Question ? FWG OR FWG SE for 2.5/10gbit home network ?

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
Iv recently upgraded my home network ie the connection between my pc's , switchs , AP's , a custom server
to a mix of both 2.5gbit & 10gbit lans (2.5gb for the pc's 2.5gb AP for 2 tablets 2 laptops & smart phone )(10gbit for custom nas server)

this handles all data & files between the gear in the home
my isp is still 500mbits (dont need anymore an cant afford it either)

my current router is the FWG that iv had for just a little over 3 years now an its been great
but im wondering with my upgraded internal network is ther any reason or benifit to upgrading to the FWG SE
to tie my newer network gear

my current config is 2 x NICGIGA 2.5G Ethernet Switchs

( 1x 6 Port | 4X2.5G+ 2x 10G SFP(VLAN) & (1x 6 Port | 4X2.5G PoE+ 2x 10G SFP )
an this is my current config an layout

the 6 Port | 4X2.5G+ 2x 10G SFP VLAN with vlan enabled it has my NVIDIA Shield , 2x 2.5gb pc's & mini-forums um560xt on the 2.5 ports
an is connected vi the 1st 10gbit trunk port to the FWG (the other two FWG lans are covering the printer & voip phone)

with the 2nd 10gbit trunk port linked to the 2nd on the 6 Port | 4X2.5G PoE+ 2x 10G SFP switch with the 10gbit server/nas on the first
with the 2.5gbit AP an 3x poe cams on the 4X2.5G PoE ports

It doesn't seem like there's really any reason for an upgrade so long as the connection to your ISP is good. Sounds like you've got all of the important equipment behind the higher speed ports which is really all you need. Anything outside of your network will be bottlenecked by your ISP connection.

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
It doesn't seem like there's really any reason for an upgrade so long as the connection to your ISP is good. Sounds like you've got all of the important equipment behind the higher speed ports which is really all you need. Anything outside of your network will be bottlenecked by your ISP connection.
thanks

The key thing is most your equipment can not even come close to 1gbit much less 2.5 or 10g. Anything wifi is going to be limited by the wifi. Many other things do not run any applications that benefit. Most people stuff is going to the internet which will be limited by your 500mbps. Even 500mbps is massive when you consider watching 4k video streams uses about 40mbit/sec or less.

It is a very narrow range of applications in a home install that can even come close to using more than 1gbit. Say you are doing large video rendering remotely on multiple machine. If you were to do the rendering on a single machine you are better off having the data local to that machine rather than on a nas.

Just be careful with your install that you are not artificially limiting yourself. Simple switches all the traffic will go directly between the ports. If you start using vlans and more important trying to router traffic between vlans then all the traffic must go to your firewall.

I do not know any details about that firewall/router. Most these cheaper routers can not actually pass data anywhere close to the port speeds. They of course can if they run as a switch but as soon as the traffic must pass the cpu and run software rather than hardware asic you get all kinds of bottlenecks. A key example is vpn. Many of these cheap firewall do not have a cpu that supports hardware encryption accelerations. This means many of them are limited to well under 100mbps of vpn throughput.

Even simple traffic filtering though can bottleneck on the cpu.

In the end just use simple switches if you want very high speed and avoid running any traffic through anything that uses CPU to handle the data. There is a reason that large companies pay many thousands of dollars for a firewall.

Reactions: DREDKNOT_2077

DREDKNOT_2077

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
The key thing is most your equipment can not even come close to 1gbit much less 2.5 or 10g. Anything wifi is going to be limited by the wifi. Many other things do not run any applications that benefit. Most people stuff is going to the internet which will be limited by your 500mbps. Even 500mbps is massive when you consider watching 4k video streams uses about 40mbit/sec or less.

It is a very narrow range of applications in a home install that can even come close to using more than 1gbit. Say you are doing large video rendering remotely on multiple machine. If you were to do the rendering on a single machine you are better off having the data local to that machine rather than on a nas.

Just be careful with your install that you are not artificially limiting yourself. Simple switches all the traffic will go directly between the ports. If you start using vlans and more important trying to router traffic between vlans then all the traffic must go to your firewall.

I do not know any details about that firewall/router. Most these cheaper routers can not actually pass data anywhere close to the port speeds. They of course can if they run as a switch but as soon as the traffic must pass the cpu and run software rather than hardware asic you get all kinds of bottlenecks. A key example is vpn. Many of these cheap firewall do not have a cpu that supports hardware encryption accelerations. This means many of them are limited to well under 100mbps of vpn throughput.

Even simple traffic filtering though can bottleneck on the cpu.

In the end just use simple switches if you want very high speed and avoid running any traffic through anything that uses CPU to handle the data. There is a reason that large companies pay many thousands of dollars for a firewall.
thanks