[SOLVED] Gaming HEADSET under 200$? Looking for an open-back. All information in the post. Already have 2 candidates.

africsnail

Reputable
Jul 9, 2017
Let's start with the required info:
  • budget: 200$
  • source: Unfortunately, my motherboard (Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero)
  • how will it be used: Primarily as a headset for gaming FPS, but also for movies and songs (EDM: dubstep, trap, etc.) I would say it'll be used 75% gaming, 25% everything else.
  • what am I looking for: Most important for me is a good sound location for gaming, then everything else. I also need a headset (headphones with integrated mic)
  • open or closed back: I heard open backs are a lot better for gaming and I play alone in quite silent room (so I think it's the right way).
I was already looking into this for some time and I found a couple of headsets probably fitting my needs:
  • Sennheiser game one (About 170$ if I order it from Amazon Germany, can't get it for less here in EU)
  • Cooler master MH752 (About 80$ locally) I know it's closed back, but it has good mic and gaming performance for the price.
You will probably say the game ones are fine, but I have few concerns about them:
  • That my mobo soundcard won't drive them
  • That I won't like the understated low end / bass that they have according to reviews
  • Also about the velvet padding getting dirty really quick (I have a long haired cat)
Sadly, I don't currently have more budget to squeeze an AMP/DAC combo into.
I'm open to new configs, headsets, combinations of some gear, etc.
Thank you for help.

Solution
I'd recommend the Razer Electra V2. I'm using it myself and I'm very satisfied with this headset. It goes for around €60,- (3,5mm audiojack) to €70,- (USB) and it's a very decent deal.

If you do buy it: get a popfilter for the mic (this isn't included).

One big plus is that the mic can be removed if you're using the headset purely for listening.

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
I'd recommend the Razer Electra V2. I'm using it myself and I'm very satisfied with this headset. It goes for around €60,- (3,5mm audiojack) to €70,- (USB) and it's a very decent deal.

One big plus is that the mic can be removed if you're using the headset purely for listening.

Solution

africsnail

Reputable
Jul 9, 2017

Thanks for tip.

Reactions: gamerbrehdy