Question Frametime spikes and stuttering on an AMD setup ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
Let us know how it goes.
Hi, i have got news to report; in witcher 3 i removed all the fps caps from rivatuner and set the max frames from 144 to unlimited in the game settings, for the little time i played (about 5 to 10min) i didn´t notice any stutters or frametime spikes, both in taau preset, and xesss preset. gpu was always around 99% usage. Also,gpu temp were around the 50s while hot spot temp was around 75º C. fans were up crazy though. Do you think i should have my fans that fast and have lower temps,or is this tradeoff not worth it?

View: https://imgur.com/a/cuS4CZL

By the way the other games i play (jump force\one piece pirate warriors 4) are all hard locked at 60 fps, and those are the games i play the most, so i notice the stutters more. Could it be that the stutters come from being ue4 games? i read those are poorly optimized, even though i have more than enough power to run them. Any thoughts?

oh and lastly, could the stutters be from playing with a wireless xbox controller? ( i also played w3 with mouse and keyboard instead of the controller)

Thank you as always

Hi, i have got news to report; in witcher 3 i removed all the fps caps from rivatuner and set the max frames from 144 to unlimited in the game settings, for the little time i played (about 5 to 10min) i didn´t notice any stutters or frametime spikes, both in taau preset, and xesss preset. gpu was always around 99% usage. Also,gpu temp were around the 50s while hot spot temp was around 75º C. fans were up crazy though. Do you think i should have my fans that fast and have lower temps,or is this tradeoff not worth it?
This sounds better, and is what I'd expect. GPU and hotspot temps are perfectly fine. If the hotspot was very high like 105c or something, it might account for the issues. But it's not.
By the way the other games i play (jump force\one piece pirate warriors 4) are all hard locked at 60 fps, and those are the games i play the most, so i notice the stutters more. Could it be that the stutters come from being ue4 games? i read those are poorly optimized, even though i have more than enough power to run them. Any thoughts?
I doubt the UE4 engine could be causing it, but stranger things have happened. We'll keep that open for now.
oh and lastly, could the stutters be from playing with a wireless xbox controller? ( i also played w3 with mouse and keyboard instead of the controller)
Perhaps. Are you using the dongle for windows, or bluetooth?

Reactions: PauloSilva93

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
This sounds better, and is what I'd expect. GPU and hotspot temps are perfectly fine. If the hotspot was very high like 105c or something, it might account for the issues. But it's not.

I doubt the UE4 engine could be causing it, but stranger things have happened. We'll keep that open for now.

Perhaps. Are you using the dongle for windows, or bluetooth?
i am using a bluetooth dongle. for the xbox controller. the dongle came with my previous xbox one wireless controller, now i have an xbox series x controller.