Question Frequent random disconnections, internet speed flip flopping excessively

Alba91

Commendable
Feb 28, 2021
Hello everyone, I apologise if this becomes lengthy!
For months now I've had various symptoms suggesting a fault on my FTTC connection. I'm with BT (UK).
I'm 3 routers and 4 engineers in. Fault reappears each time. Nothing can be done without proof of a fault, so I'm trying to gather ''evidence'' of this intermittent problem. I am desperate.

Broadband disconnects, struggles to reconnect (sits flashing orange or purple for 5 mins, sits on orange for 10 minutes) and then struggles to regain speed. Overnight, it dropped over 10mbps. I'm aware that speed tests are not affirmation of a fault, however, they are a fairly reliable indicator that something has changed.

It then began disconnecting every single day, with the same symptoms afterwards. This issue is replicated on 3 different routers. It's wifi AND ethernet wired. Occasionally it'll stay up for 4 days, only to begin the same process again.
The data rate within the hub's stats changes each time it disconnects, between 30mbps and 55mbps. With that, the MS doubles.

It all remains this way until I manually restart the router.

If anyone could please take the time, I'd be hugely appreciative.
Does anything stand out on these hub event logs? They're from 2 different routers:
View: https://imgur.com/a/y5ExJed

&
View: https://imgur.com/a/wFyyx8V

My hub stats:
Product code:Hub
Serial number:+091298+2037002192
Firmware version:v0.38.00.10147-BT
Firmware updated:Thu Feb 23 08:14:38 2023
Board version:R01
GUI version:1.77 20_05_2022
DSL uptime:0 days,13 Hours13 Mins05 Secs
Data rate:8.789 Mbps / 54.548 Mbps
Maximum data rate:8.778 Mbps / 54.109 Mbps
Full Fibre (FTTP) Mode:Off
Noise margin:5.6 / 2.6
Line attenuation:10.1 / 21.2
Signal attenuation:10.1 / 23.8
VLAN id:101
Upstream error control:Off
Downstream error control:Off
Data sent / received:129.0 MB Uploaded / 1.2 GB Downloaded
Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
Public Wi-fi status:Activated
2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-KFAKW2
2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 1)
5 GHz wireless network name:BT-KFAKW2
5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel 36)
Wireless security:WPA2
Wireless mode:Mode 1
Firewall:On
MAC address:E4:75:DC:24:C9:77
Software variant:-
Boot loader: 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

Happy to provide other information. Thank you for sharing your big brains!

Ralston18

Titan
Disabling IPv6 may be a partial solution but more information is needed.

Why are there two routers? How are they connected?

Only one router should have its' DHCP IP function enabled.

Can you provide some sort of sketch or line diagram showing your network, network devices, and connections.

For example (where ----> represents an Ethernet cable):

ISP ==( Coax, DSL, Fiber) ==> Modem ----->WAN Port [Router] LAN Ports] ----> wired devices and ~~~> wireless devices.

Include other devices with make and model information as well.

Wired and wireless.

= = = =

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results. You should be able to copy and paste the results without retyping everything.

Kinda had me there with the old date in may before I reread and you said it was 2 different routers.

The older one looks more like the actual physcial line is going down. The newer one could also be that but since I am not familar with the router I can't say for sure. PPPoE login failure and be either because the line is down and so no traffic of any kind works or it can be that there is a very basic connection between your house and the first ISP equipment but the remote ISP equipment does not have connectivity past it. The PPPoE message is kinda like a login prompt in your computer. If you see it you know the computer powered on and booted. It though depends on if the router is stupid and still attempting a PPPoE login even if the DSL line were say unplugged.

Not sure any of this matters. This if a failure between the router and the ISP. Nothing you change on your pc or other internal devices will make any difference. Even most routers there is not much you can set or change...maybe a userid and password if the ISP uses them. You have already replaced the router so it is not likely that. Unfortantly only the ISP can really see what is going on outside your house.

Generally if you get lights that change color on the box for the wan connection it means there is some very serious failures. Most times it is some wire issue but the wires are fairly short when you are using FTTC. Then again even when the fiber comes all the way house a fiber can get a small crack in it and randomly drop.

TRENDING THREADS