[SOLVED] G-sync problem

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, I'm in this situation currently:

Bought new monitor - Dell S2721D. It's a freesync monitor, but people say that they made it work with G-sync without problems. I tried it too, but somehow G-sync clearly didn't work. Someone mentioned on forums that he used Display Port 1.4 interface version and worked with this monitor. Most likely my Display Port cable is older version. I can't buy new cable right now, but I want to know if it's possible that G-sync isn't working on my new monitor because of old version of Display Port?

Solution
List pc specs please and explain what you're experiencing to determine Gsync isn't working.

Did you enable Freesync in the monitor menu first?

Displayport version is to do with the port, not the cable. Long as cable is HBR2 or 3 then it'll work with Displayport port versions 1.2 & 1.4 and is backwards compatible between devices ~ monitor and gpu.

If frame rate is capable of exceeding Freesync/Gsync range (over refresh rate), then you'll need to either cap frame rate yourself or use Vsync. Freesync/Gsync doesn't do the capping for you so If fps can go over then Freesync/Gsync will be disabled.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
List pc specs please and explain what you're experiencing to determine Gsync isn't working.

Did you enable Freesync in the monitor menu first?

Displayport version is to do with the port, not the cable. Long as cable is HBR2 or 3 then it'll work with Displayport port versions 1.2 & 1.4 and is backwards compatible between devices ~ monitor and gpu.

If frame rate is capable of exceeding Freesync/Gsync range (over refresh rate), then you'll need to either cap frame rate yourself or use Vsync. Freesync/Gsync doesn't do the capping for you so If fps can go over then Freesync/Gsync will be disabled.

Solution

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Never mind, I already figured things out. Seems like G-sync was working (checked settings in my monitor OSD and refresh rate was fluctuating), however I'm not impressed by this overhyped G-sync/Freesync technology, so I disabled it and will be used old good V-sync.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Gsync/Freesync shows frames when they happen. Vsync is delayed and causes input lag. Limiting frame rate -1 below refresh helps with that but in my experience id rather Gsync.

It is possible to expand Freesync range with custom resolution utility if your hardware is capable of more.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Gsync/Freesync shows frames when they happen. Vsync is delayed and causes input lag. Limiting frame rate -1 below refresh helps with that but in my experience id rather Gsync.

It is possible to expand Freesync range with custom resolution utility if your hardware is capable of more.
I didn't see any difference to be honest and I don't feel that small input lag caused by Vsync as others say. What matters is fps. If fps is over 60 it already feels like butter with or without G-sync and if I get 40 fps game it still feels horrible with and without G-sync, well at least how I felt when testing. So, I think this G-sync/Freesync are just a pure overhyped marketing thing. Right now I'm playing Dirt 3 with V-sync on where 75 fps is capped on the monitor and it feels very smooth. No input lag or whatever as some folks claim. Well at least, it's not noticeable for me