Question Freshly Installed RTX 4080 + PSU Dies, Troubleshooting Indicates CPU Issue

May 24, 2023
Hi!

I've had my computer for about 6-7 years now, and finally decided it was about time to upgrade my GPU, as well as my PSU to accommodate it. I ended up buying and installing a 750 W modular PSU, and about a day later I installed an RTX 4080 into the PC.

They both ran fine in tandem for about a half-day or so, allowing me to update the GPU drivers, play some games, and reboot the computer a few times. However, this morning the computer just randomly died while I was away and refused to start back up. Each time I attempted to boot it up the lights and the fan would either work for less than a second, or it would not even attempt to start.

I ended up removing the new components and replacing them with my previously installed GPU + PSU, but the functionality did not seem to change. The only thing that worked was removing the RAM and only putting one stick back, which caused the computer to spin back up when powered. However, no components were being powered, nothing was being displayed to the monitor from the computer, and the power button wouldn't turn the computer back off (I ended up having to turn off the old PSU).

Finally, I found an EZ Debug LED located on the motherboard, which indicated that the CPU of all things was having an issue during booting. I'm not too sure how this could be the issue, or at least the lone issue, so any context or help would be appreciated!

Computer Overview:

Motherboard:
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
Memory: Crucial 2x4 GB DDR4-2133 CL15 + Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4 GB DDR4-3000 CL16
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core
GPU: PNY XLR8 VERTO EPIC-X RGB OC RTX 4080 (previously GTX 1060)
PSU: ADATA XPG CORE 750 W 80+ Gold, Fully Modular (previously Semi-Modular 500W)

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Hi!

I've had my computer for about 6-7 years now, and finally decided it was about time to upgrade my GPU, as well as my PSU to accommodate it. I ended up buying and installing a 750 W modular PSU, and about a day later I installed an RTX 4080 into the PC.

They both ran fine in tandem for about a half-day or so, allowing me to update the GPU drivers, play some games, and reboot the computer a few times. However, this morning the computer just randomly died while I was away and refused to start back up. Each time I attempted to boot it up the lights and the fan would either work for less than a second, or it would not even attempt to start.

I ended up removing the new components and replacing them with my previously installed GPU + PSU, but the functionality did not seem to change. The only thing that worked was removing the RAM and only putting one stick back, which caused the computer to spin back up when powered. However, no components were being powered, nothing was being displayed to the monitor from the computer, and the power button wouldn't turn the computer back off (I ended up having to turn off the old PSU).

Finally, I found an EZ Debug LED located on the motherboard, which indicated that the CPU of all things was having an issue during booting. I'm not too sure how this could be the issue, or at least the lone issue, so any context or help would be appreciated!

Computer Overview:

Motherboard:
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
Memory: Crucial 2x4 GB DDR4-2133 CL15 + Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4 GB DDR4-3000 CL16
PSU: ADATA XPG CORE 750 W 80+ Gold, Fully Modular (previously Semi-Modular 500W)
Possibly static electricity damage when working on it. It's advisable to have a ground strap when working . Although I admit I seldom do it myself.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Hi!

Computer Overview:

Motherboard:
MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
It's probs not going to be a good diagnosis result, and my reply is not going to be of any help but it might give you some idea of what to expect but I hope I am wrong.

A few weeks back my mates son's PC just turned off, he tried a low power gfx card he had laying around it worked.

so he bough a new GFX card plugged it in it didn't work

he then bought a new PSU and it all worked

the next day same thing PC shut down while his son was gamming on it

so he replaced motherboard for the exact same model and revision still didn't work so he brought it to me.

after half hour messing around I swapped the BIOS chips over on the motherboards and bingo all up and running.

two days later he phones me say it's done it again but this time the new PSU blew and took out the motherboard the GPU

odd thing is he put all the original parts back in, the original motherboard (with the other motherboard BIOS chip) original GPU and PSU and it worked and still is working ??? lol ??

so I hate to say it even brand new PSU's can .. well .. not be a great experience and blow up.

Well, I have no experience with that PSU, at first I would of thought even though the 4080 recommended is a 750watt. that doesn't always account for the sudden spikes or transient spikes when the card go's from doing nothing to suddenly under a considerable load which will often spike well above its power limits for a short time, a lot of PSU often can't cope with that.

