[SOLVED] Games crashing to desktop

Dec 11, 2020
Afternoon everyone.

Got my new pc up and running now(using it now for this forum post), and have installed NVidia's latest drivers, as well as audio drivers and the chipset driver. The only issue is that when i launch a game, it crashes back to the desktop. The pc works fine other than that, as i can watch videos, browse the web etc. Any idea on what could be the cause?

PC specs as follows:
GeForce RTX 3070 (MSI Gaming X Trio) Driver version 460.79
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x (Flashed BIOS before building)
Cooler Master 212 RGB Black Edition
Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3600MHZ RAM
MSI X570 tomahawk Wifi
RMX 650W PSU
1920 x 1080 @60Hz

Solution
I would not have that built that rig with that size power supply, I would have gone bigger and I would have chosen a good dual rail as well. PS issues can be tough to troubleshoot but it "sounds" to me like when your card starts sucking hard when all the gpu cores ramp up it all goes to hell. Of course if that was the case I'd think your test beds would be displaying the same behavior. You already decided to wonder about your PS do you have one you can borrow from someone just to test. I'm sure you looked for bios updates already? Anyone lend you another video card to test with? If this was the ancient days I'd be wondering about my ram if you have multiple sticks try one at a time to see if you have a marginal stick you chose...
Dec 11, 2020
So far I've tried Rust, Elder Scrolls V and drunken wrestlers and all of these crash to desktop. Getting to the menu is fine but when i click play/load into a server it crashes to desktop as if i pressed alt + f4. I can run the Unigine Heaven Benchmark with no issues but for some reason won't play the games i've tried. Temps under load averaged 65 degrees

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Go to answers would be to check temps, thermal paste/CPU, turn off XMP or OC, so forth.
I cannot imagine a world where you couldn't run Ultra and better setting with that GPU at 1080/60, so can't really recommend to lower settings, lol.
Check all your connections inside.
Run memtest or similar.

Dec 11, 2020
Go to answers would be to check temps, thermal paste/CPU, turn off XMP or OC, so forth.
I cannot imagine a world where you couldn't run Ultra and better setting with that GPU at 1080/60, so can't really recommend to lower settings, lol.
Check all your connections inside.
Run memtest or similar.
I'm really sorry for the late reply! I have checked temps and they always sit around 60-65 degrees for both GPU (Unigine Heaven)/CPU(Prime95) on stress tests. I did notice the CPU's clock speed rising to 4.5GHZ in one of the Prime95 tests, even though my CPU should only be at 3.7GHZ? I made sure to turn off XMP in the BIOS, but again made no difference. Managed to run memtest86 which is why it took so long to get back to you lol. Results were all positive for CPU/RAM though (y)
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/mvlCjLu

Dec 11, 2020
Ok, so I have changed it so the GPU is running off of two cables now, in case it was not receiving enough power through the daisy chain it was originally on. The crashes have still carried on, even after wiping the drivers, installing them from scratch again. Some games like Colony Survival and other low impact games run but that's about it. Not to mention that occasionally when I restart the PC, nothing posts on the screen and so I have to hit the reset button on the case for it to actually show on the screen. Have to do this 3 times sometimes before anything actually happens. At this point I'm not sure if its windows, faulty drivers, faulty GPU or even a faulty PSU. Any recommendations as to what I should do next would be awesome? Hitting a wall here 😓

itsallpoo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2014
I would not have that built that rig with that size power supply, I would have gone bigger and I would have chosen a good dual rail as well. PS issues can be tough to troubleshoot but it "sounds" to me like when your card starts sucking hard when all the gpu cores ramp up it all goes to hell. Of course if that was the case I'd think your test beds would be displaying the same behavior. You already decided to wonder about your PS do you have one you can borrow from someone just to test. I'm sure you looked for bios updates already? Anyone lend you another video card to test with? If this was the ancient days I'd be wondering about my ram if you have multiple sticks try one at a time to see if you have a marginal stick you chose good stuff but chips that pass a test can still be iffy. Every time MS pushes out "feature updates" for win 10 I start having crashes in many of my games so make sure you've got all the M$ garbage loaded that fixes me up most of the time too.

Solution