Question Full System Crash During Games (Power Off) / Troubleshooting Assistance Request

Oct 19, 2022
Hey all.

ISSUE: System is crashing to S5/Shutdown State. Power drops, displays go blank. Seems to happen primarily in two games, 7 Days to Die, and VRChat. Initially assumed it was an issue with 7 Days to Die, but after encountering the same issue with VRchat, Might be an issue with UNITY-based games?

System Specs:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X
  • Cooler: FUMA 2
  • GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
  • RAM: 32GB (8X4) 3200 14-14-14-34 (Running in XMP)(QVL)
  • MOTHERBOARD: X570 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: CORSAIR AX860
  • CASE: HAF XB EVO
  • All available fans spaces occupied with fans (Well Ventilated)

Things I Have Tried:
  • DDU Uninstall / Install fresh drivers.
  • Adjusting Windows power settings.
  • Swap out HDD with fresh OS (Windows 11) install.
  • Prime95 runs fine.
  • Superposition Heavenly GPU Benchmark runs fine @ Extreme settings for both DirectX and OpenGL.
  • Windows Memory (RAM) diagnostics produce no errors.
  • Switched BIOS on GPU from Normal to OC to try to adjust fan curve.

I am able to reliably reproduce this crash by loading a particular VRChat world (Midnight Spooktop). I can play for a bit, but it seems to crash the system after about 3-10 minutes.

Provided the above information, one would assume a temperature issue, but that I am able to run Prime95 without issue, and a GPU benchmark without issue, the only heating issue I can currently think of would be ambient temperatures. Along those lines, it's ~73F in here.

Currently, my assumption is that the combination of CPU and GPU are pulling too much on the AX860 PSU.

POSSIBLY IMPORTANT: I did manage to crash the system in a similar way by running both Prime95 and GPU benchmarks simultaneously.

If anyone has any ideas that I might be missing, please share. I'm at my wits' end, currently.

Thank you!