[SOLVED] Friend who built my pc screwed me over

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
Basically my “friend” claimed he knew a lot about pcs and building them and wanted me to get one so he could have someone to play with consistently and rushed me into getting one. Now I’m having multiple people telling me all the issues with my build like my PSU possibly not being reliable, my ram being too slow, my temps are too high, my case has terrible airflow, my motherboard isn’t good for my cpu, and so much more. I know this is my fault and I have no one to blame but myself. Could some people please i beg, tell me exactly what I should upgrade and switch out? My pc was built by my local computer store where I also bought all the parts 1 month ago meaning all parts are sadly no refundable.

link to my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/86vXcq

Solution
Okay, things are not as bad as they look and you have learned something and yes it is appaling as you have been misold and I am being kind here,....The 9700K matched to the RTX 2060 Super will do a great job on gaming and with a few changes you should be fine. Right now everything should work well and even though the PSU is not the greatest quality it should be more than fine.

Do this in steps!

Cooling, a better case with good airflow would really help on the cooling front and I would also make sure the CPU cooler is on properly so reinstall with new thermal paste. Lots of Youtube sites show you how to do this and it is not difficult at all. The Hyper 212 should be fine for stock no overclocked performance.

As to the case, something...

kanewolf

Titan
Basically my “friend” claimed he knew a lot about pcs and building them and wanted me to get one so he could have someone to play with consistently and rushed me into getting one. Now I’m having multiple people telling me all the issues with my build like my PSU possibly not being reliable, my ram being too slow, my temps are too high, my case has terrible airflow, my motherboard isn’t good for my cpu, and so much more. I know this is my fault and I have no one to blame but myself. Could some people please i beg, tell me exactly what I should upgrade and switch out? My pc was built by my local computer store where I also bought all the parts 1 month ago meaning all parts are sadly no refundable.

link to my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/86vXcq
Did the friend pick the parts or did you pick the parts?
It is obvious that your friend doesn't know a lot about PCs. He didn't do you any favors. "Screwed you over" ? Probably an overreaction.
Start with fixing your power supply and cooling.
The B365 motherboard doesn't allow overclocking. So the extra cost you paid for an unlocked "K" cpu wasted value. It could be fixed with a motherboard change.
Your RAM is slow, but should be functional.

Reactions: thebilaljunejo

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
Yes, your RAM is slow
Yes, your PSU is substandard
Your CPU cooler is mediocre for a $1700 system
What are the temps under load?
while playing gta v (the only kind of load game i own) i hit 88 degrees Celcius, that was with all settings by nvidia experiences optimized thing, i then proceeded to turn down some of the advanced graphics settings which are known to affect performance and tweaked msaa to off and reflection msaa off and grass quality from ultra to high and noticed it was staying under 80. to do that before i wouldve had to take off my bad airflow cases side panel off.

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
Did the friend pick the parts or did you pick the parts?
It is obvious that your friend doesn't know a lot about PCs. He didn't do you any favors. "Screwed you over" ? Probably an overreaction.
Start with fixing your power supply and cooling.
The B365 motherboard doesn't allow overclocking. So the extra cost you paid for an unlocked "K" cpu wasted value. It could be fixed with a motherboard change.
Your RAM is slow, but should be functional.
my friend picked the parts since he claimed to know about building a pc, and i know im over reacting, just hate my position right now. i have 4 fans total at the moment with 2 running maxed out in my mobo and the other 2 at half speed since they are connected to the red/black wire to molex thing in my psu. 3 as intake and 1 exhaust. also what exactly should i do to my psu? i posted this on reddit too and many people are saying it should be fine but id like to stay on the safer side to be frank.

kanewolf

Titan
my friend picked the parts since he claimed to know about building a pc, and i know im over reacting, just hate my position right now. i have 4 fans total at the moment with 2 running maxed out in my mobo and the other 2 at half speed since they are connected to the red/black wire to molex thing in my psu. 3 as intake and 1 exhaust. also what exactly should i do to my psu? i posted this on reddit too and many people are saying it should be fine but id like to stay on the safer side to be frank.
What country are you in ?

kanewolf

Titan
Power supply -- Get a Seasonic Focus. Something like this -- https://www.amazon.ca/Seasonic-GX-650-Full-Modular-Application-SSR-650FX/dp/B077J9QTDR
If you think your case is causing temp problems. Take the side panel off and run it. If your temps are significantly better, then you DO have an airflow problem.

