Question Games crash and GPU drivers crash as well ?

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023
I installed a new Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD. Cloned it from the old Sandisk Plus 120gb SSD using Samsung's Data Migration software. After cloning i converted the new drive to GPT and changed bios to UEFI to boot. The problem is that games crash after an hour or so of gameplay, both monitors go black, main monitor comes back to desktop, discord crashes with it for some reason, and i am able to see the crash bug reports. Radeon Software tells me that something happened and the gpu is in safe mode now and i need to reboot to use acceleration. The other crash report that i get is from the game saying that something happend and the game closed. I only got BSoD once.

It does not matter if the game is installed onto the new ssd or the other drives, nor does it matter if the new ssd is even plugged in. Something else is causing this issue. It does not matter what game im playing it'll crash. Though surprisingly some games handle it better like overwatch, and it's been a while since fortnite crashed. Minecraft, No Man's Sky, Fortnite, Project Zomboid, Fallout 4, Deep Rock Galactic, they all crash at some point.

Things I've done to try to fix but none of these worked:
  • Update drivers to 23.4.1(latest as of now)
  • Updated windows 10
  • Revert back to old drivers, but when i did that the screens started to flicker these weird green lines and began to look like as if the screen was broken. Though i managed to fix it by factory resetting the gpu in the radeon settings.
  • When changing graphic drivers i made sure to run DDU in safe mode when swapping. I also prevented windows from installing it's own drivers. Though i'm not sure if that worked as i got some notifcations from windows that the gpu drivers did not work and windows installed its own.
  • Updated BIOS to 6042 as the newest one is still in Beta.
  • Ran Memtest 86 on my dual channel memory and they passed.
  • Stress tested a bit using Furmark and Heaven Benchmark but both cpu and gpu ran fine.
  • Made sure cables and parts were plugged in all the way.
  • Swapped Hdmi cables.
  • Installed windows 10 on the new SSD and unplugged the old ssd as a backup. Games still crashed in the windows 10 installation.
  • Ran Diagnostics test on the new SSD using Samsung Magician
  • Ran /sfc
  • Checked Who Crashed? But i guess it doesn't work as it is not a system crash. The computer is still somewhat operational after the game/monitor crash.
  • Removed the new ssd, wiped it, went back to my old ssd after giving up. Crashes still happened with the old setup.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200mhz (D.O.C.P enabled, set at 2666mhz as it is stable with my cpu)

Motherboard: PRIME B350-PLUS

GPU: MSI RX470 Armor 4GB OC

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 80+ Gold, Model:L11-500w

Storage:
Sandisk Plus 120gb (my old old boot drive in MBR)
Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD (trying to use as my new boot drive in GPT)
1TB HDD (Game installations)
500GB HDD (other programs)

Left monitor: ASUS VS228-P 60hz (connected by display port to hdmi)
Right monitor: Acer SB230 75hz

Solution
Microsoft require driver makers to supply drivers to them for digital signature so that they will work with windows. What big companies do it give them one driver and then use that signature for future drivers.

they would have a driver for your card by now.

Lutfij

Titan
installed a new Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD. Cloned it from the old Sandisk Plus 120gb SSD using Samsung's Data Migration software. After cloning i converted the new drive to GPT and changed bios to UEFI to boot.
You could've just easily reinstalled the OS anew. Where did you source the installer for the OS?

How old is the PSU in your build?

Did you manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Installed windows 10 on the new SSD and unplugged the old ssd as a backup. Games still crashed in the windows 10 installation.
Using the installer, see if you're seeing other OS related partitions on other physical drives? Did you make sure all drives were unplugged from the platform with only the drive you wanted the OS installed on being plugged to the motherboard?

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023
installed a new Samsung 980 Pro NVMe SSD. Cloned it from the old Sandisk Plus 120gb SSD using Samsung's Data Migration software. After cloning i converted the new drive to GPT and changed bios to UEFI to boot.
You could've just easily reinstalled the OS anew. Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Did you manually install all relevant drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Installed windows 10 on the new SSD and unplugged the old ssd as a backup. Games still crashed in the windows 10 installation.
Using the installer, see if you're seeing other OS related partitions on other physical drives? Did you make sure all drives were unplugged from the platform with only the drive you wanted the OS installed on being plugged to the motherboard?
Yup. I made sure to plug in only the Samsung 980 evo.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Removed the new ssd, wiped it, went back to my old ssd after giving up. Crashes still happened with the old setup.
so much for one idea.

i take it, that it only has 1 m.2 slot. Motherboard website isn't clear - https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-b350-plus/techspec/

what shows in reliability history at times of crashes? there will be hardware errors as windows sees an unexpected restart as an error, but anything else might help.

Crash defender is there to stop the GPU causing a BSOD

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023
The current PSU is a replacement from 2 years ago. I had a 430w psu that caused specific games like warframe and oblivion to completely shut off my computer.
I got theCreate Windows 10 installation Media from the microsoft website and used a USB to boot off of.
The current PSU is a replacement from 2 years ago. I had a 430w psu that caused specific games like warframe and oblivion to completely shut off my computer.
I installed the BIOS also through an empty USB using the EZ flash 3. And for the gpu drivers i downloaded the drivers from the amd website and ran the exe installation.
Yes I installed windows 10 on the new blank ssd without any of the other drives installed.

