Question Frustrating Ethernet Cable Disconnects While Playing CS2: Seeking Solutions

Oct 8, 2023
I've been experiencing an issue while playing CS2 where my Ethernet cable keeps disconnecting. To provide some context, I've set up my internet connection using a powerline adapter, which plugs directly into an electrical socket to transmit internet signals throughout my home.

The problem seems to occur specifically during my CS2 gaming sessions, and it's been quite frustrating. My internet connection is generally stable for other activities, but when I engage in the game, the Ethernet cable frequently becomes disconnected. This not only disrupts my gaming experience but also impacts the gameplay for other players.

I've tried troubleshooting this issue by inspecting the physical connection of the Ethernet cable, ensuring that the adapter is securely plugged into the socket, and verifying that there are no loose connections. Additionally, I've checked for any potential interference from other devices or appliances that might be affecting the powerline adapter's performance.

Despite these efforts, the problem persists, and I'm at a loss for a solution. If anyone has experienced a similar issue or has any advice on how to resolve this problem and maintain a stable connection while playing CS2, I would greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Do you get a disconnected message or do you just get disconnected from the game.

This is actually complex since there are a number of things it can be. The most likely is some issue with the powerline units but you also have 2 ethernet cable that could actually be bad. All it takes is them to either move a tiny bit in the jack or a wire to move internally because of small temperature changes.

The quickest test would be to replace the ethernet cables on both ends. Make sure you use quality cables there are massive amounts of fake cable sold. That flat stuff is the most common fake cable with wires much too small. You need pure copper wire with wire size 22-24 awg. It only needs to be cat5e but if you do not see the type of metal and wire size buy from another vendor.

The powerline units are a pain in the butt to debug. If they completely fail you see issues with the lights. When you get a short drop many times there is no indicator. The last powerline units I messed with had extremely limited ability to configure them and didn't have any kind of log or software status indicator.