Fx-8350 powerful enough for the GTX 1070

Yummiesttag

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
I have a fx-8350 stock clocks and I don't plan to overclock but do you guys think it will be able to handle the 1070 or would it bottle neck?

Solution
Turned into an and/Intel flame war again.the op was not talking about buying an 8350 & a 1070 .
He ALREADY owns an fx 8350 setup.
Yummiesttag - If you want to buy a 1070 then buy one .
You won't get the absolute maximum use out of it with an fx chip but that doesn't mean its not a viable purchase.
It'll offer you future proofing on the GPU front irregardless & allow you to play any game on max graphical settings.Who cares if you're not pushing 100fps+ if you're running a 60htz screen , the 8350 is still entirely capable of pushing perfectly playable frame rates on any title out there.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the game. In modern cpu heavy titles I would say yes definitely expect a bottleneck. It is a 4 year old cpu after all, that's quite old in the world of tech im surprised it still does as good as it does. Personally I would not pair a pascel card with any fx cpu.

No one knows anything about Zen yet, except that AMD is promising huge gains.

Right now - an i5-64/6500 and H170 board would be fine. Or 6600k/Z170 if you want overclocking capabilities.

I like to go team Red, but I haven't seen any performance benchmarks for Zen so I can't recommend it. I would recommend the following:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QqxHnQ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QqxHnQ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.45 @ Amazon)
Total: $470.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-10 12:01 EDT-0400

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Depends on the game, especially since you have to realize that "lower performance than an Intel chip" <> "the FX is bottlenecking the GPU". Note, for example, that while the new DOOM says that the FX-8320 is the "minimum" AMD chip you'll need, they're only recommending the FX-8350, which is the same chip but with slightly higher base & turbo core clocks (http://www.techspot.com/news/64724-doom-recommended-pc-specs-launch-trailer-revealed.html). Remember, a "bottleneck" <> "chip B has lower performance than chip A", "bottleneck" = "the CPU is literally working as fast as it possibly can (95-100% usage), but the GPU isn't even breaking a sweat (30-40% or lower usage)".

That being said, the better questions are a) what your current hardware is, b) what games you're currently playing or planning to play in the near future, c) what resolution you're currently playing at (& if you're planning on replacing the monitor to go to a higher resolution), & d) what the rest of your hardware is. That way, if there is a potential problem that not only affects your current build but any future GPU, it can be identified & dealt with (i.e. shortage of RAM, insufficient PSU headroom/quality, etc.). Not to mention that tweaking an existing build, even combined with a new GPU purchase, can save you some cash over starting from scratch.

And I would be really hesitant to recommend a Haswell-based build at this point. Yes, I know they're still good -- as you can see from DOOM, those developers are claiming a minimum of a Sandy Bridge Intel CPU (i.e. 2 generations prior to Haswell), & only recommending an Ivy Bridge or better (i.e. 1 generation prior to Haswell) -- but the same complaint about age can be made about Haswell chips: they're old (we're just 1 month shy of their 3-year anniversary), their socket is no longer supported (LGA 1150 being as "dead" as AMD's AM3+), & the Skylake chips provide superior performance for about the same price (about $10-50 more per CPU, depending on if you want an i3, i5 or i7). Not to mention that unless you're actually suffering from some real problems now -- actual "unplayable" FPS in your games, consistent BSODs/restarts, slow load/startup times, etc. -- there's not much point in spending a lot of money just to get "bragging rights".

jotabe1984

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
its kind of sad how everybody tells Fx8350 will bottleneck GTX1070 while no one has used the card and there are 0, yes, ZERO reviews out there. Just the Nvidia advertise.

First lets start by the beginning. An Fx8350 can currently handle 2x GTX980 in SLI config. and that kind of config are only needed for 4K resolution or VR.

The funny thing is that while the resolution gets bigger and bigger, the CPU becomes less important, and above that the new games are using more and more cores, so the FX8350 its aging quite well.
In fact, an Fx8350 at 1080p paired with a single GTX 970 will do worst than if you pair it with a 2xGTX980 SLI at 4K. and that's because the greater resolution demands more GPU horsepower and the CPU can keep up with the instructions.

well, from what's adversited by Nvidia a GTX1070 will be about the same as 2x980 SLI... from what i think the major bottleneck will be the PCI-e 2.0 that i don't know if its suited to handle this new generations of cards without bottleneck.

