[SOLVED] Games crashing to desktop without any error messages ?

Mar 1, 2024
Hey guys, first post here! My friend assembled new parts (CPU, RAM, MOBO, PSU) to my PC in late November. After few weeks of gaming I started to encounter weird crashes to desktop. No bluescreens etc. Desktop is running smoothly, and all the problems are occuring while ingame. Doesn't matter which game I play, everything shuts down suddenly. For example CS2, Lethal company, WoW and Rocket league. Weird part is that they typically do not leave any error codes that could help me troubleshoot. Nothing relevant to event monitoring nor system information either (atleast I cant make any use of it with my knowledge).

SPECS:
GPU: Nvidia 3080 Gaming Z Trio (OLD)
CPU: Intel i9-14900k (NEW)
RAM: Corsair 2x 16gb 6200mhz (CMH32GX5M2B6200C36) (NEW)
MOBO: ASUS TUF-GAMING-Z790-PLUS-WIFI (NEW)
PSU: Corsair 1000W RM1000x (2021) modular ATX-PSU (NEW)
AIR COOLING: Noctua NH-15D (OLD)
Few HDDs and SSDs (OLD)

• Things that I have done already, but crashes keep occuring:
  • Reinstalled games to different SSD/HDD
  • Updated BIOS to latest one
  • Rolled back to previous GPU driver (didnt work so switched back to most recent update)
  • Updated every driver I could ever find to hardware
  • Updated to Windows 11
  • Reinstalled windows from desktop, and from bios with USB
  • Ran Memtest86, 0 errors
  • Ran windows ram test (mdsched.exe), 0 errors
  • Bought new RAM's
  • No OC on GPU or CPU
  • Thermalpaste reapplied, temperatures shouldnt be a problem
  • Ran windows repair tool sfc/scannow
  • Ran 20mins of Furmark, nothing unusual
  • Ran few antimalware scans, nothing unusual
  • Ran "Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool", CPU passing every "test"

Only game that has ever given me error code is WoW. "Program: H:\Battle.net\World of Warcraft\_retail_\Wow.exeException: ACCES_VIOLATION - The instruction at "0x00007ff6970e9bdf" referenced memory at "0xffffffffffffffff";The memory could not be "read",ProcessID: 31436ThreadID: 40044"
Obviously this being the only hint I reached on to Blizzard support for more detailed information and they responded me like so:
"Sounds like you were experiencing crashes in WoW and other games. I definitely know that it is never fun when you run into issues like this, and I want to let you know that we will do everything in our power to help you get it resolved.

Looking over the crash and your system files this appears to be a crash related to your NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 card. In the Windows error logs we can see many LiveKernelEvent code 141 errors and these would indicate GPU driver timeouts, which means that the GPU crashed or stopped responding for a short time. This could be an issue with the GPU clock speed being unstable or it could be some kind of hardware issue or power delivery issue to the GPU.”

After this incident I immediately switched to my old GPU (1070), and as you might guess, games are still crashing. One weird thing I discovered few weeks ago, I was curious to see what would happen if I tried one of the OC profiles from bios. So I applied the "Fast tuning" preset from bios, and launched to windows. After a while of gaming I noticed that the game crashes have decreased significantly. For example, before the OC preset, I would crash like 20 times a day in WoW but now with OC preset I crash max once per day. With the OC preset I also noticed that in CS2 and Rocket League 90% of the crashes happen right as I'm about to join a match/server. Then after I manage to get in, I might play for 2 hours without crash. Then again, while joining match the game suddenly crashes to desktop.

So in my eyes, the GPU and RAMs should be clear. Temperatures shouldn't be a problem. I think OS stuff is also ruled out, since I've had these experiences with Windows 10, Windows 11 and even after reinstalling the os. So my thoughts are that the CPU/MOBO/PSU is causing the issue. This chain of events has lasted from December to this day. I have not had the energy on this topic after realizing the OC preset kinda helped me a bit. Now I might try something new. What kind of things would you recommend? I'll probably test out with my old PSU (750W) to rule out any PSU related issues in the upcoming days. Might need to test with old MOBO and CPU combo aswell. I have warranty for all of these hardware, but Im in a difficult situation in my life where I need my PC daily to do my school/work stuff so I cant really send the hardware back to the store for at least few months. So tips are welcome on how to locate the root cause of all this mess.

