Question Front USB 3.0 port not working

Mar 23, 2022
Recently, I bought Coolermaster MasterBox MB500. I set up it and recognised there is one usb port which isn't working (one of two of them). I checked if front panel 3.0 cable is attached correctly and it is. What should I do?

41LwfLREJdL._AC_.jpg

You can buy this cable for $3 to test the USB 3.0 header, if all the ports work, it means that the cable to front panel or the front panel itself is faulty.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No. All mobo USB 3 headers actually contain the connections for TWO USB 3.2 ports because that's how the USB3 controller chips are designed. It is far more likely that there is a bad connection in the cable between the mobo header and the front panel sockets, quite possibly at the small board where the cable reaches the two sockets.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
I think usb 3.0 itself is just garbage...

Nope, USB 3 itself is fine, but alot of case mfgr's cheap out on the front panel connectors and cables they use, which causes the problems you mentioned and sometimes moar...

I've had a few cases that had 2x USB-3 ports on the front I/O panels, and always had problems using both ports at the same time, even though each one worked fine when the other was not being used. So after confirming that the mobo header was working correctly, I replaced those el-cheapo case cables with good high-quality ones and whah-lah, no moar issues :D