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
Power supply -- Get a Seasonic Focus. Something like this -- https://www.amazon.ca/Seasonic-GX-650-Full-Modular-Application-SSR-650FX/dp/B077J9QTDR
If you think your case is causing temp problems. Take the side panel off and run it. If your temps are significantly better, then you DO have an airflow problem.
while playing gta on nvidia experience optimized settings which is everything maxed it my gpu hit 88 deg celcius, with side panel off it was more around high 70 low 80. ive been looking into cases like the nr600 and meshify c and s2 but am more focused on my more important components and making them reliable for now. but i will definitely look into it. thanks by the way i appreciate it

kanewolf

Titan
while playing gta on nvidia experience optimized settings which is everything maxed it my gpu hit 88 deg celcius, with side panel off it was more around high 70 low 80. ive been looking into cases like the nr600 and meshify c and s2 but am more focused on my more important components and making them reliable for now. but i will definitely look into it. thanks by the way i appreciate it
88C is the top end of temps for that graphics card according to NVIDIA --
Posting some pictures of the internals might help us recommend something for your temp problems.

Okay, things are not as bad as they look and you have learned something and yes it is appaling as you have been misold and I am being kind here,....The 9700K matched to the RTX 2060 Super will do a great job on gaming and with a few changes you should be fine. Right now everything should work well and even though the PSU is not the greatest quality it should be more than fine.

Do this in steps!

Cooling, a better case with good airflow would really help on the cooling front and I would also make sure the CPU cooler is on properly so reinstall with new thermal paste. Lots of Youtube sites show you how to do this and it is not difficult at all. The Hyper 212 should be fine for stock no overclocked performance.

As to the case, something as simple as this will do a great job on makeing thermals better:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...n-focus-g-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-bu-w
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/pwzFf7/metallic-gear-neo-air-atx-mid-tower-case-mg-ne520a_bk01
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/NzrmP6/rosewill-spectra-c100-atx-mid-tower-case-r0901008-0118

Things for the future....

Motherboard to Z390
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...lite-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-aorus-elite

Ram which is very cost effective to DDR4 3600, sadly you will need a motherboard change for this type of ram...
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...b-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c19d-16gvrb

Solution
The Meshifi C would be great!

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018

Do this in steps!

As to the case, something as simple as this will do a great job on makeing thermals better:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...n-focus-g-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-bu-w
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/pwzFf7/metallic-gear-neo-air-atx-mid-tower-case-mg-ne520a_bk01
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/NzrmP6/rosewill-spectra-c100-atx-mid-tower-case-r0901008-0118

Things for the future....

Motherboard to Z390
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...lite-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-aorus-elite

Ram which is very cost effective to DDR4 3600, sadly you will need a motherboard change for this type of ram...
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product...b-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c19d-16gvrb
thank you so much for this amazing reply. im definitelly going to be upgrading all of the thing you said in december to what you said as almost everyone on reddit has said the exact same parts its actually weird haha. thanks so much again

Reactions: vMax

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
A lot of bluster over what would turn out to be a couple of frames...

Intel doesn't have the RAM issues that AMD does with slow RAM and lower frames. You might note a few frames for something faster, but would probably wait until you have a need for MORE RAM, not just to get "faster" RAM on this platform.

The locked mobo "smells" more like someone trying to cut corners on pricing. There is nothing WRONG with choosing a (non OC) chipset with a K skew, it just forgoes the ability to OC. That CPU still has a higher base clock than it's non K sister.
The bigger question on the mobo is whether it has all the connections you need day to day, and space for all the drives and such that you have a need for now and into the near-ish future. If so, I wouldn't think too hard on it.

You "could" have had different choices and in many of them the price would have been higher. The RAM selection was very questionable IMO if nothing else for a price to speed point...but I really don't feel like it's injuring your frames too bad. Be happy with what is a darned nice build that many people would have reason to be jealous of.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if you are looking into a PC case of some kind, I do highly recommend Meshify series.
I've been rocking my build (can see links in my signature) inside the Meshify C TG for a good while now and love it.
If not using an AiO at the front and just fans, it can support up to a 300mm long GPU.
Comes with two fans already, and adding more is easy as pie.

I highly suggest NOT using fans that connect to Molex for power.
Bad juju. If using a motherboard without enough headers, use splitters.

