G.Skill Unleashes 3400 MHz DDR4 Ripjaws 4 Memory Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
"3400mhz at 16CL hows that any better than 1800mhz at 8CL? "

It depends, its slower in some workloads, and faster in others. Random access would be better on that 1800 cl8, sequential would be faster on the 3400.

I personally don't really care for the sidegrades, new sockets, new architecture, with no compatibility, when its only a sidegrade. no thanks.

Im all for new tech that is faster in all areas tho. I wish ddr4 fell into that category, but currently it does not.

G

DDR4 is really uninteresting right now. I bought 32GB of DDR3 ram 3 years ago for 132$, including shipping. Show me any benchmark that shows more than 3% improvement at any task than this kit. Which costs WAY more, for less capacity.

DDR4 right now means more expensive, and less performance. Random access is more important in ram, espescially with SSDs. Because how often do you need to load 500+MB/s? Usually it's random calculations which are the bottleneck, so all the data is available, but it has to be randomly shiffed around. Ram price/performance is a scam these days.

hotwire_downunder

Reputable
May 7, 2014
man! kids now-a-days are spoiled silly... I remeber when EDO RAM first came out.. blistering fast.. run it with a 486 DX4 and it was more muscle than any software of that day could use up :)

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
well im not sure its enough, my old ddr3 are running 2200Mhz at cl 9,
But they are only in dual channel if you put the new 3200Mhz in quad channel it will get you some creazy speeds. i would love for some one to get a set and over clock them 3500 "should work" get the new intel Graphics 5200 cpu and clock the living **** out of it, then run a set of these 16GB 3500Mhz quad channel ram. ofc only for fun and to see the poor intel gpu sweat : b

Quad channel theoretically has twice the bandwidth of dual channel. Same reason why you notice a huge difference between single and dual, the number of channels is doubled, therefore you can get double the bandwidth.

25.6GB/s vs. 51.2GB/s @ DDR3-1600

34GB/s vs. 68GB/s @ DDR3-2133 or DDR4-2133

For Intel K and X series CPUs that can support high DRAM frequencies, memory bandwidth can be greatly enhanced and that is ideal for those that do high performance gaming or professional work that may be very graphic or processing intensive so it benefits from higher overall bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.