Question Full tower PC cases that are noob friendly?

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
I am looking to build my first computer. I currently have an acer predator that I put new ram in and a gtx 1080 in a few years ago, but I need a new CPU. I figure it is time to just upgrade the whole thing.
I am looking for cases that may be user friendly for people who have not done this before. I would prefer bigger than mid-tower.
I really appreciate any help!

What are the model numbers for your current motherboard and power supply. Or the full model of your prebuilt system?

Are you planning to also replace the motherboard and memory or are you looking only to upgrade the CPU to a higher tiered model that will still work with the motherboard and memory you have? How old is this system?

The reason I ask is that many of these prebuilt systems come with hardware that is not compatible with standard ATX cases, power supplies and motherboard form factors, so in many cases you must upgrade ALL of those in order to move away from the prebuilt case and hardware.

Are you looking for a full tower case that is good quality, easy to work in and has good airflow, with a simple not too flashy design, maybe a TG side panel but not a lot of RGB etc., or are you looking for something with a bunch of bling?

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
I am am basically gonna build a completely new computer. I will only transfer over my RAM and GPU till I can afford a new one.

I plan on getting an i9 CPU along with the ROG XI hero mobo, but that is all I know to this point.

I am mainly concerned about a lot of room and good airflow, since this will be my first time. Lighting would be nice as would a see through side panel. I'm really not concerned about price.

What kind of memory and what speed to your currently have? It's DDR4, and not DDR3? Is is higher speed memory or something below 2666mhz? That might be an important factor. What you have now might not even be compatible with the platform you wish to ugprade to, so it's best to at least ask that question in order to be sure. Take nothing for granted is my approach, that way basic mistakes can be avoided.

Do you actually understand, no offense, but most people don't, how damn BIG a full tower case actually is? They are HUGE.

Likely, most mid tower ATX cases are significantly larger than your predator case, without being as outrageously huge as a full tower ATX case. I'm happy to help you with recommendations if you are actually sure you need a full tower case, but generally speaking, if you are not planning on running 8-10 various internal storage devices, or using an EATX motherboard, there are very few use cases where a full tower case makes much sense for the average person. Glad to point you at some good ones if you're sure that's what you want, but I'm telling you, they are overkill for anybody who doesn't specifically and fully realize the sheer immensity of a full tower case by comparison.

Are you planning to do liquid cooling or anything else that might offer a good reason for it? I'm just wondering. Because, for example, I have a mid tower Fractal design Define S, with six drives, a very large power supply, full size ATX motherboard, 8 fans including the two on the CPU cooler and the one cooling my M.2 drive, and I STILL have a great deal of extra room around all my components with plenty to spare. Particularly if you go with a case that mounts the drives on the backside of the motherboard tray, rather than in drive cages in the main chamber.

This is my mid tower case. Which is pretty big. A full tower will be significantly larger. Not that I don't think you don't know what you really want, it's just one of those things you want to be sure about because I've been through this before with a number of people and in EVERY case, they were like "Oh damn, I had no idea it was actually THAT big".

7HwacgP.jpg

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
Its ddr3 nemory. I can purchase new ram though.
My gtx 1080 is really tight in my case and it runs warm, that's why I wanna be careful.

Liquid cooling is something I'd like top do, but I'm not sure I'll know how. I'm nervous enough as it is Haha

The EVGA RTX 2080 TI XC Ultra gaming, for example, is only 270mm long. There are plenty of mid tower cases that will accommodate even the longest of graphics cards, especially if you choose a model like mine that has no drive cages in the main compartment. My RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra gaming is the same length as the 2080 TI, so that part doesn't really matter, as far as it being a 2080 TI. What matters is the MODEL of the card, as in, it's length, and usually only the very long three fan models even offer minimal problems but even those won't on a mid tower with no drive cages that instead uses drive mounting on the backside of the motherboard tray, out of the way.

So at this point my suggestion is that you need a case, a motherboard, a CPU, memory and a different power supply because I know that Predator didn't come with a quality PSU.

What do you feel like your budget for those components can accomodate? When do you plan on getting the 2080 TI?

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
I planned on pretty building from scratch, but getting piece by piece (pieces that are compatible)

The GPU will be the last thing that I upgrade. I planned on spending more on the cpu and mobo; about 250 to 300 on the mobo, around 400-600 on the cpu. I do not know much about psu's and RAM I planned on spending about 150 to 200 on max.