DISCLAIMER: I am fairly bad at tech stuff, my PC assembling experience is limited to changing GPU and RAM. So monkey explanation is sometimes needed for me to understand.

Ralston18

Titan
Noted "without error messages".

Do you mean no error messages appearing on the screen at the time of the crash?

Windows includes some troubleshooting utilities that do capture error information when system problems occur.

Look in Reliability History/Monitor for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

The error code details may or may not be helpful.

Reliability History is end user friendly and presents a timeline format that can reveal patterns.

Also look in Event Viewer. Not as user friendly and requires more time and effort to navigate and understand.
To help:

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

And take a look in Update History for any problem or failed updates.

Objective being to discover one or more error codes that correspond with crash times.

Mar 1, 2024
I was running into a very similar issue as you my friend. I went through 72 hours of troubleshooting, trying everything known to man. The issue appears on 13th gen intel with mainly ASUS boards I've noticed. The solution I've found was to change the SVID behavior in the BIOS from "Auto" to something defined. The way to do that is:
  • Boot to BIOS
  • Navigate to "AI Tweaker" at the top
  • Go to "SVID Behavior." It should be right under XMP, Asus Multicore Enhancement, and Intel Adaptive Boost.
  • Change it from "Auto," and test each setting. In my case, I got stability on "Worst-case Scenario", but still crash in Helldivers 2 so I ran it on "Intel Failsafe" for a bit.
It should run flawlessly on Intel Failsafe, you will just see increased Temps, and increased voltage draw. Let me know if this helps!

Mar 1, 2024
Noted "without error messages".

Do you mean no error messages appearing on the screen at the time of the crash?

Windows includes some troubleshooting utilities that do capture error information when system problems occur.

Look in Reliability History/Monitor for any error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

The error code details may or may not be helpful.

Reliability History is end user friendly and presents a timeline format that can reveal patterns.

Also look in Event Viewer. Not as user friendly and requires more time and effort to navigate and understand.
To help:

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

And take a look in Update History for any problem or failed updates.

Objective being to discover one or more error codes that correspond with crash times.
Hey, thank you for answering. Yes I meant exactly that nothing pops up in the screen. I have tried to look up reliability history and event viewer before, but as I said I'm fairly bad at tech stuff so I dont really know what components I need to pick up from the errors. I can link gyazo from one of the crash results here (sorry half of the text is in Finnish): https://gyazo(dot)com/3b3cd5dc49386753375f94c9f684339a

I'll take a look on the "How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer" when I have time. Seems like many of the crashes have the "nvgpucomp64.dll" part somewhere in the details. I'll leave few more gyazos of the error details here in case it gives someone an idea on what we are dealing with.
https://gyazo(dot)com/70e738ee55fbc609a4fd4a1a88af48da
https://gyazo(dot)com/5ae4d0c1a945d4e7178b45e5bb03beaa
https://gyazo(dot)com/1dad16f2feca543044888d697ed0c42c

Sorry, the webpage didnt allow me to post links that work. Dont know how to use this forum.

Mar 1, 2024
I was running into a very similar issue as you my friend. I went through 72 hours of troubleshooting, trying everything known to man. The issue appears on 13th gen intel with mainly ASUS boards I've noticed. The solution I've found was to change the SVID behavior in the BIOS from "Auto" to something defined. The way to do that is:
  • Boot to BIOS
  • Navigate to "AI Tweaker" at the top
  • Go to "SVID Behavior." It should be right under XMP, Asus Multicore Enhancement, and Intel Adaptive Boost.
  • Change it from "Auto," and test each setting. In my case, I got stability on "Worst-case Scenario", but still crash in Helldivers 2 so I ran it on "Intel Failsafe" for a bit.
It should run flawlessly on Intel Failsafe, you will just see increased Temps, and increased voltage draw. Let me know if this helps!
Hey, thank you for these tips. Will test these out later. So lets say my PC works normally after I set these settings, is my CPU faulty then? Or is this a "feature" of the i9's lol. Meaning by, if I were to hypothetically send the hardware to manufacturer for warranty service and they would give me new product, would I still encounter the same issue with the new CPU (with all the other components I have)?