But I really don't think its fully the PSU as you were at idle and it shut down and wouldn't turn on, thats in my experience is something with the board, CPU or RAM or the combination. Though I wouldn't rule out the PSU totally, still could cause symptoms like this just not as likely, they typically work or they don't.

Are you running XMP or DOCP profile on your ram, if so, don't, Just keep 1 brand installed, don't mix, and set the ram at 2933mhz or lower and leave it alone, test to see if it works and don't have any other issues.

Unstable ram can make the dbug point at other things as its freezing during boot, so its not always the best thing to go by sometimes.

Good Luck!

May 24, 2023
Possibly static electricity damage when working on it. It's advisable to have a ground strap when working . Although I admit I seldom do it myself.
It's possible! Though, it ended up shutting down after running for a while, so it doesn't seem like an immediate cause of it to me. Could be the catalyst though.

May 24, 2023
It's probs not going to be a good diagnosis result, and my reply is not going to be of any help but it might give you some idea of what to expect but I hope I am wrong.

A few weeks back my mates son's PC just turned off, he tried a low power gfx card he had laying around it worked.

so he bough a new GFX card plugged it in it didn't work

he then bought a new PSU and it all worked

the next day same thing PC shut down while his son was gamming on it

so he replaced motherboard for the exact same model and revision still didn't work so he brought it to me.

after half hour messing around I swapped the BIOS chips over on the motherboards and bingo all up and running.

two days later he phones me say it's done it again but this time the new PSU blew and took out the motherboard the GPU

odd thing is he put all the original parts back in, the original motherboard (with the other motherboard BIOS chip) original GPU and PSU and it worked and still is working ??? lol ??

so I hate to say it even brand new PSU's can .. well .. not be a great experience and blow up.
Thank you for sharing, it sounds exactly what is going on with me! That actually points to my running theory that the new PSU damaged my motherboard or CPU, so I appreciate it.
Well, I have no experience with that PSU, at first I would of thought even though the 4080 recommended is a 750watt. that doesn't always account for the sudden spikes or transient spikes when the card go's from doing nothing to suddenly under a considerable load which will often spike well above its power limits for a short time, a lot of PSU often can't cope with that.

But I really don't think its fully the PSU as you were at idle and it shut down and wouldn't turn on, thats in my experience is something with the board, CPU or RAM or the combination. Though I wouldn't rule out the PSU totally, still could cause symptoms like this just not as likely, they typically work or they don't.

Are you running XMP or DOCP profile on your ram, if so, don't, Just keep 1 brand installed, don't mix, and set the ram at 2933mhz or lower and leave it alone, test to see if it works and don't have any other issues.

Unstable ram can make the dbug point at other things as its freezing during boot, so its not always the best thing to go by sometimes.

Good Luck!
Not too sure what my RAM settings were, but I don't believe I had either profile enabled. However, I was mixing and matching the RAM, so I might as well replace it when I get it up and running. However, following your advice, just plugging in a single stick didn't seem to get it to even display, so I'm thinking the CPU or the motherboard. Thank you!

D

Deleted member 2947362

Thank you for sharing, it sounds exactly what is going on with me! That actually points to my running theory that the new PSU damaged my motherboard or CPU, so I appreciate it.

Not too sure what my RAM settings were, but I don't believe I had either profile enabled. However, I was mixing and matching the RAM, so I might as well replace it when I get it up and running. However, following your advice, just plugging in a single stick didn't seem to get it to even display, so I'm thinking the CPU or the motherboard. Thank you!

Choose a well known branded PSU but don't be tempted to buy their cheaper high wattage models, look for one with a good warranty a min of 5years or higher, I see yours has 10 years.

Personally I normally buy a PSU rated around 100W higher than I will most likely need, as later that extra 100watts might be handy for a new GFX upgrade or at worst it leaves plenty of overhead if it's not used, but that's just a personal preference (If was building a mid-ranged gaming PC using highest tier mid-ranged graphics card 750w should be plenty but I would get an 850w so it's more than plenty lol)

Motherboard Choose carefully as this will be your biggest restriction to any hardware's performance that's added at a later date.

It's not just about how many PCIe ports it has BUT also how many lanes those ports have physically connected to them along with what revision PCIe the onboard chipset controller supports.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2947362

It may be worth replacing the CPU motherboard and ram as a Ryzen 2600X is going to hold back the performance of an RTX 4080 quite a bit
yeah I guess so with the CPU

But if I'm honest I have done a lot of testing (mainly just because I'm bored lol) running my ram at 2133 to 3200 when gaming and if I am 100% honest I can't tell/feel any difference what so ever lol

but that is just with gaming.

