nickfurio

Prominent
May 5, 2019
Hi all, Just ran in to a problem tonight that is a little eye opening for me. Me and a buddy decided to load up Borderlands 2 a relatively old game just for the heck of it. I have a
RTX 2070 Super
Intel i7 8700k CPU 4.0GHZ
16 Gigs Ram
Running 1920x1080 at 144HZ

Me and him have basically the same machine minus some cosmetic things of course. At 1080p with everything on max which should be fine, I was dropping to 60 in and bouncing from 80-90-100. He (again with the same machine) was at 1440p and getting a non stop constant 144 fps. I have had other problems as well with Modern Warfare stutters and dips to 120 and even Arkham Knight on max struggling to hit 80 and stuttering. Does anyone know what's going on? Or is this somehow normal?

Solution
What Power Supply do you have?

Did you have any AMD drivers installed before on that system?

Things you can try:

Check if you have power options set to high performance in Windows (if not set it to high performance)

Install MSI After Burner with Riva Tuner and check what GPU usage you have when you play games and if something is getting hot

Check if something is loose inside your pc (especially your GPU if you see that it's not all the way in give it a little push, same goes to all power connectors)

In Nvidia 3D settings (in control panel) set global settings to performance (or you can watch some tutorial for performance boost for nvidia cards)

Reinstall drivers (or try to use different one)

nickfurio

Prominent
May 5, 2019
SSD or mechanical disk ?
Drivers ?
Anything else running in the background that reqs CPU ? Check your running processes via Task Manager before firing up the game and see what the CPU and GPU usage is like.
Operating System is on an SSD. Everything else on HDD. Latest NVIDIA Drivers 452.0. Only thing in background is discord and of course all of windows stuff.

Aug 27, 2020
What Power Supply do you have?

Did you have any AMD drivers installed before on that system?

Things you can try:

Check if you have power options set to high performance in Windows (if not set it to high performance)

Install MSI After Burner with Riva Tuner and check what GPU usage you have when you play games and if something is getting hot

Check if something is loose inside your pc (especially your GPU if you see that it's not all the way in give it a little push, same goes to all power connectors)

In Nvidia 3D settings (in control panel) set global settings to performance (or you can watch some tutorial for performance boost for nvidia cards)

Reinstall drivers (or try to use different one)

Solution
Aug 23, 2020
This may sound weird but try booking your computer up to his 1440p display and see if that is the issue it could be the game was updated for 1440p as newer tech came out and they never updated the game for 1080p on newer devices