Mar 1, 2024
Hey, thank you for these tips. Will test these out later. So lets say my PC works normally after I set these settings, is my CPU faulty then? Or is this a "feature" of the i9's lol. Meaning by, if I were to hypothetically send the hardware to manufacturer for warranty service and they would give me new product, would I still encounter the same issue with the new CPU (with all the other components I have)?
Intel Failsafe is intel's default SVID behavior. To my knowledge, any setting other than that is a "lottery" setting, where it typically undervolts your cpu to give you less Temps. If it doesn't work on those settings, but on the default behavior, just got a bad luck of the draw. If it doesn't work on the default behavior set by intel, then it's a bad processor and I would go forward with an RMA process. Just expect higher temps on more voltage and change performance expectations accordingly.

Mar 1, 2024
Intel Failsafe is intel's default SVID behavior. To my knowledge, any setting other than that is a "lottery" setting, where it typically undervolts your cpu to give you less Temps. If it doesn't work on those settings, but on the default behavior, just got a bad luck of the draw. If it doesn't work on the default behavior set by intel, then it's a bad processor and I would go forward with an RMA process. Just expect higher temps on more voltage and change performance expectations accordingly.
Alright, I tried with the Intel Failsafe setting and went on and turned the OC preset off. I played a whole cs2 match without a crash (which has not happened in few months). I was quite hopeful that these settings would be the solver for my problems. After that I logged in to WoW and played for a while, but somehow crashed to desktop once again. Same thing happened with Rocket League, played for a bit and the game suddenly crashed. So what to make out of this? CPU is faulty? Here are the crashlogs from Event Viewer:
https://gyazo(dot)com/457a07c059b953f5c5c0e6a050cdf47c
https://gyazo(dot)com/db6f6957d206b0086c081e9fdea7288d

Mar 1, 2024
Alright, I tried with the Intel Failsafe setting and went on and turned the OC preset off. I played a whole cs2 match without a crash (which has not happened in few months). I was quite hopeful that these settings would be the solver for my problems. After that I logged in to WoW and played for a while, but somehow crashed to desktop once again. Same thing happened with Rocket League, played for a bit and the game suddenly crashed. So what to make out of this? CPU is faulty? Here are the crashlogs from Event Viewer:
https://gyazo(dot)com/457a07c059b953f5c5c0e6a050cdf47c
https://gyazo(dot)com/db6f6957d206b0086c081e9fdea7288d
At this point, I would do Intel Failsafe, make sure XMP, Asus Multicore Enhancement, and Intel Adaptive Boost are all disabled and try again. If you're still crashing, I would proceed with an RMA request.

Mar 1, 2024
At this point, I would do Intel Failsafe, make sure XMP, Asus Multicore Enhancement, and Intel Adaptive Boost are all disabled and try again. If you're still crashing, I would proceed with an RMA request.
Tried with these settings, and yeah... still crashed on multiple occasions. I guess the MOBO/CPU is faulty then.

Mar 27, 2024
I've had game crashes for no reason on all games for ages. Runs perfectly, but after 15-30 minutes it just stops and goes to desktop with no errors. I turned off XMP and they ran fine - but now I wasn't getting my advertised RAM speed.

Just found my fix - Don't know if it will be this simple for you, but I hope it is.

Turn off XMP and test your games. If they now work without crashes, some overclocking stability is needed (XMP is technically overclocking).

Go back to bios. Find and turn up your DRAM Voltage slightly by several points (1.200 to 1.260 / 1.320 to 1.380 - something like this) - turn on your XMP again.

It may take a couple of goes and don't over-do it, but this fixed it for me going from 1.350 to 1.400 for 64GB RAM @ 3600Hz.
I was just upgrading from Nvidea to an AMD gpu and watching some videos, and this guy suddenly said what I needed to do lol.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqmrXU1fsEc&t=1563s

--- go to 22:55 - This isn't an AMD or Nvidea issue only - it happened before my upgrade from green to red too.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2024
Sent the processor and mobo back to the company for troubleshooting. This is the answer that I got.

"Hi
Your RMA case ****** has now been processed and a replacement product has been ordered.
The processor you returned was found to be defective and will be replaced with a guaranteed replacement. The motherboard you returned appears to be working normally and this will be returned to you.
You will be notified when the products have been posted."

Unlucky.