In fact, here's a picture cuz why not

This photo is from a little while ago (don't worry, I cleaned the dust lol)
And I put a ruler up against it so you can see just how well designed it is to cram so much in such a small space.

Full size ATX board and 280mm AiO

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
A lot of bluster over what would turn out to be a couple of frames...

Intel doesn't have the RAM issues that AMD does with slow RAM and lower frames. You might note a few frames for something faster, but would probably wait until you have a need for MORE RAM, not just to get "faster" RAM on this platform.

The locked mobo "smells" more like someone trying to cut corners on pricing. There is nothing WRONG with choosing a (non OC) chipset with a K skew, it just forgoes the ability to OC. That CPU still has a higher base clock than it's non K sister.
The bigger question on the mobo is whether it has all the connections you need day to day, and space for all the drives and such that you have a need for now and into the near-ish future. If so, I wouldn't think too hard on it.

You "could" have had different choices and in many of them the price would have been higher. The RAM selection was very questionable IMO if nothing else for a price to speed point...but I really don't feel like it's injuring your frames too bad. Be happy with what is a darned nice build that many people would have reason to be jealous of.
yeah i should be more grateful, this thing is something i never even though i would have. thanks man

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
if you are looking into a PC case of some kind, I do highly recommend Meshify series.
I've been rocking my build (can see links in my signature) inside the Meshify C TG for a good while now and love it.
If not using an AiO at the front and just fans, it can support up to a 300mm long GPU.
Comes with two fans already, and adding more is easy as pie.

I highly suggest NOT using fans that connect to Molex for power.
Bad juju. If using a motherboard without enough headers, use splitters.

In fact, here's a picture cuz why not

This photo is from a little while ago (don't worry, I cleaned the dust lol)
And I put a ruler up against it so you can see just how well designed it is to cram so much in such a small space.

Full size ATX board and 280mm AiO
cant say much other than wow that is smexy haha. definetely interested in the meshify series. the weird pattern at the front just looks so nice i wish more mesh cases had that.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
cant say much other than wow that is smexy haha. definetely interested in the meshify series. the weird pattern at the front just looks so nice i wish more mesh cases had that.
** GASP ** I'm not the only one out there who says "smexy" :LOL:

But yeah, it's super well designed with the concept of no wasted space internally with bulky things like drive cages and such (dual slot drive cage is under the PSU shroud) bringing the form factor down to something between microATX and mid tower but being able to put full size components inside.

With my measurements, if using an AiO like me, you have clearance for up to 284mm long GPU, and with just fans at the front you have clearance up to 300mm long GPU (as stated above and in specs of product page)

Has mounting for two SSD's on the back behind the case, and drive cage for up to two 3.5" drives underneath shroud.

Can fit standard ATX PSU.
Can squeeze larger PSU but would need to probably take out the drive cage.

When it comes to the Meshify series, you have three options:
Meshify Mini
Meshify C
Meshify S.

Mini is even smaller than the one I have and is for mATX builds.
The C is for up to ATX and making it a comfortable and snug fit for everything keeping the size of the whole thing on the smaller side compared to other cases.
The S is larger and will have extra space left over for custom loop cooling (possibly eATX support, but can't recall right now)

Each costs what they cost, and come in both solid and tempered glass side panel variants.

The Meshify C specifically supports either 2x140mm or 2x120mm fans (or either 280mm or 240mm AiO) at the front.
1x120mm fan at the rear.

And for the top, you can do either 2x140mm fans, or, 2x120mm fans/240mm AiO (depending on your RAM height. Get RAM that has super tall height and you may have clearance issues. only 240mm AiO supported, no clearance for 280mm)

Most questionable there is NVME 1TB drive for $640! If you really payed that much, then it's $450 right in the dumpster. Even 970 evo (one of best nvme drives out there) 1TB costs less than $200.

And questionable PSU, of course.

So change PSU first. Then may be get a better case and better cpu cooler. Other than that it's perfectly fine build.

thebilaljunejo

Prominent
Aug 23, 2018
Most questionable there is NVME 1TB drive for $640! If you really payed that much, then it's $450 right in the dumpster. Even 970 evo (one of best nvme drives out there) 1TB costs less than $200.

And questionable PSU, of course.

So change PSU first. Then may be get a better case and better cpu cooler. Other than that it's perfectly fine build.
its displaying the wrong price on there, i bought it for $200 cad which is $150 usd. thanks for the tips man

Status
Not open for further replies.