Question Friend Bought Used PC - Games Crashing to Desktop

richardm1994

Honorable
Mar 1, 2018
Greetings,

My friend got a new gaming PC from a co worker but it doesn't seem to be working for him.
The co worker is pretty trusted so I don't think he'd give him a bad system on purpose.

Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
GPU: Gigabyte 2060 6GB
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 8 core 3.2GHz

Apparently they've reset everything to factory defaults, updated to the newest BIOS version and for some reason any game he plays crashes to desktop.
My friend said he noticed that the core GPU clock is running at 2050 mhz default. Isn't that a bit high?

They said they underclocked it by 300-400 mhz and it's stable, but for some reason it defaults to 2050mhz and crashes - and that was before installing anything like MSI Afterburner.
They also tried installing new RAM but games won't even run underclocked with the new RAM installed.

Temps are around 50-60 celsius at all times.

Regards,
Richard M

Greetings,

My friend got a new gaming PC from a co worker but it doesn't seem to be working for him.
The co worker is pretty trusted so I don't think he'd give him a bad system on purpose.

Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming
GPU: Gigabyte 2060 6GB
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 8 core 3.2GHz

Apparently they've reset everything to factory defaults, updated to the newest BIOS version and for some reason any game he plays crashes to desktop.
My friend said he noticed that the core GPU clock is running at 2050 mhz default. Isn't that a bit high?
A bit? The max boost clock of the RTX 2060 should be no more than 1680MHz. There's no way that it should be running at over 2GHz. What's really puzzling though is this next bit:
Temps are around 50-60 celsius at all times.
This doesn't make sense at all because a card that's clocked 22% higher than its max boost should be a lot hotter than that. It really sounds like someone went in and screwed around with that card's firmware because it shouldn't be clocking like that AT ALL, let alone by default and if it is, it should be FAR hotter than just 60°C.

Either the card is reporting a false clock speed or a sensor is recording a false temperature because there's no way that a card can be THAT overclocked without running hotter than the sun.

Either way, there's definitely something fishy going on, whether you trust your co-worker or not. It's possible that one of his children had been messing around with the card to make it game better and screwed it up.