Fuzzy display driving me mad....

rafael

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

Hi,

I hope this is an appropriate group to post to. If not, perhaps
someone could suggest a better one...

I have 3 Dell Optiplex G260 running XP and each has a new Dell E171FP
flat screen monitor. The display doesn't seem too bad at first glance
but after working with it for a while, it causes dreadful
headaches!!!! All text appears as though it has a very faint shadow
behind it and/or the edges of the letters aren't clearly defined. (I
have no idea why but it seems particularly bad in Outlook). I have
spent ages tweaking every display setting I can possibly think of and
have also tried using the function buttons on the monitor itself
including the auto-adjust one. I can improve it slightly but it never
quite hits the mark! I have downloaded/installed the latest
appropriate drivers and I've run out of ideas. Can anyone suggest any
ideas?....Please?...I might have tried it but please suggest it
anyway....I'm grateful for any clues.

Thanks. Rafael.

Did you try turning on cleartype?
Are you running the monitor at 1280x1024? That's the ONLY correct
resolution.

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:
> Did you try turning on cleartype?
> Are you running the monitor at 1280x1024? That's the ONLY correct
> resolution.
>
> Tom
> "Rafael" <rafael_romano299@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I hope this is an appropriate group to post to. If not, perhaps
>> someone could suggest a better one...
>>
>> I have 3 Dell Optiplex G260 running XP and each has a new Dell E171FP
>> flat screen monitor. The display doesn't seem too bad at first
>> glance but after working with it for a while, it causes dreadful
>> headaches!!!! All text appears as though it has a very faint shadow
>> behind it and/or the edges of the letters aren't clearly defined. (I
>> have no idea why but it seems particularly bad in Outlook). I have
>> spent ages tweaking every display setting I can possibly think of and
>> have also tried using the function buttons on the monitor itself
>> including the auto-adjust one. I can improve it slightly but it
>> never quite hits the mark! I have downloaded/installed the latest
>> appropriate drivers and I've run out of ideas. Can anyone suggest
>> any ideas?....Please?...I might have tried it but please suggest it
>> anyway....I'm grateful for any clues.
>>
>> Thanks. Rafael.

....set up Cleartype:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/1.htm

rafael

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

Thank you so much for your responses. It sounded like exactly what we
needed in order to resolve this issue however, it made no difference
to 2 of the PCs and the 3rd one would not go beyond stage 2.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Rafael wrote:
> Thank you so much for your responses. It sounded like exactly what we
> needed in order to resolve this issue however, it made no difference
> to 2 of the PCs and the 3rd one would not go beyond stage 2.
>
> Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Are you sure you are running at the default monitor resolution? As Tom
said, 1280x1024 is the typical default resolution of a monitor that
size. Is the monitor properly identified in Device Manager? Color
depth set at 16, 24, or 32 bits? Is the refresh rate properly set at
60hz or 85hz or whatever the monitor requires? Is it using digital or
analog output?