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023
so much for one idea.

i take it, that it only has 1 m.2 slot. Motherboard website isn't clear - https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/motherboards/prime/prime-b350-plus/techspec/

what shows in reliability history at times of crashes? there will be hardware errors as windows sees an unexpected restart as an error, but anything else might help.

Crash defender is there to stop the GPU causing a BSOD
Yeah it has only 1 m.2 slot right under the cpu.
I was not aware of reliability history being a thing. Though checking the dates on these past two weeks, there was one day that has the hardware error.

Source
Windows
Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎3/‎31/‎2023 6:24 PM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 144
Parameter 1: 3003
Parameter 2: ffffa00c602806b0
Parameter 3: 40010000
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19044
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19044.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

However other programs that have crashed like fortnite dont show up on these dates. Only minecraft and armello. Armello i launch everyday for claiming free dice but everytime i close it, it crashes.

Though there is one that shows up frequently is AMD Softwaree: Host Application

Source
AMD Software: Host Application

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎4/‎15/‎2023 10:17 PM

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Radeonsoftware.exe
Application Version: 10.1.2.1963
Application Timestamp: 63efc4a0
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.0.19041.2788
Fault Module Timestamp: 62e593d6
Exception Code: c0000602
Exception Offset: 0000000000117cd2
OS Version: 10.0.19045.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 63a5
Additional Information 2: 63a55991a7ced7bdd523811184f5f938
Additional Information 3: c2d2
Additional Information 4: c2d2941c97af3b3dc8649d8e3ff25e19

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 1801e6b02387bb76761911b053274d77 (1592323392259181943)

Colif

Win 11 Master
xrQ4InK.jpeg

this is a vram error. As it says, try reducing settings

SQ0PIoS.jpeg

that is a nasty error. I haven't run into that myself yet.
that is caused by Windows Update having an outdated driver - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...graphics/d4b0b8e4-c485-445e-b7bb-c69b89ab712b]

try running DDU in safe mode, uninstall GPU drivers, boot back into nromal mode and dl newest drivers for card from AMD, and also turn off automatic driver updates in windows to stop it loading them again

as for bsod,
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

whocrashed may have created a minidump already

Last edited:

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023
xrQ4InK.jpeg

this is a vram error. As it says, try reducing settings

SQ0PIoS.jpeg

that is a nasty error. I haven't run into that myself yet.
that is caused by Windows Update having an outdated driver - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...graphics/d4b0b8e4-c485-445e-b7bb-c69b89ab712b]

try running DDU in safe mode, uninstall GPU drivers, boot back into nromal mode and dl newest drivers for card from AMD, and also turn off automatic driver updates in windows to stop it loading them again

as for bsod,
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

whocrashed may have created a minidump already
I will have to do this later but I do have a few questions.

I have followed these steps in trying to prevent windows installing the drivers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...specific/9967b1cf-dc6f-495d-82be-4ab3f3207ff1
The question is would these affect the process of what you instructed me to do Method: 3 ?

A question about method 3 which is a bit unclear to me, its says "Note: Before proceeding, first, install your preferred version of the driver for the device. Once done, set up an update block/restriction using the method below:" Do i have to keep the rx470 drivers installed because it seems like im preventing my graphic card being able to update manually.

One more thing it seems like my system is already set to write an event to system log and automatically restart. While looking in the MiniDump folder, i noticed that it is empty. The BSoD did happen once way before installing WhoCrashed?

Colif

Win 11 Master
i just read method 3. Unless you have windows Pro you don't have Group policy editor so you can't really do that way.

try the 1st way here instead - https://pureinfotech.com/stop-windows-10-installing-drivers-automatically/

Do i have to keep the rx470 drivers installed because it seems like im preventing my graphic card being able to update manually.
I would stop auto updating before instaling new AMD drivers. All it does is stops windows update grabbing them, you should still be able to install them.

If BSOD was ages ago, it might not be related.

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023
i just read method 3. Unless you have windows Pro you don't have Group policy editor so you can't really do that way.

try the 1st way here instead - https://pureinfotech.com/stop-windows-10-installing-drivers-automatically/

I would stop auto updating before instaling new AMD drivers. All it does is stops windows update grabbing them, you should still be able to install them.

If BSOD was ages ago, it might not be related.
I followed the instructions and it is done. I already had AMD driver auto updating already turned off. Not sure what would be the next step.

Last edited:

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023
I ran DDU in safe mode, reinstalled the newest gpu driver, restarted the computer and i got the same warning again saying windows update may have automatically replaced yourr amd graphics driver. But after a restart it all works fine and im able to open the radeon software. Though i dont know if this is what is causing my issues

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I am not sure if its the GPU or just its drivers.
k9LcLbJ.png

That error could be either.

can you put GPU into another PC and see if it has same problems?

what drivers are you using from AMD? What version of Adrenalin?

can you give me the minidumps?

