[SOLVED] Fried VRM's fried my cpu, i sent mobo to fix and they replaced VRM's successfully. Is it safe now to get another CPU without frying it?

May 11, 2020
Mobo is B250m pro-vdh, cpu fried was i5 7400, my new proc is i5 7600. If the VRM's were safely replaced (which they 100% are) it should be just fine, right? Will post results later tomorrow

Solution
You really don't have anything to lose, because you can't use it the way it is now. Just be extremely careful. There are a number of guides online, even some fairly reputable ones, regarding making pin repairs to Intel LGA style pin assemblies as well as to AMD style on the CPU pins. Obviously, those are a bit easier in most cases than the ones on the motherboard, but don't be surprised if that pin bent completely 180 degrees from where it was originally, breaks while bending it back.

Whatever you do, don't bend it back ANY further than you need to in order for it to be where it needs to be and make contact with the contact points on the bottom of the CPU. Bending it further than necessary is the one sure way to make certain that the...
May 11, 2020
Assuming that was the issue, then yes it should be okay.
What are the full system specs?

i5 7600 (new one)
GTX 1060 3gb
EVGA 480w +80 bronze plus
Mother b250m pro vdh
2x4gb ram 2400mhz + 1x8 gb 2400mhz total 16gb singlechannel
Ssd 240gb kingston A40
Hdd 2tb blue wd

Am i missing something?

May 11, 2020
Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bad PSU potentially causing issues. While not top of the line yours should be okay.

Oh alright. So it should be ok. I will close this after i get some rest before doing it and posting the results here to help anyone else with this concern since i haven't found a case like mine :)

Please be tuned in for tomorrow if you willing to hear news about how this goes.

Edit: oh i got it wrong my psu is actually +80 plus white (like the normal one), does it change anything at all?

Reactions: Gam3r01
May 11, 2020
Oh alright. So it should be ok. I will close this after i get some rest before doing it and posting the results here to help anyone else with this concern since i haven't found a case like mine :)

Please be tuned in for tomorrow if you willing to hear news about how this goes.

Edit: oh i got it wrong my psu is actually +80 plus white (like the normal one), does it change anything at all?

Applied CPU. Motherboard seems to not recognize it at all... The white led marking (cpu) turns on as it had everything but the cpu installed...

Sent it to the pc repair, will post updates.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-cpu-without-frying-it.3605201/#post-21747074

This was my previous thread about this sad story, apparently everything now is fine despite the literal small but big problem of these pins.

Is it fixable? Attaching photo here: View: https://imgur.com/a/V8aE1JE

Last edited by a moderator:
You really don't have anything to lose, because you can't use it the way it is now. Just be extremely careful. There are a number of guides online, even some fairly reputable ones, regarding making pin repairs to Intel LGA style pin assemblies as well as to AMD style on the CPU pins. Obviously, those are a bit easier in most cases than the ones on the motherboard, but don't be surprised if that pin bent completely 180 degrees from where it was originally, breaks while bending it back.

Whatever you do, don't bend it back ANY further than you need to in order for it to be where it needs to be and make contact with the contact points on the bottom of the CPU. Bending it further than necessary is the one sure way to make certain that the metal breaks off from fatigue, and with that kind of metal "fatigue" doesn't take all that much to happen.

Solution