If you have a 4k monitor its quite more reasonable to buy a single GTX1070 (compared with 2 GTX980) and keep your Fx8350 for a while (mainly if you already have your rig w/16gb or more of Ram). But be aware that 4.4/4.6 ghz overclock will help.
If you do not have a 4K monitor the recently past gen's 970 and 980 will serve u just fine for 1080 and 1440 ULTRA/60fps

jeffredo

Distinguished

Its pretty easy to extrapolate when numerous people have used an FX 8 core with a GTX 970 and know it bottlenecks it @ 1080p or 1440p.... including myself.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

The CPU doesn't become less important at 4k, its just that the load on the GPU increases due to there being more to render.

If CPUs became less important as resolutions got higher we would all still be using Core 2 Duos just fine ;)

jotabe1984

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
yea yea, since i'm the AMD fanboy that can't understand anything except having an peasant CPU and bla bla bla

i will just back what im saying by posting a GTX980 SLI config comparison between Fx8350 and i7 4770k

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/58/core-i7-4770k-vs-amd-fx-8350-with-gtx-980-vs-gtx-780-sli-at-4k/index.html

If a 2 way GTX 980 SLI is not getting bottlenecked (and also got about the same FPS as the i7 4770k in those bench and games) i don't think the GTX 1070 will be

if someone does not want to believe that website... OK... maybe, it just took me about 2 secs to google "Fx8350 4k gaming" but i think its too much compared to what some people researched their answers

what about single card bottleneck (up to previous GTX-970/980 R9-380/390 gen cards) by Fx8350? No way

to back what i think lets see some benchmarks:

(so... 970 bottleneck huh? well..)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oc93FeEXho

(a gtx980 TI in depth review at 1080p with 4.5ghz OC for the CPU, no bottleneck at all)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8XK1y_jVhc

(in this case a little 4.6ghz overclock and 4K gaming)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCOpbYk-giA

too bad there is no video with GTX 980 in SLI, but this kind of show that there is no bottleneck with any of those GPUs in single card config.

And for the record, i do think that Intels are better, i'm not stupid... im just saying that Fx8350 its mostly capable of handle that Card. At his limit maybe, yes, but it can and that is the real fact, not the fanboyism talking

Haswell is a dead platform, however that's pretty much true of any intel platform the moment it's released. They only accommodate 2 cpu generations, one being a tick the other a tock. Recently there have been 3 technically if you count the refresh cpu models. One cpu model is a performance bump (skylake), the following if it's a refresh will have minor improvements and possibly small speed increases and the 7th gen cpu's will likely be nothing more than an efficiency bump.

There's only slight improvement from 2nd gen to 6th gen intel cpu's (real world noticeable) and none of intel's boards are supporting 4 gens worth of cpu's anymore. The difference between one gen and the next is so small it's not worth the 5-10min to swap a 4th gen for 5th gen, 6th for 7th etc. By the time something comes out after 7th gen (1 beyond current skylake) it will be on yet another new chipset requiring a new motherboard. Meaning the socket for intel is technically 'dead' when it's released, plan on buying cpu's and mobo's as a combo. They just don't last for 3, 4, 5 gens worth of cpu's anymore.

Speculation for what it's worth is that best case scenario for zen's performance will be comparable to haswell. So if zen=haswell and haswell is 'dead', zen isn't even here yet, what does that say for zen? It's dead before it even launches? Either that or haswell isn't dead.

Either wait for zen toward the end of the year (around 5-6mo from now) or go intel at this point. Or keep the 8350 and accept the performance it gives. A 1070 may allow you to turn up the eye candy a little depending what gpu you currently have, it may allow for slightly higher AA and that sort of thing on games.

It won't be a magic pill for the cpu if the cpu is maxed out and killing fps, as RobCrezz pointed out higher resolutions require more gpu horsepower - but it doesn't make the cpu less important by any means and the cpu is responsible for keeping the gpu fed with data. A faster more powerful gpu needs to be kept fed with data in order to get the most out of it. Not saying amd are 'peasant' cpu's but people have to be realistic. Cpu's are priced competitively, if the 'upper end' amd cpu's are priced around the mid/entry level intel cpu's there is a reason for it. It's not fair/realistic to expect a significantly less expensive, less powerful cpu to run as well as a higher priced higher performing model.

From the looks of those results of the 980 sli setups, I'd say the gpu's were the bottleneck for the most part. Keeping in mind that sli doesn't scale perfectly, twice the gpu's don't give twice the graphics performance and vram doesn't stack. It's also important to look at the min fps, not just the averages. Even though fps averages seemed similar in many cases on the tweaktown tests, best case the fx 8xxx was only 5fps or so lower than the i7.

On games like dirt there's a 10fps advantage to intel, batman showed a 15fps advantage to intel and that can have an impact on how smooth the game plays. Averages mean for the most part those particular games should run similar but the reality is with min fps dips that much lower it will show up in certain areas and may seem to lag/stutter on the amd system.

