[SOLVED] Freezes no matter what I am doing on my PC

Nov 24, 2020
My current issue is that I have a PC that I built, and am extremely proud of, that just is not performing how I want it to. Whether I am playing games or typing out this post, it freezes up for 10-30 seconds at random. I really wish I could provide more information as to what causes the freezes, but it does not matter the size load, big or small. It is also worth noting that my system does not get extremely hot. It maxes out at around 75 degrees Celsius at its hottest.

My current PC specs:
EVGA 2070 super
Gamemax 850W Gold PSU
Ryzen 5 3600
32 GB Corsair Vengence Ram
Gigabyte B450 AORUS-M Motherboard
Samsung 1TB SSD
Barracuda 2TB HDD
ADATA 120GB SSD (Windows is installed on here)

Any help at all would be appreciated guys, I have switched almost everything out on the PC in the last year and it started back then.

Solution
I sure wish the solution was that easy to attain. I have been struggling with this computer for so long... I am sure you are very busy and have many other things to do, but is there any way you can hop in a discord call or something similar to that with me? I can explain the extent of the situation much easier through talking than typing. I would be willing to pay for your time.

Best to keep in thread because it's likely people with other ideas will jump in here. I'm a solid hobbyist, but I'm no All-Encompassing Genius of PC Repair. Plus, I have an article to file that I haven't even started on (tonight!) and two consulting clients tomorrow plus radio. I already need to get off Tom's for the night!

It might actually be...

DSzymborski

Titan
I have reinstalled windows at least 5 times at this point. Everytime to the same drive though. I am beginning to wonder if the drive is causing it? I only install windows to that drive but I also have never tried installing it to another drive.

So, you've done a full install (as in completely wiping the drive) while using this CPU/MB? It's unlikely to be a drive problem, though it's technically possible.

Have you run any benchmarking tools or checked the RAM? It certainly smells like a RAM or OS issue, so it would be nice to eliminate those as issues.

Nov 24, 2020
So, you've done a full install (as in completely wiping the drive) while using this CPU/MB? It's unlikely to be a drive problem, though it's technically possible.

Have you run any benchmarking tools or checked the RAM? It certainly smells like a RAM or OS issue, so it would be nice to eliminate those as issues.
I have replaced the ram now once with this setup, I went from 16 GB to 32GB and it fixed the problem temporarily. After a while, things appeared to begin to deteriorate again. It started with freezes on the desktop again and then progressed into games freezing constantly. Now I am here and I want to fix the problem for good.

Nov 24, 2020
I have replaced the ram now once with this setup, I went from 16 GB to 32GB and it fixed the problem temporarily. After a while, things appeared to begin to deteriorate again. It started with freezes on the desktop again and then progressed into games freezing constantly. Now I am here and I want to fix the problem for good.
I have done a full install with the current hardware installed.

DSzymborski

Titan

Have you tried with just the new stick? Or did you already replace it with a kit?

Nov 24, 2020
Bah, I was hoping that you hadn't! The low-hanging fruit is cheaper and less frustrating.
I sure wish the solution was that easy to attain. I have been struggling with this computer for so long... I am sure you are very busy and have many other things to do, but is there any way you can hop in a discord call or something similar to that with me? I can explain the extent of the situation much easier through talking than typing. I would be willing to pay for your time.

DSzymborski

Titan

Best to keep in thread because it's likely people with other ideas will jump in here. I'm a solid hobbyist, but I'm no All-Encompassing Genius of PC Repair. Plus, I have an article to file that I haven't even started on (tonight!) and two consulting clients tomorrow plus radio. I already need to get off Tom's for the night!

It might actually be worth trying to remove the drives and do a fresh install on a different drive, with just that drive installed. There's a low probability that this is a problem, but it's quicker -- and cheaper -- than just starting to test-swap hardware. If it does come to that, I'd probably start with the power supply.

Solution
Nov 24, 2020

It might actually be worth trying to remove the drives and do a fresh install on a different drive, with just that drive installed. There's a low probability that this is a problem, but it's quicker -- and cheaper -- than just starting to test-swap hardware. If it does come to that, I'd probably start with the power supply.
Thank you for your help then, I'm sorry for keeping you up!

I have actually test swapped every piece of hardware in my PC except for the MOBO, the CPU, and that one SSD that I have windows installed on... I even swapped my GPU from a 5700 XT to a 2070 Super, just in case there was something wrong with the GPU. I will try to drive stuff tonight, but if that doesn't work I have a new MOBO on the way.

Nov 24, 2020

Figured it would be only right to let you know that I have fixed the issue! The old drive I had windows installed on was the problem. Thank you for all the help and advice you shot my way. I appreciate it immensely. Only if I would have figured this out before dumping hundreds of dollars into new parts lol.

DSzymborski

Titan
Figured it would be only right to let you know that I have fixed the issue! The old drive I had windows installed on was the problem. Thank you for all the help and advice you shot my way. I appreciate it immensely. Only if I would have figured this out before dumping hundreds of dollars into new parts lol.

Generally speaking, it's usually a good idea to exhaust all the cheap and/or easy solutions, even if they're less likely to be the cause! The important thing though is that everything's working now!