Question Frequent BSOD on brand new PC w/ old drive/Windows installation

Apr 14, 2022
Hi folks
I've just gotten set up with an almost entirely new PC, with the only parts from my previous rig being the PSU, an M.2 SSD and two HDDs. I've had frequent BSOD errors when trying to install programs/drivers/games etc., and a few that seemed to have been triggered just when running command prompt or setting a new default browser. Below are what I feel are my relevant system specs:

- Motherboard: B550 Aorus Elite AX V2 (BIOS version F14)

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

- GPU: ASUS RTX 3060 Ti

When first powering on the new system, it would not recognise the Windows install on my old M.2 drive. To get around this, I installed a new Windows instance on a seperate M.2 which seemed to work at first. After a number of BSODs that seemed to point to memory/driver/Windows errors, I decided to completely format both of my M.2 drives and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. However, the same problem has seemed to persist and I'm at a bit of a loss on what to try next.

Link to an Imgur album of a few of the errors I've encountered:

View: https://imgur.com/a/npW3KTa

kanewolf

Titan
Hi folks
I've just gotten set up with an almost entirely new PC, with the only parts from my previous rig being the PSU, an M.2 SSD and two HDDs. I've had frequent BSOD errors when trying to install programs/drivers/games etc., and a few that seemed to have been triggered just when running command prompt or setting a new default browser. Below are what I feel are my relevant system specs:

- Motherboard: B550 Aorus Elite AX V2 (BIOS version F14)

- CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

- GPU: ASUS RTX 3060 Ti

When first powering on the new system, it would not recognise the Windows install on my old M.2 drive. To get around this, I installed a new Windows instance on a seperate M.2 which seemed to work at first. After a number of BSODs that seemed to point to memory/driver/Windows errors, I decided to completely format both of my M.2 drives and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows. However, the same problem has seemed to persist and I'm at a bit of a loss on what to try next.

Link to an Imgur album of a few of the errors I've encountered:

View: https://imgur.com/a/npW3KTa
There is no guarantee that an existing Windows installation will work with a different motherboard.
There are three possible outcomes: Works. Doesn't Boot. Has BSOD problems. You are in the third category.
The only solution is to do a clean Windows install for your new motherboard.
Here is the sticky on doing a clean OS install -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Reactions: LBell12299
Apr 14, 2022
There is no guarantee that an existing Windows installation will work with a different motherboard.
There are three possible outcomes: Works. Doesn't Boot. Has BSOD problems. You are in the third category.
The only solution is to do a clean Windows install for your new motherboard.
Here is the sticky on doing a clean OS install -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Thanks for the reply, I have performed one clean install on this new machine, however it was with both of my M.2 drives installed, one of which hosted Windows on my previous machine. I will attempt removing that drive and performing another clean install on the new drive.

Apr 14, 2022
Yes, when doing an OS install, have only the Windows drive connected.

An update: I have followed the instructions for performing a clean reinstall and I am still experiencing BSOD errors related to memory management. I have tried a clean install on both of my M.2 drives (individually) and the farthest the install has gotten is to the network page of Windows setup, at which point it got stuck in a loop.

kanewolf

Titan
An update: I have followed the instructions for performing a clean reinstall and I am still experiencing BSOD errors related to memory management. I have tried a clean install on both of my M.2 drives (individually) and the farthest the install has gotten is to the network page of Windows setup, at which point it got stuck in a loop.
I would recommend running MEMTEST for 4 to 6 hours. See if you have a hardware problem.

Reactions: LBell12299