[SOLVED] GA-X48T-DQ6 - Memory Issue (VERY OLD MOTHERBOARD) ?

Dec 2, 2020
I have a old computer with a GIGABYTE GA-X48T-DQ6 motherboard. I used to run 2x2gb RAM sticks in it before one stopped working. So I decided to go 8gb RAM since the motherboard supports it. However when I installed my new memory which is of the same speed as the old one BIOS only detects 256mb of RAM from each stick but in windows it shows up as 8GB (1GB USABLE).

New memory is: Kingston KVR13N9S6/2 2GB 1Rx16 256M x 64-Bit PC3-10600 CL9 240-Pin DIMM

SIDE NOTE: If I use only 1 of the old sticks it shows up as 2GB which makes me wonder what can be wrong ?

Any crazy idea is welcome!

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

On this rare occasion I'd have suggested you to look through the QVL and source rams that the board is known to support. True you could drop in any ram so long as the sticks conform to the slots of the board but the X48 platform and the platforms prior to the Intel Core i series were trouble to work with when dealing with just about any ram out there.

What BISO version are you currently on and check to see what gigabyte has on it's support site. If you have updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest version. Also, what OS are you working with?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

On this rare occasion I'd have suggested you to look through the QVL and source rams that the board is known to support. True you could drop in any ram so long as the sticks conform to the slots of the board but the X48 platform and the platforms prior to the Intel Core i series were trouble to work with when dealing with just about any ram out there.

What BISO version are you currently on and check to see what gigabyte has on it's support site. If you have updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest version. Also, what OS are you working with?

Solution