Gamer's Bethesda Job Application is a 25 Hour Skyrim Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

spat55

Distinguished
Gonna check that mod out now, even though I don't like Skyrim much (don't hate me for it). Hope he gets somewhere with that amount of dedication, he deserves to!

spat55

Distinguished
Gonna check that mod out now, even though I don't like Skyrim much (don't hate me for it). Hope he gets somewhere with that amount of dedication, he deserves to!

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Most likely his application was filtered out from software resume parsers. Its a terrible norm with the game industry because of the volume of application received and only a couple companies look at every resume. They also tend to be the best companies, but in this case I don't think any sort of application he would submit would be reviewed considering he is a 19 year old kid with no real background. His best bet is press making an uproar for him so the studio can't ignore him.
If I was a hiring manager at Bethesda I would probably hire him. The most important thing for any new hire is to demonstrate they can match the companies look and feel. There are many talented designers, but not all of them are capable of capturing the feel of Elder Scrolls.

Icecweam7

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Looks like I'll be heading back to Skyrim this weekend. I hope this guy gets something from Bethesda. Something like a scholarship to fine tune his skills and increase his knowledge in creating games.

Diamond in rough... He still needs computer science knowledge to be a better game programmer, so he should still consider at least get into college to get that knowledge and then get into Bethesda.

Cheers!

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I organized everyone involved, but the voice actors themselves recorded all the dialogue and submitted it to me," he told PC Gamer. "I had some people help me out with a few models and textures, someone wrote a book or two for me… But otherwise all content was implemented, written and developed by me

Sounds more like a manager, he told people what to do, they did it, and now he's taking credit for it. On top of that he spent a whole year doing this without having any responsibilities. Sounds like he has a promising future but I'd be a little wary at this point. I would like to see him make it through a college program (design, CS, whatever) to see what kind of maturity he has.

bah and my gaming rig is currently down for routine maintenance, i'd love to check this out. He's got some ok youtube videos, including the full 45 minute in length, original score, but its not the same as jumping into this mod. cant wait to check it out.

If they dont outright hire him, then a scholarship is definitely in order.

First of all, you almost sound like a disgruntled under-achiever. Secondly, I'm a manager and most of the managers like myself started from the ground up and worked our way up. Most of us did NOT start at the top. We have years of experience and the trust of those higher up than us to call the shots (or tell others what to do as you call it). Third, this kid ALREADY gave credit to those who assisted him.

Take that lemon out of your mouth and you may just get further in your life.

everix

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
@The guy who said he sounds like a manager. It sounds to me like he did most of the work and other people lended assistance where needed. He can't voice all the characters himself and if he's not an artist, he can't make all the textures himself. What it sounds like he did is create the entire area himself and add all of the content in that area. That is absolutely not being a manager.

everix

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
@The guy who said he sounds like a manager. It sounds to me like he did most of the work and other people lended assistance where needed. He can't voice all the characters himself and if he's not an artist, he can't make all the textures himself. What it sounds like he did is create the entire area himself and add all of the content in that area. That is absolutely not being a manager.

Firstly, he didn't farm out the work, he did the vast majority himself and hired out things that he simply could not do (voice acting and advanced modeling).
Secondly, even had he farmed out the majority of the work it is still very impressive for someone that young to take such a commanding role and finish a product.
Thirdly, (and I mean this in the kindest way possible) screw Bethsada! If this kid has that much drive, imagination, and capability then he simply does not belong at a company like Bethsada. Large companies are looking for talented people they can churn through their system to push out games. It is a lot of hours, firm deadlines, and often times not nearly the pay. This kid should start a kickstarter, but the rights to use a game engine, and make his own games. A few years in school, or in a management position somewhere may help his cause a bit, but honestly if he could push out a 25 hour game in ~2,000 hours (including a lot of learning time in there) then he would be much better suited to his own thing rather than starting entry at a company doing a single task and having to work his way up. Bethsada is a great company, but it would be unwise for them to trust a 'kid' in anything other than a starting position, and someone with his skills and motive will find themselves very depressed to spend weeks on a single task of modeling, or texturing, or any other single position.

hyperdrive3

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
God damn, this guy has amazing dedication. He did pretty much everything from project directing, art design, project planning and the programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.