Gamer upgrade, but which one???

G

Hi all, this is my first post to Tomshardware.com, so be cool. I'm pretty computer illiterate but easily teachable.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS R350, w/a PII 350, 128 Mb SDRAM, and a Diamond Viper V770 Ultra 32 mb video card. These are the only upgrades I've made to the original computer.

I want to improve my GAMING!!!! I've talked to some people from the dell forums about this subject and I wanted to get some of your expert advice as well. It is obvious that I need a cpu upgrade. Which one I get will depend on you guys. My mobo can handle an upgrade to a PIII 1 GHz. Some people have been really big on the hard drive/controller card combo upgrade as well. This is pretty new to me. I have a generic 8.4 GB, 5400 rpm, 33 mbs speed drive now. Ancient, I know. Any ways, I want to know what you guys think.

My question is: In order of priorities, what should be my upgrade schedule to improve my gaming??? For example, one guy wrote me and said, 1) CPU, 2) Video card upgrade, and 3)Hard drive/controller card combo. Others are really big on the hard drive/controller card combo upgrade first. What do you guys think???

Thanks for all and any replies.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the video card becomes the weak link once you get to 800 and the 800 solt 1 are much eaiser to find then the 1ghz and they are also cheaper to

what you really want to look at is a good video card