Looking into black screens with AMD Crash Defender, it appears many of those can be caused by screen resolution too high, or just an ongoing problem with AMD drivers. Overheating can also cause it.

Preserves data and keeps your system running in some cases where your system may have otherwise experienced a crash or hang.
have to assume its a software fix. I doubt it could stop a hardware problem

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023
I am not sure if its the GPU or just its drivers.
k9LcLbJ.png

That error could be either.

can you put GPU into another PC and see if it has same problems?

what drivers are you using from AMD? What version of Adrenalin?

can you give me the minidumps?

Looking into black screens with AMD Crash Defender, it appears many of those can be caused by screen resolution too high, or just an ongoing problem with AMD drivers. Overheating can also cause it.

have to assume its a software fix. I doubt it could stop a hardware problem
I don't have another pc to test parts, unfortunately :(

Currently for my RX470 I'm on driver version 23.4.1 which is the latest. I'm on the adrenalin edition.

Minidump here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/l5daizgua2vsv8b/MiniDump.zip/file

Gpu currently sits around 65-70 degrees celsius when playing games. I don't think I've changed my resolution prior or after i started to have these issues.

I also read a bit that for some reason having adrenalin software, and msi afterburner or hwinfo64 can cause issus. I'm not sure if that is true in my situation, but i did uninstall msi afterburner and hwinfo64 just in case.

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200mhz (D.O.C.P enabled, set at 2666mhz as it is stable with my cpu)

GPU: MSI RX470 Armor 4GB OC

Storage:
Sandisk Plus 120gb (my old old boot drive in MBR)
Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD (trying to use as my new boot drive in GPT)
1TB HDD (Game installations)
500GB HDD (other programs)

Left monitor: ASUS VS228-P 60hz (connected by display port to hdmi)
Right monitor: Acer SB230 75hz

When playing games, games crash, both monitors go black, main monitor comes back with crash error of the game saying that something happened and the game closed. It doesnt matter what game it is, minecraft, fortnite, deep rock galactic, no man's sky, they all crash somewhere between a few minutes to a few hours. It's a gamble of when it will crash.

However I do get bug report tool pop up from these games and sometimes i do get some sort of crash report but they are all different which requires me to restart my computer.

Bug reports here: View: https://imgur.com/a/gmou9yq

I've only gotten one blue screen and i have a mini dump file here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/l5daizgua2vsv8b/MiniDump.zip/file

WhoCrashed reports a VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR with driver amdkmdag.sys (amdkmdag+0x1502B5) and watchdog.sys (watchdog+0x3AD0) being affected.

My gpu sits at aound 65 degrees celsius when under load and the wattage is at around 85 watts when playing games. Pretty much set as the default settings in the radeon software.

Things I've done to fix but did not solve the issue:
  • Uninstall drivers using DDU and installing driver 23.4.1.
  • Uninstall drivers using DDU and installing older drivers which caused green corruption lines appearing on both monitors. I managed to fix them by factory resetting the gpu in the Radeon software
  • Disabled Multiplane Overlay
  • Re-installedd windows
  • There was another driver update 23.4.2 but that did not change anything.
  • Prevented windows from installing it's own drivers.
  • Paused windows updates
  • Uninstalled MSI Afterburner and HWInfo64.
It has been 4 weeks now and I don't have another system to test out parts nor can I afford another card. I would really appreciate any help.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Instead of getting drivers from AMD after running DDU in safe mode, try running windows update in normal mode and let it find older drivers - they still from AMD, just more stable.

Sorry I didn't answer until now, I have been busy.

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023
Instead of getting drivers from AMD after running DDU in safe mode, try running windows update in normal mode and let it find older drivers - they still from AMD, just more stable.

Sorry I didn't answer until now, I have been busy.
No worries. Just been thinking and searching for other ideas. Thanks for the help, i really do appreciate it. Unfortunately i can't take it to a repair shop. I didn't know that windows can windows can install drivers for the graphics card from amd.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Microsoft require driver makers to supply drivers to them for digital signature so that they will work with windows. What big companies do it give them one driver and then use that signature for future drivers.

Solution

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023

How would i go about doing that?

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023
So I have disabled freesync in the radeon software and that seemed to work for a couple of days. Almost a week. I knew that in the back of my head it will happen again. it was just matter of time. But i thought i was i was in the clear. And then it happened again. same radeon bug error. trying to open radeon ssoftware says that windows update may have automatically replaced your amd graphics driver.

Big Feef

Prominent
Mar 30, 2023

I uninstalled radeon drivers and the software, I ran the windows update to install the drivers and after a month of playing, i haven't had the same issue pop up ever again. I occasionally get discord or firefox freezing up my whole computer at times, and the sometimes memory heap corruption blue screen once in a while. But i guess it is safe to say that the black screen and drivers uninstalling has been fixed.