News Gamers Start Embracing Windows 11, as Per New Steam Data

rdmetz

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
Be interesting to know how many of those systems were running WindowBlinds or another shell to eradicate the horrid Mac-like UI...
Does it really matter?

For those that care they can easily fix and for those that don't well... They might actually like it.

I started using openshell basically as soon windows 8/10 went away from the standard of 7 and while I've upgraded to every version since basically day 1 without issue.

Meanwhile I've tried to "help" many of my friends and family by doing the same and most have either said no or if I did it they just went back to the original style after a while.

The fact is majority of users don't really care and easily adapt to and eventually prefer the new standard.

Let them keep evolving those of us who don't like it have options and who knows maybe one day they come up with an option that's even better.

I don't think they have personally... Yet... But that's why I still have the option to make things like they were in 7.

I wouldn't want them to NEVER evolve otherwise we never would have gotten the 7 style to begin with.

Reactions: KyaraM

bmtphoenix

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
The change can easily be just people buying new PCs and laptops. People who buy those literally cannot choose and have to go with 11, and most aren't savvy enough to go back to 10 even if they wanted to, which they probably don't because 11 is the new and shiny.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
im STILL waiting to even SEE a steam survey prompt, its only been, maybe 8 years that i have used steam.

one of the reasons why steam, should be used as a reference, not as a standard, to gauge usage details, and how many X video cards are being used, and how many people are using win 10 or 11, etc. out of all those that use steam, how many of them actually get the steam survey prompt ?

hannibal

Distinguished
I did "update" to win11 after the Christmas. No problems at all, but I would still recommended to wait 6 to 12 month. New os is always a risky busines. Our company moves to win11 in the next autumn, so I decided to try it before hand. So far, so good but there are so many combinations of PC hardware, that you may be the unlucky one. Windows has normally been rather good about one and half years after release.

Reactions: Why_Me
...Windows 11 has made its first foray above 20% market share – up 1.64% to 21.23% in June. Windows 10 still looks unassailable at 71.26%. However, the drop of 2.63% is quite a significant one...
...Elsewhere in the OS charts, OSX is continuing to make small gains (making up 2.35% of Steam users in June), as is Linux (1.18%), but nothing seismic is happening in these minor areas of the Steam user base.
I wouldn't read too much into the exact numbers when looking at changes from one month to the next. For example, the survey shows MacOS with an increase in market share of 0.25 percentage points from the previous month. Coming from 2.20% up to 2.45% that would be huge, implying an 11% increase in Mac users on Steam. However, the nearly 13 year-old Windows 7 (32/64 bit) seemingly saw an even larger increase, going from 2.53% in May up to 3.17% in June, implying a 25% increase in Windows 7 users, or a 0.64 percentage point increase overall. Now, obviously, that scenario seems unlikely, so it's clear that Steam's sampling of systems is likely affecting these results.

And actually, if we check the previous month's hardware survey (on archive.org), we see that Windows 10 actually saw an increase of 0.32 percentage points that month, while MacOS share plummeted by 0.35 percentage points, implying a 14% reduction in Mac users. And Windows 7 users dropped by 0.57 percentage points that month, implying an 18% reduction in users. And while Windows overall appeared to lose 0.31 percentage points to Mac and Linux this month, the previous month it gained 0.37 percentage points, resulting in it being up overall when both months are considered. So in reality, Mac and Linux seem to not be making any notable gains against Windows on Steam, or at least the short-term survey data isn't implying that.

Really though, as these numbers jumping around should indicate, you shouldn't read much into monthly changes, as there is just too much noise for the results to be meaningful. I would rather see Valve report something like a 12-month average change to better indicate trends in a way that is less likely to be skewed as much by sample changes from one month to the next. But even there, things like increased expansion into certain markets can affect the demographic being sampled. So if Windows 7 is more popular in a country like China, for example, and the Chinese user-base grows (or things like Internet cafes mess with results), you could see an increase in that OS's market share, even if install numbers are actually falling overall. Being able to filter results to certain regions, or to systems with certain classes of hardware, could make the survey results a lot more meaningful, but Valve isn't bothering with that, or at least they are not making those tools publicly available.

So articles like these comparing monthly changes are a bit silly. Or at the very least, the author should take the time to analyze trends beyond one month if they actually want to report some meaningful data on trends. There's little doubt that Windows 11 installs will continue increasing as people move to new hardware or install the free update, but the Steam Hardware Survey isn't a particularly accurate way to measure that.

Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
The change can easily be just people buying new PCs and laptops. People who buy those literally cannot choose and have to go with 11, and most aren't savvy enough to go back to 10 even if they wanted to, which they probably don't because 11 is the new and shiny.
There are still plenty of Win10 laptops sold where I live, though. Or laptops without OS. So, not quite true.

And also, contrary to all the woofin and tweetin about "OMG How horrible Win 11 is!!"....there really isn't THAT much difference.
It took me a whole day to get used to 11 vs 10.
That's true. Also, you can change the main difference on the desktop the taskbar, back to what it was under any previous Windows. Unless you want to put it, say, on the left vertical edge of the screen. Then it's frick you I guess...

im STILL waiting to even SEE a steam survey prompt, its only been, maybe 8 years that i have used steam.

one of the reasons why steam, should be used as a reference, not as a standard, to gauge usage details, and how many X video cards are being used, and how many people are using win 10 or 11, etc. out of all those that use steam, how many of them actually get the steam survey prompt ?
I got it a couple of times, actually. Not every month, but at least once a year.

