FX 8320 to 4ghz safe overclock

rupakgirkar406

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017
Hello everyone, i intend to Overclock my processor to mild 4 ghz to get the max out of my stock power considering all my component setup

My specs are:-

• Mobo-ASUS M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3
    Ram Kingston HyperX fury Blue 4X2=8gb
    Cooler-CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 EVO
    CPU-AMD FX8320
    PSU-Corsair VS450(450W)

My major concern is how to do it in simplest way possible without any mishaps and whether i'd be fine to do it.
Please help and guide me regarding my issue:wahoo:.

Solution
Right off the bat there's 3 things going to fight you with OC and that 8320.
1) the motherboard. There's no sort of heatsinking on the voltage regulatory circuitry, so VRM/Mosfet temps (that's the caps etc on the left of the socket) are going to exceed capacity extremely quickly, especially since it's a 760g chipset, designed for 65/95w cpus like the fx6300, but bios updated to handle 125w Vishera. It's about the worst possible OC board for that cpu.
2) the tx3 is pretty much barely better than the stock cooler, expect any OC to drive cpu temps up very quick with any high core usage. OC almost always requires a cpu cooler with a TDP @1.5-2x the TDP of the cpu. For a reason.
3) psu. The VS is about the lowest grade psu Corsair offers...

Masoner

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
I would suggest actually going to youtube and searching for your MB/CPU and OC guide.

I would imagine you'd want to update/flash your MB's Bios first.

and then it's just increasing your CPU multiplier (or what ever it uses in the bios) a bit at a time, restart and go till it wont go no more then back down.

Then run a stress test for a 30-1 hour ish and see how it does.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Right off the bat there's 3 things going to fight you with OC and that 8320.
1) the motherboard. There's no sort of heatsinking on the voltage regulatory circuitry, so VRM/Mosfet temps (that's the caps etc on the left of the socket) are going to exceed capacity extremely quickly, especially since it's a 760g chipset, designed for 65/95w cpus like the fx6300, but bios updated to handle 125w Vishera. It's about the worst possible OC board for that cpu.
2) the tx3 is pretty much barely better than the stock cooler, expect any OC to drive cpu temps up very quick with any high core usage. OC almost always requires a cpu cooler with a TDP @1.5-2x the TDP of the cpu. For a reason.
3) psu. The VS is about the lowest grade psu Corsair offers, it's outputs are barely inside limits required for normal, stable operation. OC requires stability of the DC ripple, the higher the stability, the better the chances of stable OC.

Honestly, I can't fault wanting more from an fx cpu, they are capable of it, but getting more means having the support to do so, and in your case, that's very minimal.

Good luck with your endeavors, but getting an education on fx OC online is a must as you really have no room for error.

Solution
Overclocking with your motherboard and PSU is a non starter. That motherboard is known to have issues running 125w cpu’s at stock speeds. Your cooler also provides less cooling for motherboard components than the stock cooler. Even if you manage a any stable overclock it’s going to be very small and unnoticeable.

The problem is your motherboard is known to throttle all 125w CPU's at stock speeds due to overheating VRM's. Better case airflow and a top down cooler blowing air over the VRM's can get 125w running ok but its the limit the motherboard can take.

rupakgirkar406

Prominent
Dec 16, 2017

For the record, currently my Temps from case are 35-40C and processor shows 23C (HWMonitor).....is that passable?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. Hwmonitor isn't very accurate when reading temps from FX cpus, any of them. There isn't any software that will other than amd overdrive which uses thermal limits. AMD fx temps don't respond the way Intel cpu's do as there's no thermal sensors on the cores the way Intel has them.

You cannot cool something by mechanical means (that's any aircooler or aio or even full custom loop as they all use fans and a physical heat transfer through metal plates) lower than the ambient temps. Physically impossible. So if the ambient temp inside the case is 40°C, the absolute lowest possible cpu temp would be 40°C, but due to thermal restrictions it'd normally be @6-10°C higher.

Use Amd Overdrive. It reads the maximum temp the cpu can run at, then uses algorithms to calculate the temp as is, then refers to how much is left. So if it says you have a thermal limit of 40,that means you have @40°C left to play with. If you have a thermal limit of 10, you have @10°C left. If you get a thermal limit of 0 or negative numbers, you are now cooking the cpu and should expect thermal throttling at the very least, probably shutdowns soon to prevent damage.

Unlike Intel cpu's, the actual number read by AO isn't a representative of any physical temp, so the number of the thermal limit isn't as important as what it actually means. There's no real difference between 40 and 20,they are the same thing, you have room. What's important is the relationship the number represents. 40 means you have a lot more room to play with than 20.