Willdobbo

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hi Mate,

If you look at any PC case, The main thing you want to look for is good air flow and plenty of space on the rear panel for cable management, This will make your PC building experience so much easier. I would also look at going with a modular power supply as it avoids having excess cables in your case which you will then want to hide.

I would say if you go with any well known brand of full size ATX case you wont have any problems :) They are all designed for good air flow and cable management, after all ATX is the biggest size so will have plenty of room for all your components! Only thing to double check would be to make sure the length of your graphics card would fit, This measurement is normally given in PC case descriptions :)

Cheers!

Ok, so I think a mid tower case is plenty for you.

Now for the cooling. An All in one liquid cooler is easy to install, but there is no reason you NEED to use one. A good air cooler is plenty for 99% of builds.

This is the case that I'd MOST recommend in your situation.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-define-s2-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352097

And if you don't mind the angles on the front panel, the meshify version will have even better airflow.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-meshify-s2-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352102

Those will both accommodate any graphics card up to 440mm long, so basically any graphics card.

Obviously there are a lot more potential cases out there, so if you don't like either of those it is at least a starting point so you can point out things you would prefer to have that those don't etc. and get refined to the point of finding a model you like. I would not get caught up in case models that COME with their own fans, especially RGB models, because those are usually poor quality. Well, not usually, always.

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
Ok, so I think a mid tower case is plenty for you.

Now for the cooling. An All in one liquid cooler is easy to install, but there is no reason you NEED to use one. A good air cooler is plenty for 99% of builds.

This is the case that I'd MOST recommend in your situation.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-define-s2-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352097

And if you don't mind the angles on the front panel, the meshify version will have even better airflow.

https://www.newegg.com/black-fractal-design-meshify-s2-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811352102

Those will both accommodate any graphics card up to 440mm long, so basically any graphics card.

Obviously there are a lot more potential cases out there, so if you don't like either of those it is at least a starting point so you can point out things you would prefer to have that those don't etc. and get refined to the point of finding a model you like. I would not get caught up in case models that COME with their own fans, especially RGB models, because those are usually poor quality. Well, not usually, always.
I am honestly not even sure what liquid cooling is, and how it works and is maintained.

This is probably a dumb question but it looks like those cases have parts that cover the mother board, ect. Wouldnt that make it really hot ?

What do you mean by parts that cover the motherboard? There are no parts that cover the motherboard. This is that exact case, WITH motherboard installed and liquid cooling. Again, liquid cooling is not required, but this just happens to have an All in one liquid cooler installed. An air cooler is fine.

deje0iw7z6q11.jpg

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
What do you mean by parts that cover the motherboard? There are no parts that cover the motherboard. This is that exact case, WITH motherboard installed and liquid cooling. Again, liquid cooling is not required, but this just happens to have an All in one liquid cooler installed. An air cooler is fine.

deje0iw7z6q11.jpg
The only thing is I'll be financing through best buy and I dont see the cases there

You're going to be paying a lot more for hardware if you're buying it through Worst buy. I'll buy products from them, especially home electronics because their Insignia line of products are very good quality at budget prices, or if I NEED something RIGHT NOW that they happen to have in the store, but overall their prices are often 30-50% higher than what you can get hardware for through Amazon, Newegg, B&H Photo, Outlet PC and places like that.

But, if you have to buy through them due to having a line of credit from them, then you do what you have to do I suppose.

The ONLY case on Best Buy that I'd really not have any trouble recommending, in this case at least, would be the Corsair Crystal 460x. It REALLY limits your options if you're going to be buying your hardware through Best Buy, because not only are they more expensive, but they are really not a PC hardware vendor in any sense of the word and the product selection through them is extremely limited.

Xxfyrus

Honorable
Aug 26, 2016
You're going to be paying a lot more for hardware if you're buying it through Worst buy. I'll buy products from them, especially home electronics because their Insignia line of products are very good quality at budget prices, or if I NEED something RIGHT NOW that they happen to have in the store, but overall their prices are often 30-50% higher than what you can get hardware for through Amazon, Newegg, B&H Photo, Outlet PC and places like that.

But, if you have to buy through them due to having a line of credit from them, then you do what you have to do I suppose.

The ONLY case on Best Buy that I'd really not have any trouble recommending, in this case at least, would be the Corsair Crystal 460x. It REALLY limits your options if you're going to be buying your hardware through Best Buy, because not only are they more expensive, but they are really not a PC hardware vendor in any sense of the word and the product selection through them is extremely limited.
Then I probably won't buy anything, I am a loser I know. Sorry I wasted your time.