.
you could then try tightening the side panel screws more, or even replacing them, and see if this escaping air can be stopped.

it may even be the air passing through the front-side vents that you are hearing and when the side panel is removed the air just doesn't make it to that section.

Reactions: thestryker