[SOLVED] G.Skill RipJaw DDR3 X-2400 16GB (8x2) 11-13-13-31 speed -- boot errors

May 27, 2020
Hi there.

I'm having issues related to booting and rebooting Windows when I try to manually adjust my DRAM timings.
I am currently using four G.Skill Ripjaw X DDR3-2400 8GB sticks.
The timing profiles are 11-13-13-31.

In BIOS, everything runs fine in "Auto Mode", but with "Auto Mode" my DRAM Frequency sets itself between 1333Mhz and 1600Mhz.
In most cases, these frequency changes aren't very noticeable; but for the game(s) I am trying to run, they are.
With that said, I upgraded to the 2400 Mhz sticks so that I could run my ram at 2400 Mhz - not at its automated settings of 1333 - 1600 Mhz.

If I manually attempt to set my timing profile to 11-13-13-31, save, and then boot -- it results in an endless black/blank screen.
If I use a preloaded DOCP timings profile, it will load to Windows (eventually) but if I attempt to reboot Windows -- I get an endless black/blank screen again.

Mobo: M5A97 LE R2.0
note: I read on another website that the max DRAM frequency for this mobo is 2133Mhz, however, I cannot find this in the mobo's manual. if this were true, why can I successfully boot into Windows at full 2400Mhz using the preloaded DOCP timings profile? I do have partial success loading into windows at 2400 Mhz, but rebooting becomes an issue after a successful boot. I would really like to fix this endless blank-screen that happens when I attempt to reboot.

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw X DDR3-2400 (11-13-13-31)

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition
note: I can't OC my CPU without proper DRAM timings. I'm having issues setting my timings and voltage settings before even messing with CPU overclocking. Presently, just looking for a stable way to boot windows at the full 2400Mhz DRAM frequency my sticks are specc'd to.

BIOS: AMI 2701
note: pretty straight forward asus bios, fully up to date.

GPU: EVGA NVidia gtx 1070

Power Supply: 650 watts
note: Included power supply spec because maybe my power supply is inadequate? but I can't find any guides that say how big of a power supply I should be using for my setup.

I have tried looking over the Mobo manual several times but nothing in the manual that I can find suggests that I am doing anything wrong.

I've been searching the web for a couple of days now and seem to have read and tried every solution except for the one that works. Would appreciate any ideas or hints to get this working properly!

Last edited:
Solution
You wrote, I read on another website that the max DRAM frequency for this mobo is 2133MHz and your just looking for a stable way to boot windows at the full 2400Mhz DRAM frequency my sticks are specc'd to.

Unfortunately, the maximum official supported memory speed for FX CPU is:
1600MHz with 2DIMMs per channel
1866MHz with 1 DIMM per channel
Anything higher requires overclocking the system and I would not recommend that on the cheap LE mobo.
You wrote, I read on another website that the max DRAM frequency for this mobo is 2133MHz and your just looking for a stable way to boot windows at the full 2400Mhz DRAM frequency my sticks are specc'd to.

Unfortunately, the maximum official supported memory speed for FX CPU is:
1600MHz with 2DIMMs per channel
1866MHz with 1 DIMM per channel
Anything higher requires overclocking the system and I would not recommend that on the cheap LE mobo.

Solution
From my own testing with a DDR3 2400 kit, stable at 2133 with my i7 2600K oc'ed, I saw no more than 5-7fps difference over 1600 in Assassins Creed Origin. So you are unlikely to gain more than around 5-10fps with 2400 vs 1600 depending on the games you play. Most games don't really benefit from faster memory other than loading times.

TRENDING THREADS