[SOLVED] Game was crashing with XMP then with XMP off crashes stop.

Hankdp26

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Hey guys!

Hoping to find some guidance here.

First off, my specs:

B560M Asus Tuf Gaming Mother Board
Intel Core I7 11700KF (no overclock)
EVGA RTX 3080 (I believe this comes with stock overclock*)
Game (in question) running in a M.2 XPG SSD
32 GB of Corsair Dominator RAM (16 stick each) @3200mhz
2TB WDC SSD (usually where I play most of my games).

Since I first powered my PC on, I enabled the XMP profile, I have not experienced any issues except a couple of times where the screen froze (in completely different games) the graphics looked like in a negative film and the PC rebooted, event viewer marked it as KERNEL error but I cant find it (to paste what event viewer was showing) and it hasn't happened again... hopefully it doesn´t ever.

Well, the game in question is an MMO called Star Wars the Old Republic, the issues experienced:

Random crashes, sometimes after minutes sometimes happens after hours, sometimes doesn't happen at all, but most of the time my game session ends in a crash that has always the same exact characteristics: screen will freeze, background sounds are playing and after a 5-10 seconds game will CTD.

Tested everything hardware wise: clean boot (with clean boot the crashes stop, so I think it is in fact a software issue), update and resintall drivers (every single one), tested memory, temps (while playing swtor) dont go over 60c.

It is registered as an error in Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: swtor.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62704ea2
Faulting module name: swtor.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x62704ea2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00202b05
Faulting process id: 0x284c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d866f966f9ddd8
Faulting application path: C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\RetailClient\swtor.exe
Faulting module path: C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\RetailClient\swtor.exe
Report Id: 8d74b7c2-098d-46ea-862e-4fc81d6e9d8a
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This doesn't happen at all with any other games, both super graphically intense or other old or not demanding games, and I believe there are other people in the game experiencing this issue.

The main purpose of this thread is that to my surprise (and having exhausted every other test) I disabled my XMP, and went into the game, bam, no crashes... been playing smoothly since I disabled my XMP.

So, is this indicative of a hardware problem with the RAM or Mother Board? I never thought XMP would actually cause games to flatline! XMP makes RAM go to their advertised speeds, so I am wondering if this could be something defective in a component (maybe also XMP caused the KERNEL error mentioned in the first line??)

Any ideas, guidance, help wouldn be so much appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
Hello! Thank you for replying.

I bought the rig from a specialized vendor and yup, its a sigle Corsair Dominator Pack of 32GB (16GBx2) CMT32GX4M2C3200C16.

They are currently in Dual Channel and everything
I agree with the above -- Make sure you BIOS is current.
And run a multi-hour test with MEMTEST
Start with XPM enabled and run MEMTEST. If it fails then run MEMTEST without XMP just to be sure.

kanewolf

Titan
Hey guys!

First off, my specs:

Since I first powered my PC on, I enabled the XMP profile, I have not experienced any issues except a couple of times where the screen froze (in completely different games) the graphics looked like in a negative film and the PC rebooted, event viewer marked it as KERNEL error but I can find it (to paste what event viewer was showing) and it hasn't happened again... hopefully it doesn´t ever.

Well, the game in question is an MMO called Star Wars the Old Republic, the issues experienced:

Random crashes, sometimes after minutes sometimes happens after hours, sometimes doesn't happen at all, but most of the time my game session ends in a crash that has always the same exact characteristics: screen will freeze, background sounds are playing and after a 5-10 seconds game will CTD.

Tested everything hardware wise: clean boot (with clean boot the crashes stop, so I think it is in fact a software issue), update and resintall drivers (every single one), tested memory, temps (while playing swtor) dont go over 60c.

Faulting application path: C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\RetailClient\swtor.exe
Faulting module path: C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\RetailClient\swtor.exe

This doesn't happen at all with any other games, both super graphically intense or other old or not demanding games, and I believe there are other people in the game experiencing this issue.

The main purpose of this thread is that to my surprise (and having exhausted every other test) I disabled my XMP, and went into the game, bam, no crashes... been playing smoothly since I disabled my XMP.

So, is this indicative of a hardware problem with the RAM or Mother Board? I never thought XMP would actually cause games to flatline! XMP makes RAM go to their advertised speeds, so I am wondering if this could be something defective in a component (maybe also XMP caused the KERNEL error mentioned in the first line??)

Thank you!
Was this RAM purchased as a matched set ?

Hey guys!

First off, my specs:

Since I first powered my PC on, I enabled the XMP profile, I have not experienced any issues except a couple of times where the screen froze (in completely different games) the graphics looked like in a negative film and the PC rebooted, event viewer marked it as KERNEL error but I can find it (to paste what event viewer was showing) and it hasn't happened again... hopefully it doesn´t ever.

Thank you!
Got the proper bios and chipset driver?

Use memtest86 for a starter test it must run error free.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello! Thank you for replying.

I bought the rig from a specialized vendor and yup, its a sigle Corsair Dominator Pack of 32GB (16GBx2) CMT32GX4M2C3200C16.

They are currently in Dual Channel and everything
I agree with the above -- Make sure you BIOS is current.
And run a multi-hour test with MEMTEST
Start with XPM enabled and run MEMTEST. If it fails then run MEMTEST without XMP just to be sure.

Solution

Hankdp26

Reputable
May 27, 2019
Got the proper bios and chipset driver?

Use memtest86 for a starter test it must run error free.
Hey Bob! Ty so much for replying.

Everything chipset drivers seems up to date, nothing from device manager prompts me for update and Windows Update is telling me I am up to date.

However, there is actually a BIOS update available for my MotherB with the following charateristics:

Version 1410
2022/03/11 8.75 MBytes
TUF GAMING B560-PLUS WIFI BIOS 1410
1.Function optimization.

I know how to update BIOS but its always scary to a non-tech savy dude like me, the AI Suite 3 (Asus Software) doesn't actually propts the update of BIOS (from current version 1203), you think its 100% absolutely necessary? Could this be the cause for XMP to be causing problems to one game?

Thank you!

Hey Bob! Ty so much for replying.

Everything chipset drivers seems up to date, nothing from device manager prompts me for update and Windows Update is telling me I am up to date.

However, there is actually a BIOS update available for my MotherB with the following charateristics:

Version 1410
2022/03/11 8.75 MBytes
TUF GAMING B560-PLUS WIFI BIOS 1410
1.Function optimization.

I know how to update BIOS but its always scary to a non-tech savy dude like me, the AI Suite 3 (Asus Software) doesn't actually propts the update of BIOS (from current version 1203), you think its 100% absolutely necessary? Could this be the cause for XMP to be causing problems to one game?

Thank you!
Test with memtest and the current bios.
If it fails update the bios and test again.

TRENDING THREADS