Not all games are the same, not all games demand a top end cpu to run well. Then again I can game just beautifully using a low end low cost a4 apu if all I wanted to play was solitaire or minesweeper. A stronger cpu will run a wider variety of games better than a mid tier cpu will. Some people play only one or two games while others don't want to be limited to which titles will run well if they play a lot of different games. The right cpu is the one that fits your personal needs.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
Depends completely on the game & how it's coded. Fallout 4 is just one example. From the same site:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1096-star-wars-battlefront-benchmarks/page3.html: The FX-83xx chips not only compare quite closely with Intel's Core i5 chips (Sandy Bridge through Haswell), but also come higher than the Skylake i3.

http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html: Although not quite as pronounced, again you see an FX-8350 turn in similar performance to a Core i5, while performing better than an i3.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-the-witcher-3-benchmarks/page5.html: Again, although not quite as fast as the Core i5, the FX-8350 is still faster than the i3 in The Witcher III.

http://www.techspot.com/review/1173-doom-benchmarks/page5.html: The i3 may technically beat out the FX-8370 processor, but both are able to provide 120+FPS. And at that level, the measly 5-7FPS lead the i3s have over the FX chip aren't exactly significant when you consider both sets are only 10-15% back from the i7s and you'll only see the difference if your monitor's refresh rate is above 120Hz. On a 60Hz or 75Hz monitor, you will see no difference between them.

It all comes down to how they code the games. If they're just coded from a "brute-force" perspective, relying more on the efficiency of a single-core, then Intel's chips will come out ahead. But if they're coded to take advantage of additional cores, then that's where you not only see AMD's chips start approaching (if not matching) Intel's performance at the same CPU tiers, but you also see the i5 & i7 chips outperforming higher-clocked i3 chips (because splitting your physical resources to create a 2nd set of "virtual" cores isn't as efficient as having physical cores). I'm sure there are also special instruction sets that are not only shared between both manufacturers but are also exclusive to them, similar to the older sets like MMX, SSE, 3DNow!, etc. Programmers could take advantage of them to help make the CPU utilization more effective, & could probably code in such a way that the games could detect which CPU type is in place & take advantage of them as needed...but that would mean taking more time & exercising more care in their programming, something which all too often recently (especially in the "console-to-PC ports") has been sorely lacking.

It's showcased & explained pretty well in this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/processor-architecture-benchmark,2974.html

Yes, it's an older article (as it compares AMD's Phenom II chips to Intel's Sandy Bridge chips), but the principles still apply: Intel's focus is on more powerful, more efficient cores, relying on HyperThreaded "virtual cores" for their lower-end dual-core chips, & using the same technique to turn their quad-core i5 chips into octa-core i7 chips; AMD's cores aren't as efficient as Intel's chips, but they package more physical cores into their chips as well as selling them for cheaper.

tokrjokr

Commendable
May 18, 2016

fx8350 is a great cpu. I have a stock 8350 and it games about the same as my friends overclocked i5. Better yet, my 8350 beats him when gaming and streaming at the same time. I downloaded an application called process lasso which automatically balances my 8cores. Don't listen to the intel fanboys; they are only trying to justify the fact that they spend 3x more for a minor improvement. The fx8350 will run the 1070 just fine.
Infact it runs an OC Titan X about 5-10 less fps than an overpriced intel. Is 5-10 fps worth 3x as much money? Also if you plan on streaming the 8350 will do much better than any i5.
proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ_5p9wd2dk

edit: forgot to mention that dx12 will take advantage of multiple cores thus lowering the gap.

ps: I love the down votes.. haters gonna hate... You know your only lying to yourself

tokrjokr

Commendable
May 18, 2016

If it bottlenecks in SOME games and not others ... wouldn't that mean that the games coding cant take advantage of the multiple cores? Seems to me that the game itself is the bottleneck. l2code

Most games don't take advantage of all the cores the fx 8xxx offers. It's apparent when an i3 often matches an fx 8xxx, or even when an fx 8350 for example manages to match 'even an i5' in some games. Keep in mind the fx is an 8 core cpu, the i3 is a dual core, the i5 and i7 are both only quad cores. The additional cores of the fx 8xxx are offering diddly in games.

If gaming and streaming then yes, the additional cores will be an advantage over an i3 or i5. It won't improve gameplay any, it will just allow easier streaming of the gameplay the fx 8xxx can provide.

Dx12 doesn't automatically turn an 8 core cpu into a beast, it reduces the workload of the cpu which is something amd can always benefit from to help offset their weaker core performance. It offers a more direct path to the gpu so the cpu isn't having to handle the game physics AND translate everything via the drivers to the gpu for the graphics side of things. Dx12 is also realizing about the same kind of real world introduction as 64bit processing. We finally got win10 and then what? We're still waiting on all those dx12 games to materialize. Current games will still be dx11.