But if I'm honest I have done a lot of testing (mainly just because I'm bored lol) running my ram at 2133 to 3200 when gaming and if I am 100% honest I can't tell/feel any difference what so ever lol

Just memory frequency doesn't always make a huge difference to gaming. It depends on the game some are much more sensitive to ram speed than others. My point was that the OPs CPU and GPU seem mismatched, the 2600X will limit the fps quite a bit regardless of ram speed

What speed is your RAM currently set at? If you haven't tried already, just run it at stock and see what happens.

How did you get 2133 to run at 3200, did you change all the timings? It's one thing to get the clock that fast, but it still needs time (more clock cycles) to process the request, otherwise you'll get corrupted data.

D

Deleted member 2947362

Just memory frequency doesn't always make a huge difference to gaming. It depends on the game some are much more sensitive to ram speed than others. My point was that the OPs CPU and GPU seem mismatched, the 2600X will limit the fps quite a bit regardless of ram speed
I wasn't disagreeing with you but this ram speed thing meh it only really makes a noticeable difference to IGP but dedicated cards you might get more frames but I highly doubt you will feel any real time difference

games that stress system normally 3-5fps gain which your not going to feel any difference at all imho

less demanding game that already get over 140-200 fps faster system ram speeds does add quite a few more frames but it's already running fast amount anyway so you don't really notice much if any difference at all imho

subjective thing how a game feels to whoever at whatever fps some claim they cant play at anything less than 144 fps or higher other can't tell the difference from 120 fps or evn 60 depending on the type of game.

so by all means don't let my opinion sway you from what ever you feel is better.

These are just my opinions.

D

Deleted member 2947362

What speed is your RAM currently set at? If you haven't tried already, just run it at stock and see what happens.

How did you get 2133 to run at 3200, did you change all the timings? It's one thing to get the clock that fast, but it still needs time (more clock cycles) to process the request, otherwise you'll get corrupted data.
yeah I tinker quite a lot and have tried a lot of different hardware setups over the years (which are many)

I'm older now so speed is not as important to me as it was back in my younger days lol

It's stability and reliability these days :)

It's feel's a bit like I have moved from an old beat-up fast remapped and tunned BMW (old beat-up cars are all I can afford lol) to a more comfortable and less stress inducing old beat-up Mercedes Benz

From boy racer to blanket over the legs smoking a pipe reminiscing "When I was a Lad!!"

( I will be hitting the ripe old age of the BIG 13 and cant quite believe how fast my younger years have flown by, sozz sense of humour slipping in)

EDIT
"ripe" that word sounds a bit sus when combined with old age lol :eek: FFS

Ripe as in meaning Advertising to get it's hype in to the younger gen's minds, Power and Speed.

D

Deleted member 2838871

However, this morning the computer just randomly died while I was away and refused to start back up. Each time I attempted to boot it up the lights and the fan would either work for less than a second, or it would not even attempt to start.

Finally, I found an EZ Debug LED located on the motherboard, which indicated that the CPU of all things was having an issue during booting.

What you are describing is exactly what my PC did a month ago when the CPU and board imploded due to the Ryzen 7000 series drama. A quick fan spin with lights and immediate shutdown with the CPU Debug LED.

Also… reusing PSU cables is a big no no so I hope you didn’t do that. I’ve seen PCs killed doing that.

I wasn't disagreeing with you but this ram speed thing meh it only really makes a noticeable difference to IGP but dedicated cards you might get more frames but I highly doubt you will feel any real time difference

games that stress system normally 3-5fps gain which your not going to feel any difference at all imho

less demanding game that already get over 140-200 fps faster system ram speeds does add quite a few more frames but it's already running fast amount anyway so you don't really notice much if any difference at all imho

subjective thing how a game feels to whoever at whatever fps some claim they cant play at anything less than 144 fps or higher other can't tell the difference from 120 fps or evn 60 depending on the type of game.

so by all means don't let my opinion sway you from what ever you feel is better.

These are just my opinions.
I'm not that bothered about high fps in games myself but I'm guessing if you buy a 4080 then it is important to you.

D

Deleted member 2947362

I'm not that bothered about high fps in games myself but I'm guessing if you buy a 4080 then it is important to you.
You are most likely correct, and even more so if your wanting the highest benchmark score when comparing scores from other systems.