Gaming: 3 cores vs 4?

zach377

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
Hello, I am in the process of building a gaming comp and I'm hung up about my processor. I can't decide between AMD Athlon II x3, which has three cores but faster clock speed, or the Athlon II x4 with 4 cores and a slower speed (I would overclock regardless, but x4 has less o/c potential too). I guess the question is, will the higher speed of the 3 cores be make more of a difference than the extra core?

zach377

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
If you are overclocking regardless why do you care about the frequency speed difference?

Both CPUs have about the same oveclocking potential, so if you got around the same overclock frequency on both CPUs (about 3.6 GHz) then the CPU with the additional core would be the obvious choice.

I seemed to get the idea after reading that the x3 had more o/c potential than the x4. But if you're right than the x4 would be obvious. Also keep in mind though that I wont have spectacular cooling or voltage (650 Watts) so it is a factor that the x4 might not be able to get the same results in my setup. Ill look into that though...

*Also I do mean the Athlon x3, Im not looking to get a Phenom (its a budget comp)

Then the X4 would seem to be a better buy.

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
The Athlon II and Phenom II architecture are exactly the same, its just the Athlon II's have less cache. Therefore they both will overclock almost the same (chips vary). Max OC for both is usually around 3.8ghz, sometimes 4 if your lucky. You could probably get to 3.2 on stock voltages pretty easily.

For just gaming, I would go with the Phenom II X3 720 because of the added L3 cache, it adds quite a bit to gaming performance.

Heres a direct comparison between the AII X4 620 and the PII X3 720 at stock speeds:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=106&p2=83