Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have never had a clear idea of this problem:

I run Norton AV 2005, which has "worm protection". Windows security center
recognizes this as a "firewall". I also have ZoneAlarm (most recent free ed)
as my firewall. If I turn off ZoneAlarm, NAV is my recognized as my
"firewall". If I disable "worm protection" in NAV2005 settings, ZoneAlarm is
recognized as my firewall. If I run both NAV worm protection and ZoneAlarm,
my Windows security center states: At least one firewall is
running....................What gives? What should I do? I understand that I
should run only one firewall.

--
Bob

Malke

Bob wrote:

> I have never had a clear idea of this problem:
>
> I run Norton AV 2005, which has "worm protection". Windows security
> center recognizes this as a "firewall". I also have ZoneAlarm (most
> recent free ed) as my firewall. If I turn off ZoneAlarm, NAV is my
> recognized as my "firewall". If I disable "worm protection" in NAV2005
> settings, ZoneAlarm is recognized as my firewall. If I run both NAV
> worm protection and ZoneAlarm, my Windows security center states: At
> least one firewall is running....................What gives? What
> should I do? I understand that I should run only one firewall.

Probably NAV or ZoneAlarm is disabling the other one when you try and
run both at the same time. As you have stated, this is not a good idea.
In NAV's options, disable the Internet Worm Protection. Use ZoneAlarm
and not the Windows Firewall.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I personally think ZoneAlarm is overkill, just use a small AV like AVG
or Symantec Corp, and choose a simple firewall.