In terms of intel being 3x more money for a minor improvement, that's a typical fanboy comment. An i5 6600 can be had for $220, the 6600k can be had for $240. Right now the fx 8350 is much cheaper at around $150 though that's due to prices tanking again. It's normally around $170-185.

In gtaV for example, the 4th gen i3 pretty much matched the fx 8350 and came close to the best case scenario for amd, the 9590. 2nd gen i5's outperformed amd's best cpu's much less 4th or 6th gen. That was tested with a gtx titan x.
http://www.techspot.com/review/991-gta-5-pc-benchmarks/page6.html

So similar performance in that game (within 4fps) was achieved with an i3 costing $120 vs the $150 fx 8350. A slightly faster i3 4160 can be had for $120 shipped. That doesn't make intel 3x the price, if anything it makes intel the better bargain. Just because one is a dual core i3 and the other an 8 core fx 8350, if they game similarly and the i3 costs less then intel has the advantage. The i5's and i7's are just the cherry on top at that point. People don't seem to realize that the cpu's are priced according to their performance levels and have to remain competitive to sell like any other product.

Yes an i3 performs a bit less than the 8350 in games like witcher3, and it should. It has 1/4th the cores and costs $30 less even with the fx 8350 heavily discounted. Add $30-40 to an fx 8350 and that gives you $190, the price range of an i5 6500 which suffers from less fps dips/drops than the fx 8350 does. It's all relative. Performance - i3 > fx 8350 > i5, price, i3, fx 8350, i5 .. and in roughly the same price increases, $30-40 per jump. To say the extra $30-40 over an i3 is worth it for amd but then turn around and say it's not worth it for the i5 is fanboyism at its finest.

Looking at those techspot benchmarks for witcher 3, yes the fx 8350 has a slight advantage. The 8350 gives 3fps higher min fps and 5fps higher average fps. A 4th gen i5 (much less 6th gen) offers 10fps better min fps than the 8350 and 8fps higher average fps than the fx 8350. In this game, going from i3 to fx to i5 at $30-40 price increases, amd's price premium offers 3fps/5fps min/avg over the i3 while the i5's same price premium over amd offers 10fps/8fps min/avg. Amd is still the better 'value'? I think that depends on how someone wishes to spin it.

Spdragoo is right, in some games the fps is so high it likely won't be noticeable one way or the other. The testing eurogamer did on a game like gta 5 did show a difference. The i5's averaging over 60fps and the fx 8350 averaging below 50fps. That will show up on a 60hz panel. In shadows of mordor, on a 60hz panel will it matter? Probably not, what if someone's on a 120hz panel? The 8350 averages over 30fps slower than the i5's and drops it to 100fps while the i5's easily manage fps to 130.

It will essentially come down to what hardware a particular person is using and what games they want to run at what levels of performance. If the 8350 is bottlenecking a gpu it's about as much fault the games not being multicore encoded as it is amd being weak on core performance. Assuming the bottleneck is compared to i5/i7 which are quad core cpu's, half the processing cores.

Games need to learn to code because amd can't figure out how to get horsepower from the cores they have? Sounds like complaining that game encoding isn't specialized to try and make up for amd's weak performance. If quad core cpu's are performing just fine I don't think it's a coding issue. Most games don't use more than a few cores and they shouldn't have to bloat themselves up and be rewritten just because a hardware manufacturer can't sort it out. Since hardly any games can take advantage of more than a few cores the reason for the bottlenecking comes from variation in games. Some are just more cpu heavy than others. They're more advanced and have more going on than just solitaire's physics.

Jose Cardozo

Honorable
Feb 27, 2015

lol wat?

just unoptimized games per instrucción "runs" geat on intel, like GTA V

CPU_01.png

CPU_01.png

58m7l.jpg

this is the example what will happen

the 1070 probably runs very well on a fx 8000 overclocked in new games DX12, and so.

tokrjokr

Commendable
May 18, 2016

Biggest wall of bs text written. Just because you write a novel doesnt mean you know what your talking about. To even compare an i3 to a 8350 just shows how clueless you really are. Please take the time to respond with another giant wall so you can keep proving your ignorance.

tokrjokr

Commendable
May 18, 2016
@op.. Your 8350 will run a 1070 just fine. If you want to blow a bunch of money on a new rig then go ahead. You will get minimal gains over what you currently have. My recomendation is buy a 1070 and upgrade to new pc in 3 years when an upgrade is actually warrented. You will want a hbm2 video card and maybe cpu technology will be worth it. At best now you will get 10% more from a new cpu. If that is worth shelling out over 1k then be my guest.