Question Frametime spikes and stuttering on an AMD setup ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
The frametime graph looks great, you just get that random spike in it. I wouldn't worry too much about that. It could just be a poorly optimized part of the game, like garbage collection.

Now that the GPU and CPU are running better clocks, is it stuttering in other games as well?

Reactions: PauloSilva93

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
The frametime graph looks great, you just get that random spike in it. I wouldn't worry too much about that. It could just be a poorly optimized part of the game, like garbage collection.

Now that the GPU and CPU are running better clocks, is it stuttering in other games as well?
But the problem is that the screen freezes and totally breaks The immersion, is it really nothing to worry about?

I never see people have this problem when they game...

Did you notice anything out of ordinary?

Btw I have been meaning to ask, how do you diagnose bottlenecks or stuttering problems? I want to be able to know what is happening during my gameplay session, but while gaming irt , it becomes almost impossible...

Last edited:
I would use CAPFRAMEX to look for problems. You can scroll through frame by frame and see exact system details to look for problems.

Stuttering can happen from a number of things, but I can tell you at least that your CPU and GPU appear to be running fine now. The problem is either in the game code, or somewhere else in your system.

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
ok, but if i use capframex i can't disable ulps;

Do you have stutters as well in your gameplay sessions? What do you consider a normal gameplay? also, do you have any more tips for smoother gaming?

Thank you as always

Last edited:

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
I would use CAPFRAMEX to look for problems. You can scroll through frame by frame and see exact system details to look for problems.

Stuttering can happen from a number of things, but I can tell you at least that your CPU and GPU appear to be running fine now. The problem is either in the game code, or somewhere else in your system.
I would just like to add something, don't know if it's relevant or not:
I use ram with speeds of 3600Mhz with xmp enabled, however everywhere I look I see that my 5 5600 only supports up to 3200 MHz speeds. My Mobo is a b550 gaming edge wifi.

Cheers

I would just like to add something, don't know if it's relevant or not:
I use ram with speeds of 3600Mhz with xmp enabled, however everywhere I look I see that my 5 5600 only supports up to 3200 MHz speeds. My Mobo is a b550 gaming edge wifi.

Cheers

Download ZenTimings: https://zentimings.com/

The FCLK (infinity fabric clock ) should be 1800mhz for 3600DDR4. We probably want MCLK and UCLK to also be 1800mhz if we want a 1:1 ratio. If it's not, then we may have a problem.

Otherwise, as long as it's not crashing, you're probably fine.

PauloSilva93

Prominent
Mar 6, 2023
You can look at the GPU clock speed, as long as it doesn't dip below your minimum you set while gaming then you're fine. You don't need ULPS.
Hi, can you help me with something? all of a sudden when pc goes to sleep it shutsdown instead. i tried a few time and everytime i clicked sleep the pc shut down. i even had a blue screen....

My pc is a desktop and its plugged to a UPS

Last edited: