Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2021
hello, I bought western digital sn550 1TB nvme SSD. it's my 1st nvme drive. I installed it on my pc but games are crashing continuously, and after crashing, SSD becomes unrecognizable and gives disk write error, but restarting the pc solves the error, and nvme start working like normal. SSD has been passed all the SSD benchmarks with no issue in writing or reading and stress testing. but whenever I start a game, suddenly or after ~20 minutes, crashing again. so I sent back the SSD and replaced it with a new WD sn550. but the same things are happened with this SSD too. my Games are not crashing on other drives I have. I don't know what is the problem.
please do help.
my pc configuration :
intel core i7 8700k ( currently stock settings )
gigabyte Z370 Aorus gaming 5 ( F15b - latest bios )
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X trio ( currently stock settings )
Corsair CS 750M PSU
G.Skill Triden Z 16gb RAM
WD Blue 250 GB M.2 SATA SSD ( windows drive )
WD Black 1 TB SATA disk drive
Seagate 2 TB SSHD SATA disk drive
WD 1 TB nvme SSD
windows 10 pro build 19043 ( UEFI )

Last edited:
Solution
... is there any issue with my motherboard? It's z370 chipset, does it support 1 TB ?
It could be possible.
I have encountered issues with NVMe SSD not working with a motherboard model but working just fine on another model.
It could be something as simple as changing the sleeps state in the BIOS or it could be just incompatible.
A disk go to sleep when not bee access then it might not respond to wake up calls causing games an apps to crash.
If that's the issue, changing the sleep state might solve it.
I see that you have several drives, do you mind elaborating more about the steps taken to transfer games into the NVMe SSD.
Are all games crashing?
Are they Origin or Steam games or both?

The only info provided is that "I installed it on my pc but games are crashing"

Sep 21, 2021
I see that you have several drives, do you mind elaborating more about the steps taken to transfer games into the NVMe SSD.
Are all games crashing?
Are they Origin or Steam games or both?

The only info provided is that "I installed it on my pc but games are crashing"
i unplugged both disk drives, no solution.
i clean installed the games from xbox game pass, steam and battle net onto the nvme and still games are crashing due to disk error or failure. my brother has the same disk and he didn't face any issue.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021
I don't know if you are aware but PCIe lanes might be shared.
M.2 slot might share bandwidth with with some SATA ports and/or PCIe slots.

Do you know which M.2 slots are sharing bandwidth with SATA ports or PCIe slots.
i m aware of PCIe lanes and bandwidth sharing, I read the motherboard manual before installing all the drives. so none of my SATA or pcie sharing any bandwidth. is there any issue with my motherboard? It's z370 chipset, does it support 1 TB ?

Last edited:
... is there any issue with my motherboard? It's z370 chipset, does it support 1 TB ?
It could be possible.
I have encountered issues with NVMe SSD not working with a motherboard model but working just fine on another model.
It could be something as simple as changing the sleeps state in the BIOS or it could be just incompatible.
A disk go to sleep when not bee access then it might not respond to wake up calls causing games an apps to crash.

Solution
hello, I bought western digital sn550 1TB nvme SSD. it's my 1st nvme drive. I installed it on my pc but games are crashing continuously, and after crashing, SSD becomes unrecognizable and gives disk write error, but restarting the pc solves the error, and nvme start working like normal. SSD has been passed all the SSD benchmarks with no issue in writing or reading and stress testing. but whenever I start a game, suddenly or after ~20 minutes, crashing again. so I sent back the SSD and replaced it with a new WD sn550. but the same things are happened with this SSD too. my Games are not crashing on other drives I have. I don't know what is the problem.
please do help.
my pc configuration :
intel core i7 8700k ( currently stock settings )
gigabyte Z370 Aorus gaming 5 ( F15b - latest bios )
MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X trio ( currently stock settings )
Corsair CS 750M PSU
G.Skill Triden Z 16gb RAM
WD Blue 250 GB M.2 SATA SSD ( windows drive )
WD Black 1 TB SATA disk drive
Seagate 2 TB SSHD SATA disk drive
WD 1 TB nvme SSD
windows 10 pro build 19043 ( UEFI )
Just for yuks.
Open device manager/disk.
Look at the policy setting for the nvme disk.
If write caching is on turn it off....if off turn it on.....test.

Sep 21, 2021
It could be possible.
so i have installed fresh windows 10 on the nvme and removed sata m.2 ssd ( previous windows ssd ). i will test the nvme tomorrow . hope for the best.

Sep 21, 2021
It could be possible.
so i have installed fresh windows 10 on the nvme and removed sata m.2 ssd ( previous windows ssd ). i started a game, played about 15 minutes and its crashed. tried different game, same result. i dont know what to do.

Have you tried updating BIOS to the latest version reflashing the newest BIOS? Have you tried messing with sleepstates as mentioned above in the BIOS options? Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the NVMe. Is it just games that crash on the drive? Have you tried any other non-game programs installed on the disk to see if they crash? Have you tried putting the new drive in the other m.2 drive slot?

Sep 21, 2021
Have you tried updating BIOS to the latest version reflashing the newest BIOS? Have you tried messing with sleepstates as mentioned above in the BIOS options? Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the NVMe. Is it just games that crash on the drive? Have you tried any other non-game programs installed on the disk to see if they crash? Have you tried putting the new drive in the other m.2 drive slot?
I didn't reflash the newest bios again.
I didn't find any ssd sleep-state setting in my bios.
I deep cleaned my SSD before installing OS.
it passed all the benchmarks. no issue in premiere pro and Autodesk Maya and rendering stuff.
i removed all the drives except nvme.
after 20 minutes of gaming, my pc crashed. after that it restarted normally then again I tried gaming, same result. then i swap it with my old m.2 SATA and played 4 hours straight, no issue.
i think z370 not suitable for 1TB nvme ?? or i am missing something?

after 20 minutes of gaming, my pc crashed. after that it restarted normally then again I tried gaming, same result. then i swap it with my old m.2 SATA and played 4 hours straight, no issue.
i think z370 not suitable for 1TB nvme ?? or i am missing something?
That should not happen, I just do not know what's going on. There should be no incompatibilities with that drive and the motherboard that I know of or can find.

Sep 21, 2021
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.