Future of Duron

G

We all know the Duron destroys the Celeron performance wise. However Intel says it has 95% of the inexpensive PC business. On pricewatch the cheapest Celeron motherboard I could find, the Soyo SY-7SBB is 29 dollars using an SIS 600 series chipset. It even uses an AT case and PS which is nice since I have several sitting around unused. The cheapest Duron Motherboard was 77 dollars using VIA chipset. I know SIS has a new integrated chipset for Duron/Athlon, the 760. My question is, will Duron be able to compete on the very inexpensive end? It seems to me the Duron will still need a stronger power supply, heat sink, and better memory. My friends HP with a celeron processor, 810 chipset, and less than 200 watt power supply is a real dog when it comes to performance with everything integrated, but it is cheap.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dimmwit on 11/14/00 06:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When there's a demand, they will be a supply. If there us a demand for Duron for OEM markets, there will be supply. Duron is just 6 months old, and AMD is not as large as Intel, so it should take a while before cheaper solutions for Duron can be made possible. Anyway Duron will be taken over by Clawhammer, the <b>Morgan</b> next year/

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!

G

the main reason for the cheap Celeron parts is cos they are old and outdated , it will take some time for this to become true with the duron but it will happen.

M

G

Not much time left for this one. But don't worry soon AMD will release it's hammer series. :)