FX8320 Multiplier Changing Under Load

19Andrew

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Hi,

Overclocked my CPU to 4.8GHz @ 1.5V.
When I run Prime95 the CPU multiplier (According to CPU-Z) is constantly changing (BTW ran Prime95 for 15-20mins on small FFT and none of the cores stopped).

I've disabled things like Cool'n'quiet, C1 and C6 state.

Is there anyway to get this changed to a constant multiplier or does this just happen under load?

Thanks

Specs:
AMD FX-8320
GTX 770
Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 (8+2 phase)
4GB DDR3 Crucial Tracer RAM

Solution
If it's still doing it with 58c as your max temp and no thermal throttling going on it could be an overlooked BIOS setting.

LLC (Load Line Calibration) is what combats vdroop when the CPU is under load (voltage dropping as it is stressed).
APM (Application Power Management) could also be causing it along with needing to enable HPC (High Performance Computing).

1st try it with APM disabled, if it carries on try turning on HPC, if the voltage is still lowering the clock speed (although with those disabled and enabled it shouldn't) you will need to find a level of LLC that keeps it stable.

Just be careful about adding any more voltage as you're already at 1.5V and that's pretty high as it is, I don't think your cooler would manage much...

Soulage

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
Going to need more info to determine why it's changing.

To start with since you didn't list one please tell me you are not using the stock cooler?
What changes did you make exactly in BIOS?
Can you post some screen shots of monitoring software such as HWMonitor/HWInfo with all the CPU bits open under load?
Just incase, what PSU are you using?

19Andrew

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

I am planning on getting another 4gigs but as of this minute im using a 32bit OS. I am going to be upgrading to 64bit when windows 10 comes around.

19Andrew

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

Cooler is a H80 in pull.
I changed the multiplier from 17.50 (stock) to 24.00 (OC). Voltage up by +0.100V. Also increased voltage on DRAM from 1.5V to 1.515V
PSU is a Xigmatek Tauro 700W 80+ Bronze.

I will try and get some screen shots for you.

darkmendez

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
you can doubt me if you like......but RAM and also the motherboard plays a bigger role than you think. If u are using a 64-bit operating system, you are putting stress your PC big time! I'm using FX-8350, 32GB of RAM, GTX 970(Small version), 3TB Hard Drive, 850 Watt with 75Amps PSU.

19Andrew

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

Ok, im still fairly new to building a PC and Overclocking but I will do that if anything else doesn't fix it. Thanks

All FX CPU's have a built in thermal throttle, if the cpu temp exceeds 65 degrees, it throttles back. That is real possibility if running Prime95, what are your temp readings like?

19Andrew

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

Yes its going just over at 68*C. I would bring up screen shots but im not sure how to.
Ill try backing off the voltage just a touch.

Yeah that's your issue then. You may also need to improve airflow in your case- a couple of case fans can work wonders. As a stop gap you can also try running with the sides off the case (if that fixes it airflow is what you need).

19Andrew

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

I will go and try and get some more fans to improve the temps, any suggestions on a decent set? I have a corsair carbide 300R case so 120mm and 140mm are my only size options.

19Andrew

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Ok, was about to reduce voltage but then I realized that I could turn my fan speed up, it was on the first silent setting on the H80 controller, did that and its gone to 58*C max temp, but still same problem. However I have noticed that under load the Core Voltage fluctuates and in tandem with the multiplier.
The voltage then remains constant at idle along with the multiplier.

Soulage

Reputable
Apr 14, 2015
If it's still doing it with 58c as your max temp and no thermal throttling going on it could be an overlooked BIOS setting.

LLC (Load Line Calibration) is what combats vdroop when the CPU is under load (voltage dropping as it is stressed).
APM (Application Power Management) could also be causing it along with needing to enable HPC (High Performance Computing).

1st try it with APM disabled, if it carries on try turning on HPC, if the voltage is still lowering the clock speed (although with those disabled and enabled it shouldn't) you will need to find a level of LLC that keeps it stable.

Just be careful about adding any more voltage as you're already at 1.5V and that's pretty high as it is, I don't think your cooler would manage much more and then the thermal throttling would kick in again. You could still try dialing back the voltage in steps to see if you can remain stable at 4.8 on a lower amount.

Solution

19Andrew

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

Thanks I will give this a shot now! :)