Question Freezes with no BSOD, AMD FX-6300, Windows 10

Oct 22, 2019
Hi there,

I have a PC that is 6 years, and have had for the last few years constant issues with freezing. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to the freezing, and after tests and upgrades, I cannot narrow it down.

I have tried a memtest, no issues found after several hours. I have updated the BIOS, added an extra fan, no luck. I believe some time ago I also ran a CPU test, no issues. No viruses also, and I have tried a fresh install on my SSD, after having a HDD previously. I have noted my Crucial updater software mentioning I have my BIOS set to IDE mode, not AHCI. I believe I did try to change this but then Windows would not boot, and I had to change it back - I have seen now these instructions, are these safe to use? This thread here tells me otherwise.

The computer can freeze when browsing in Chrome, doing something a little more intensive like music production - but also can go hours without freezing at all, but then revert to freezing every five minutes. I have to force restart each time.

Other issue I have is external harddrivers to not connect to transfer data, but light up on their own power indicator. I have tried a separate power supply, still won't work - could hint towards a power supply issues, or lack of power?

I want to fix this, before I lose data. My specs are below (from Speccy, let me know if you need anything else), any steps to help troubleshoot this would be much appreciated.

Operating System
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 1903, 18362.388
CPU
  • AMD FX-6300

PSU
  • Corsair 2013 Edition Gamer Series GS 600w '80 Plus Bronze' PSU.
RAM
  • 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
  • ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 (CPUSocket)
Graphics
  • 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (MSI)
Storage
  • 223GB Crucial CT240BX200SSD1 ATA Device (SATA (SSD))
Optical Drives
  • ATAPI iHAS120 X ATA Device
Audio
  • Realtek High Definition Audio

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
If you're currently on IDE mode for your SATA ports, you should change it immediately in BIOS to AHCI and then reinstall your OS. Yes, you have to reinstall the OS.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Which version BIOS are you on? Which version of the OS are you working with?

Oct 22, 2019
If you're currently on IDE mode for your SATA ports, you should change it immediately in BIOS to AHCI and then reinstall your OS. Yes, you have to reinstall the OS.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. Which version BIOS are you on? Which version of the OS are you working with?
Running Windows 10, 1903, 18362.388. PSU is same age as build, 6 years. Will check make and model after a restart.

Thanks for the tips on reinstalling OS. I believe I had the issue before, but do you think this could be causing the issue?

edit: Corsair 2013 Edition Gamer Series GS 600w '80 Plus Bronze' PSU.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019
Hi all, sorry not sure of the etiquette here, but anymore ideas after the extra details? Could the IDE mode be the main issue? Looking online, some people switch between the two, having issues with either mode.