GA-M57SLI-S4 - Bad SATA controller?

DigitallyBorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I have 2 500GB hard drives, one with Windows XP, the other with Windows Vista. Both drives (when plugged in stand alone using different SATA cables into different SATA ports) exhibit the same symptoms.

Windows, after a short time after boot, will experience a "drive freeze" where all hard drive activity completely stops (drive is not spinning at all). Windows is still functional, in that any applications already loaded continue to function, but any task requiring disk activity will not operate, instead will freeze.

Ever since I built this computer I've had occasional issues, but this is the first time I've been able to eliminate bad drives and windows issues as the cause and it's never been this bad. It started this bad a few days ago. It has also frozen during a low-level virus scan which was performed without windows (at boot).

Does this sound like it could be a bad SATA controller? Any insight and/or advice you could give me to help identify/repair the issue would be most appreciated.

danv7191

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I have exactly the same problem - except worse. It stopped recognising my second hard drive altogether and now just plain crashes. You managed to solve you problem, or did you bite the bullet and get a new MB?