Bro linux is trash.

There's a reason they literally can't give it away for free.
Except it's literally not. The biggest issue is has is that programs aren't available for it, like Adobe, and that games are a bit tricky to set up. The fiest can be handled by using FOSS alternative and the latter is massively improved by Steam to the point that most about anything on Steam is no issue anymore. The rest is a couple extra steps. Personal experience here.

Microsoft is also borrowing a feature from Xbox The Windows HDR Calibration app will allow PC gamers to improve color accuracy and consistency on their HDR display. This feature is already available on Xbox consoles which also support HDR, so it only makes sense for Microsoft to bring it over to Windows 11, too.
DG Paystub
I love Auto HDR, too. Makes games so much more vivid.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Unless you want to put it, say, on the left vertical edge of the screen. Then it's frick you I guess...

To recap. Microsoft broke the Taskbar. It then gathered feedback about the missing features. And it will only bring back some of them based on the volume of the complaints it receives. And the people who want to move the Taskbar to other screen edges are just not a big or important enough audience to worry about.
https://www.thurrott.com/windows/wi...-plans-to-let-you-move-the-windows-11-taskbar

if enough people had complained about it, it might have happened.

KyaraM

Admirable
I wouldn't read too much into the exact numbers when looking at changes from one month to the next. For example, the survey shows MacOS with an increase in market share of 0.25 percentage points from the previous month. Coming from 2.20% up to 2.45% that would be huge, implying an 11% increase in Mac users on Steam. However, the nearly 13 year-old Windows 7 (32/64 bit) seemingly saw an even larger increase, going from 2.53% in May up to 3.17% in June, implying a 25% increase in Windows 7 users, or a 0.64 percentage point increase overall. Now, obviously, that scenario seems unlikely, so it's clear that Steam's sampling of systems is likely affecting these results.

And actually, if we check the previous month's hardware survey (on archive.org), we see that Windows 10 actually saw an increase of 0.32 percentage points that month, while MacOS share plummeted by 0.35 percentage points, implying a 14% reduction in Mac users. And Windows 7 users dropped by 0.57 percentage points that month, implying an 18% reduction in users. And while Windows overall appeared to lose 0.31 percentage points to Mac and Linux this month, the previous month it gained 0.37 percentage points, resulting in it being up overall when both months are considered. So in reality, Mac and Linux seem to not be making any notable gains against Windows on Steam, or at least the short-term survey data isn't implying that.

Really though, as these numbers jumping around should indicate, you shouldn't read much into monthly changes, as there is just too much noise for the results to be meaningful. I would rather see Valve report something like a 12-month average change to better indicate trends in a way that is less likely to be skewed as much by sample changes from one month to the next. But even there, things like increased expansion into certain markets can affect the demographic being sampled. So if Windows 7 is more popular in a country like China, for example, and the Chinese user-base grows (or things like Internet cafes mess with results), you could see an increase in that OS's market share, even if install numbers are actually falling overall. Being able to filter results to certain regions, or to systems with certain classes of hardware, could make the survey results a lot more meaningful, but Valve isn't bothering with that, or at least they are not making those tools publicly available.

So articles like these comparing monthly changes are a bit silly. Or at the very least, the author should take the time to analyze trends beyond one month if they actually want to report some meaningful data on trends. There's little doubt that Windows 11 installs will continue increasing as people move to new hardware or install the free update, but the Steam Hardware Survey isn't a particularly accurate way to measure that.
Interestingly, I just read a German article stating the Linux game seems to be mainly from the Steam Deck, which gained 2% since last month from 5 to 7%, and runs on Linux.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
I got it a couple of times, actually. Not every month, but at least once a year.
not a one in 8 years, as i mentioned. steam survey stats, are usefull, but in no way paint a real picture of any thing it reports, and should be taking as just a glimpse, of how things are

Interestingly, I just read a German article stating the Linux game seems to be mainly from the Steam Deck, which gained 2% since last month from 5 to 7%, and runs on Linux.
7% of the Steam Linux userbase is still a rather tiny amount, considering that entire userbase only amounts to a little over 1% of Steam users. Looking at the numbers, 7.58% of 1.18% means all Steam Deck users combined work out to less than 0.09% of Steam users based on systems surveyed, or under 1/10th of a percent.

KyaraM

Admirable
7% of the Steam Linux userbase is still a rather tiny amount, considering that entire userbase only amounts to a little over 1% of Steam users. Looking at the numbers, 7.58% of 1.18% means all Steam Deck users combined work out to less than 0.09% of Steam users based on systems surveyed, or under 1/10th of a percent.
I was more amused that I got that article yesterday, nothing more. The difference for Linux was only a 0.06% increase from last month anyways. Seriously, most numbers look quite stable to me. I really don't get what you even want to argue here. Nobody claims Linux made huge gains or anything. Just that there might be an actual small increase in users, nothing more.